Gravy's Cooking Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
it's really ergonomic for looking like a medievil weapon
This took me down a 10 minute rabbit hole of medieval torturers getting repetitive motion injuries and forming unions. I feel like there’s gotta be a Farside comic or Monty Python skit about this somewhere

Kiki

Log Wizard
Was actually thinking about trying to use that with a skirt steak, even though I can cook them nice and tender, I'm just more curious if using that as a tenderizing method I can get even better results.

Its normally pretty good if I don't spill as much, I guess I will take a teaspoon next time instead of pouring it. I make some Gochujang sauce for it and it's amazing.

As far as meat tenderizers I use the Jaccard (again because I'm fancy). It's not too bad to clean:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Its normally pretty good if I don't spill as much, I guess I will take a teaspoon next time instead of pouring it. I make some Gochujang sauce for it and it's amazing.

As far as meat tenderizers I use the Jaccard (again because I'm fancy). It's not too bad to clean:

For whatever reason the Amazon link didn't work. I just shows up failed emoji deal.

What do you make your gochujang sauce with, or how do you make it?

I'm a little bit leery of it right now cuz when I made stir fry to test out the new wok, I put a big keeping tablespoon of the trader Joe's brand in, please I think that's the one, and my gut hasn't been right since then. I love the stuff, it adds such a great flavor and just the right amount of heat, but there's something in it that just doesn't agree with my stomach biome or whatever the hell my wife calls it.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
For whatever reason the Amazon link didn't work. I just shows up failed emoji deal.

I'm a little bit leery of it right now cuz when I made stir fry to test out the new wok, I put a big keeping tablespoon of the trader Joe's brand in, please I think that's the one, and my gut hasn't been right since then. I love the stuff, it adds such a great flavor and just the right amount of heat, but there's something in it that just doesn't agree with my stomach biome or whatever the hell my wife calls it.
The Trader Joe’s gochujang is mediocre. Get some from an Asian market if you can, or Amazon
Also, the stomach stuff could be the fermentation.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The Trader Joe’s gochujang is mediocre. Get some from an Asian market if you can, or Amazon
Also, the stomach stuff could be the fermentation.
Yeah I'm sure they're more authentic brands that have better flavor, I think the wife just picked it up at some point and I use it here and there. Not as if I'm not throwing lots of other aromatics and stuff in with whatever I cook when I do Asian.

I don't necessarily think it's the fermentation. I can eat sauerkraut, pickles, etc and never bothers me. Maybe it was something else that I had put into the stir fry, it was all basic ingredients I've always cooked with, other than using some of that.

There's just got to be some sort of ingredient or spice in there that really screwed me up. I've been eating bland stuff all week despite having got a pork butt on sale and turned it into a couple of porchettas and I'd really love to cook one this weekend and freeze the other. Kind of altered my recipe so maybe try to get it a lot like the place I remember from up in Minnesota / Wisconsin. Just excited to see if I can replicate it, and I'm hungry for something with some real flavor.

Kiki

Log Wizard

Just look up Jaccard, you'll find it, it's like $25 or something on Amazon.

Gochujang, ginger, onion, garlic, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds, maybe some white pepper, green onion if you feel fancy. Super easy, you get the sugar and spicyness from the gochujang. Its good on chicken and veggies too. You can make it separate or marinate or both. I've also used sriracha/sugar instead of gochujang if none is handy. I use msg/jaccard/baking soda/whatever to tenderize the meat beforehand, then marinate 30 min in the sauce.

Soy sauce tenderizes as well so I tried overnight in the sauce and that was a mistake, it just turned to mush.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I'm sure they're more authentic brands that have better flavor, I think the wife just picked it up at some point and I use it here and there. Not as if I'm not throwing lots of other aromatics and stuff in with whatever I cook when I do Asian.

I don't necessarily think it's the fermentation. I can eat sauerkraut, pickles, etc and never bothers me. Maybe it was something else that I had put into the stir fry, it was all basic ingredients I've always cooked with, other than using some of that.

There's just got to be some sort of ingredient or spice in there that really screwed me up. I've been eating bland stuff all week despite having got a pork butt on sale and turned it into a couple of porchettas and I'd really love to cook one this weekend and freeze the other. Kind of altered my recipe so maybe try to get it a lot like the place I remember from up in Minnesota / Wisconsin. Just excited to see if I can replicate it, and I'm hungry for something with some real flavor.
you should checkout what your local walmart offers in the asian section

i was surprised last time i went to buy the beef shank i went to the asian asile and saw sausage
14fff2201ff8896dfc063248a507761d.png

see the option, for pickup is today

for better gochujang go w/ either (chungjungone)ofood or sempio, i haven't used either enough to know but those are the 2 brands my korean friends use

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Just look up Jaccard, you'll find it, it's like $25 or something on Amazon.

Gochujang, ginger, onion, garlic, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds, maybe some white pepper, green onion if you feel fancy. Super easy, you get the sugar and spicyness from the gochujang. Its good on chicken and veggies too. You can make it separate or marinate or both. I've also used sriracha/sugar instead of gochujang if none is handy. I use msg/jaccard/baking soda/whatever to tenderize the meat beforehand, then marinate 30 min in the sauce.

Soy sauce tenderizes as well so I tried overnight in the sauce and that was a mistake, it just turned to mush.
Yeah the one I bought is basically the same thing. And the sauce sounds pretty much the same damn thing though I used for the stir fry the other day. I might throw a couple of other things and if I've got them to hand, but it's all about covering the bases.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
you should checkout what your local walmart offers in the asian section

i was surprised last time i went to buy the beef shank i went to the asian asile and saw sausage
14fff2201ff8896dfc063248a507761d.png

see the option, for pickup is today

for better gochujang go w/ either (chungjungone)ofood or sempio, i haven't used either enough to know but those are the 2 brands my korean friends use
Jogger, I ain't going to fuckin Walmart, not unless it's the only thing around if I'm traveling.

I've been a couple of times to the Asian grocery store that I didn't realize we had had close to the house, and I know they've got lots of the Asian sausage and if I remember was probably priced about the same. I've been meaning to go pick up a few pantry items from there, and as opposed to ordering an off Amazon maybe pick up another bag of sushi rice now that I know what brand I like, I think it's the one that you recommend. I just want to see if they have it and what the price is. I also need to pick up some kombu but I miss the last time I was there, just forgot about.

I'm about out and I kind of want to make sushi again now that the weather is getting warm.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jogger, I ain't going to fuckin Walmart, not unless it's the only thing around if I'm traveling.

I've been a couple of times to the Asian grocery store that I didn't realize we had had close to the house, and I know they've got lots of the Asian sausage and if I remember was probably priced about the same. I've been meaning to go pick up a few pantry items from there, and as opposed to ordering an off Amazon maybe pick up another bag of sushi rice now that I know what brand I like, I think it's the one that you recommend. I just want to see if they have it and what the price is. I also need to pick up some kombu but I miss the last time I was there, just forgot about.

I'm about out and I kind of want to make sushi again now that the weather is getting warm.
they have that kind of sausage at my costco too, so it's not just walmart. And there's almost always a decent quality Asian grocery within a reasonable distance to shop at no matter where you live, I've got like 3-4.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
they have that kind of sausage at my costco too, so it's not just walmart. And there's almost always a decent quality Asian grocery within a reasonable distance to shop at no matter where you live, I've got like 3-4.
We've got a bunch of really huge and nice ones closer to downtown, I just avoid downtown like the plague now unless I got to go there for business. The one we have here in the Woodlands fair, not amazing, but convenient and it's 10 minutes from the house. I need to look at HEB the next time I go they might even have it, just never really looked. I just I was assuming the Asian sausage had dog or cat or something, so just kind of avoided.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

The xenforo media addon we use needs an update. Amazon discontinued the embeds, but the addon is still trying to embed amazon links. Using code tags for amazon links is one of the workarounds.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Booked out a big pork shoulder for porchetta. Managed to find a huge fennel bulb with lots of fronds. Can I change up my usual deal, added more salt and pepper, I'm sorry half and half next that I had for Texas BBQ, and some dried spices, fennel seeds and fennel pollen, minced garlic, and smoked paprika. Didn't use any other fresh herbs like I normally do, just didn't really have them to hand. I think this is going to be a lot closer to what I remember eating growing up when visiting family up in Wisconsin.

They've been sitting in the fridge for a few days just kind of brining, and despite them being dry going in they've exuded quite a bit of liquid sitting in there cryovac, which I'm hoping is going to mimic the Italian butcher shop that our family always bought them from. I put a ton of fresh fennel in this time though way more than I ever have, along with some of the thinner stalks. Hey, for $10 total with all my aromatics, I'll get plenty of meals. I think it's probably about seven and a half pounds after cutting out the bone. Going to go ahead and freeze both of them, but I think I might bust one out next weekend or two and throw it on the rotisserie. Been really wanting use it to cook one.

I've just really been jonesing for one. They're a little bit of a bitch to prep, but pop on a podcast, go to work, and then it's easy peasey.

IMG_20240517_190913829~2.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users