Kayak and Canoe Thread

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Late to the party: I think you'll be happy with the Dagger, I've not used that particular boat before but the Dagger's I've used have all been good. I've always had a thing for Pyrhana, and would have said to take a look at the Scorch, but the Dagger looks a good 'un.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I was just reminiscing about when I was at university. We had a kayak in the club that started out as a low volume stunt boat, but someone decided to make it even more low volume after it had an accident. They heated up and pushed in the front end to create a concave bow deck, and also gave it an almost flat back deck. There was barely space for your legs, and it almost looked like it had been vacuum formed over the user. We called it "The Flid" as you couldn't walk very well after using it, we'd probably all be kicked out for calling it that in this day and age heh. It was shit for everything but pirouetting on flat water, but it was fun as hell for that.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Kayak arrived this afternoon. As I expected, it’s a pretty tight fit. But, I was able to remove the hip pads to make room left and right, and am going to adjust the knee/thigh hooks to make more room for my thighs, and should be in good shape from there. Fortunately the outfitting is extremely adjustable, I’ll just need to tinker with it some before I get it on the water later this week.

IMG_0901.jpeg

• 2Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Looks good, have fun with it. The interiors never fit, I always used to just duck tape pieces of camping mat in for padding.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Petition to just change it to watercraft in general? I should just rent but now that I'm surrounded by lakes I'm kinda jetski curious. I dont fish either but kawasaki about to release some fishing jet ski seems interesting.

Am I going to die in some tractor supply $200 canoe/kayak thing?

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Petition to just change it to watercraft in general? I should just rent but now that I'm surrounded by lakes I'm kinda jetski curious. I dont fish either but kawasaki about to release some fishing jet ski seems interesting.

Am I going to die in some tractor supply $200 canoe/kayak thing?
I'm not surprised somebody's finally coming out with a fishing jet ski. My brother and I went down to fishing tackle unlimited here in Houston one evening maybe 5 years ago and it was a guy talking about going offshore fishing using a jet ski. He had his rig there and all of the modifications and stuff that he had made. What's going out and hitting the old offshore platforms. We both thought it was a pretty cool idea and at least one of the kind of see what the deal was.

I'll have to look at the Kawasaki one just to see how it compares to what I remember learning in that little deal. Irish settles a little bit sketchy though, but so is paddling a damn kayak out that far. I do know that he always said that you need to know your weather conditions and if anything looked a bit dicey whatsoever you don't do anything but stay in shore. Pretty much the same deal with saltwater kayak fishing.

As far as drowning in a tractor supply kayak, just avoid them. You can get a very safe reliable fishing boat for a thousand bucks now. After you decided to spend 1.5 to 2K, you can get a really nice boat.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Looks good, have fun with it. The interiors never fit, I always used to just duck tape pieces of camping mat in for padding.
I don’t have a picture of it, but they supplied me with a whole bag full of different sized pieces of foam padding and alternate outfitting. Going to take it out this weekend with the couple of adjustments I mentioned. If I need to tinker with it more, they supplied me with plenty of material to do so.

Will report back this weekend. Super excited about getting into recreational whitewater.

Crazy video I found of some epic white water fails:

As for fishing jet ski, that sounds awesome.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Anyone have much experience with Jon boats? I want to get something a little bigger than my Hobie to fish out of, be able to take my dog with me. Thinking maybe just buy a used, bare bones Jon boat and fix it up, one or two pieces at a time.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have much experience with Jon boats? I want to get something a little bigger than my Hobie to fish out of, be able to take my dog with me. Thinking maybe just buy a used, bare bones Jon boat and fix it up, one or two pieces at a time.
Yeah just find a used one that's bare Bones. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them unless they're rusted out. We had a couple growing up, and the best was The Coonass 2 my stepdad bought from his boss when we lived in New Orleans and he worked for NASA. I don't know what the brand was, this was back in the 80s, but it was a solid boat. Caught a lot of fish out of that boat over the years growing up. Used to do in short Marsh fishing all the time. Had a steering column installed and everything, maybe a 14-footer.

I think he traded it or sold it for a bigger boat though so the family could go out on the water easier, despite the fact we pack mom my sister and myself and him in on the weekends and tour around bayous.

You can always put decking and installed seat mounts and stuff on the benches further down the road. I guess your biggest expense would just be getting a tiller steer motor, but it's not like you need anything heavy duty to push something that small. Hopefully it has a decent trailer that's not rusted out.

Other thing you could possibly look for is a Carolina skiff that's fiberglass. We've had one of those too and they're great, there's a lot of stuff you can do to upgrade them.

I've no clue what they cost now but what times being tough maybe people are getting rid of them because they're hard up for money. I'd honestly look for a little 14-footer though that should be plenty big for you and another person to fish comfortably, and have ample storage for coolers gas tanks and gear.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Yeah just find a used one that's bare Bones. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them unless they're rusted out. We had a couple growing up, and the best was The Coonass 2 my stepdad bought from his boss when we lived in New Orleans and he worked for NASA. I don't know what the brand was, this was back in the 80s, but it was a solid boat. Caught a lot of fish out of that boat over the years growing up. Used to do in short Marsh fishing all the time. Had a steering column installed and everything, maybe a 14-footer.

I think he traded it or sold it for a bigger boat though so the family could go out on the water easier, despite the fact we pack mom my sister and myself and him in on the weekends and tour around bayous.

You can always put decking and installed seat mounts and stuff on the benches further down the road. I guess your biggest expense would just be getting a tiller steer motor, but it's not like you need anything heavy duty to push something that small. Hopefully it has a decent trailer that's not rusted out.

Other thing you could possibly look for is a Carolina skiff that's fiberglass. We've had one of those too and they're great, there's a lot of stuff you can do to upgrade them.

I've no clue what they cost now but what times being tough maybe people are getting rid of them because they're hard up for money. I'd honestly look for a little 14-footer though that should be plenty big for you and another person to fish comfortably, and have ample storage for coolers gas tanks and gear.
That's about what I figured. No rust, good trailer. Would probably prefer getting a new outboard myself so I don't have to worry about it. Then do the decking myself and get a decent trolling motor.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That's about what I figured. No rust, good trailer. Would probably prefer getting a new outboard myself so I don't have to worry about it. Then do the decking myself and get a decent trolling motor.
Yeah, get an outboard tiller steer, maybe a 25 to 35 horse Yamaha, maybe salt, depending on the length and you're good to go. Slap a Minn kota up on the front and it doesn't even need to be anything fancy, or hell I think we had ours on the back, and it was all manual, none of that fancy foot pedal programmable BS. They're perfect little flats boats, or hunting through the marshes for reds, specs, flounder, etc.

As long as there's just not a giant Rusty hole in it they're pretty much bomb proof, and the perfect canvas to upgrade and make something you'll want to keep for a long time.

Serious about the Carolinas skiff though. If you can find a decent price on one of those I'd be all over it especially if you plan on using it in salt water. They draft very shallow, easy to clean, I'm basically just a better version of a metal Jon boat, and they aren't as loud when you walk around in them in case you're worried about scaring away the fish, which in shallow water is a thing but I'm sure you know that.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Will def check out what these Carolina skiffs are. Just want something versatile and low cost for the next few years while I put the kid through college then I'll upgrade to something serious.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Will def check out what these Carolina skiffs are. Just want something versatile and low cost for the next few years while I put the kid through college then I'll upgrade to something serious.
It's a pretty popular brand over on the east coast, I'm going to imagine they've got a tow hold all throughout the South. They've got a bunch of center consoles and stuff like that but they're Jon boat equivalents are pretty affordable or at least they used to be, and really wonderful. I think the Brand's been pretty big for a long time.

Father guys use them for shrimp and boats if they're puttering around in marshes and stuff.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Got out on a bit of mostly flat, moving water that runs through Louisville. I am thoroughly sore and humbled. There’s a lot more to kayaking than I thought lol.

I haven’t had any instruction and didn’t watch or read anything about paddle strokes or technique. Basically just went out there completely virginal. I got proper fucked!

Spent a good portion of the day spun around 180 degrees. Not sure what’s causing it, but somehow the tail is catching water and spinning me. If you look at the tail in this pic you can see it, which explains the slightly panicked look on my face.

image000000.jpeg

The angle makes it look like the stern is out of water, but it’s not. It’s about to catch some water and soin me 180 counter clockwise.

We had a great time, spent about 4 and a half hours on the creek. I did get frustrated and paddled the flat water rental my brother was using for about an hour and a half. Brother had the same trouble spinning out as I did. He didn’t fall out three times like I did, though.

Definitely have a new respect for white water kayakers. Can’t believe how hard this fucking thing was to paddle straight. Lower back and my left hip both really feeling it right now. I imagine tomorrow I’ll feel it in my arms and core from the paddling.

Couple more shots:

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg