Writers Guild Strike 2023

Burns

Jesus Christ, your mewling about power consumption is so fucking retarded.

My genuine hope is that these endeavors suck so much power out of the grid that it causes rolling blackouts (in shithole states like California) and forces the hands of everyone involved to the decades-late realization that we never had a power generation crisis, only a crisis of faggots unwilling to embrace nuclear power as the actual, literal answer to all our energy problems.
We are hopefully within 5 years of the adoption of factories being able to buy their own self contained mini-reactors. It will be interesting to see how things play out once those are a proven technology and available to a wide swath of corpo interests, not just the domain of a handful of power companies.

They are in early production stage now, and various UK companies have ordered at least 24 from a US company called Last Energy, as reported last March:

The tech involved:

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
nothing really to do with strikes, actor pay went up dramatically for top line while movie box office has been on a steep decline combined with all the streamers suddenly needing to focus on profitability over sub counts. Production is down crazy on everything with very little getting greenlit, no more "you get a show! you get a show! you get a show!!" from netflix and apple of 2020-2022. The strikes just let execs work without any distractions to really figure out what their spends are gonna be for the next few years and start redlining anything that isn't a clear "this keeps people subbing to our service / this will definitely bring enough people to movie theaters to cover the budget".

hopefully that means we'll stop seeing retarded diversity shows no one cares about, but then again we have surprise hits like that queer Baby Reindeer shit plus it doesn't help that chicks seem to love the new season of Bridgerton which has white lizzo on it lol

1717034118226.png

i mean netflix is just basically single depressed female the streaming service at this point, jesus christ last weeks top shows

1717034172084.png

i've never seen any of that shit and it all sounds god awful but it seems clear at this point the people paying for netflix seem to be women or gays (do gays give a shit about bridgerton?)

Fucker

Log Wizard
nothing really to do with strikes, actor pay went up dramatically for top line while movie box office has been on a steep decline combined with all the streamers suddenly needing to focus on profitability over sub counts. Production is down crazy on everything with very little getting greenlit, no more "you get a show! you get a show! you get a show!!" from netflix and apple of 2020-2022. The strikes just let execs work without any distractions to really figure out what their spends are gonna be for the next few years and start redlining anything that isn't a clear "this keeps people subbing to our service / this will definitely bring enough people to movie theaters to cover the budget".

hopefully that means we'll stop seeing retarded diversity shows no one cares about, but then again we have surprise hits like that queer Baby Reindeer shit plus it doesn't help that chicks seem to love the new season of Bridgerton which has white lizzo on it lol

View attachment 530751

i mean netflix is just basically single depressed female the streaming service at this point, jesus christ last weeks top shows

View attachment 530753

i've never seen any of that shit and it all sounds god awful but it seems clear at this point the people paying for netflix seem to be women or gays (do gays give a shit about bridgerton?)
I haven't heard anyone talking about anything Netflix in years. I'm surprised they have so many subs. Actually, I am surprised they are still in business.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Sounds like the whole industry shot itself in the foot with the strikes.

Things have been extremely slow. I've been lucky to keep working but most people I know have not been. Things should pick up somewhat once IATSE is done negotiating contracts this summer but I don't think we're going back to the insane amount of work we had during the pandemic.