1st 2019 Retro Game Of The Month! - Donkey Kong Country

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Szlia

I played a little bit of DKC2 and it felt better. It's unclear if I got used to the style, if the camera is better or if the level design accommodates for the field of view better (maybe a little bit of all 3?). At first I thought Diddy's sprite might be a tad smaller, so I pixel counted its height and went back to DKC1: same size. Now that's some objective game design analysis for you! :p

That said, having a currency that, among other things, is used to SAVE does not make me want to play the game further.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
23qsl9rptza21.jpg

On reddit today.

Felt so damn good mastering those insanely tough jumps though.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah.... no. Dark Souls is not a shorthand to say "hard game where you die a lot" and even if it was it would not fit DKC, because that game is not hard, it's just poorly designed. When you die in Dark Souls, 90% of the time it's 100% your own damn fault (even Ron can see that). There lies some of the genius of its design. The game constantly tries to catch you off guard (but it always telegraphs its traps in one way or another) and tries to trick you into becoming careless (after a death you want to rush back to these souls and rushing often ends poorly), but you almost never die to unpredictable surprises or leaps of faith.

Hagane is dramatically more difficult than DKC, but it also has nothing to do with Dark Souls. Hagane is classically difficult. You have limited continues, limited lives, limited hit points, limited invulnerability frames after a hit and, which is a bit more annoying, a very strange jumping/momentum system. Hagane is about getting good or going home. A year ago, it took me five or six well focused play sessions and the help of youTube to finally beat the game. For comparison, my final save in DKC is just under 3 hours and I suspect 30 min of that must have been spent farming lives....
Dude, fucking what. Pressing up instead of forward and hitting a bee is literally the same intrinsic, you do or you die mechanics that apply to Dark Souls. The shit was even present in the classic arcade top down shooter... Boom. Dead. Next quarter?

In Dark Souls you memorize mob locations, in DKC you memorize paths and mob locations, avoid insta death situations, you can engage mobs but it's not ultimately necessary... Oh look, I've delineated games down to a form of maze. But in darkness, city landscapes, forests and jungles, deserts, spaaaaace... Space and jungle, with zombies. Omg what will they come up with next!

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
New threads are created for the new retro game of the month. I've stickied the appropriate thread and unstickied this one.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users