2023 Academy Awards. No Baldies allowed!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Nommy noms are out.

Best picture Oscar nominations:

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

Here's what I've seen so far and how I'd tank them:

1. Everything Everywhere all at Once
2. The Banshees of Inisherin (I would almost say this is tied for first).
(The rest I've seen can't compare to those top two)
3. Top Gun: Maverick. Just fun.
4. Avatar: The Way of the Water. Visually and technically amazing. Story is fine .. Whatever
5. Tar. One of those movies I consider pretty good but I'd prob never watch twice. Great acting. Needs about 30 minutes cut out lol.
6. Elvis. I honestly forgot this existed.

That leaves for me to watch:
-All quiet on the Western front
-The Fablemans
-Triangle of Sadness
-Women talking

• 2Like
  • 1Oscar Bait
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Fabelmans: awful, just self indulgent usual Hollywood super jewy bullshit story about a mom who sucks. You can fast forward 80% of the movie and not miss anything. Seth Rogan is in the movie.
Triangle of Sadness: infuriatingly bad, just usual self indulgent Hollywood bullshit about "OH GOD THE RICH ARE SO AWFUL AMIRITE" don't waste your time its trash. Woody Harrelson is great, the main lead actress (hot) died a few months ago from sepsis or something.

i'll watch All Quiet, Elvis, Banshees and Tar in the next few weeks, no interest in Women Talking (about some Memmonite women in Bolivia or something who talk for 2 hours about how bad rape is after someone gets raped).

Everything Everywhere is likely the winner, maybe outside shot of Banshees or (ugh) FableJews.

Pretty mediocre film year, but better than most I suppose. At least we don't have shit like The Artist or Crash having a chance of winning.

also lol

cancel Thanos, he killed trillions of people

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
All Quiet was fantastic. I could see that or Everything Everywhere winning. But these awards always go to snobby ass movies so it will probably be Tar.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not the best year for movies, but pretty par for the course recently. You have to go back to 2019 or 2015 to get a really good year. This year, I hope Maverick wins everything it is nominated in.

I still need to see Banshees & All Quiet on the Western Front.

Fableman's was a fine movie if you are a Spielberg fan. Everything Everywhere was impressive, but it personally didn't do anything for me.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They will have a difficult time topping the slap heard around the world. That was the only thing that was entertaining last year.

Cybsled

Taking out Avatar and Maverick, All Quiet is probably the only film on that list that would have been seen by a wide audience and actually is a decent candidate for best pic.

Blantons4Ever

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Banned>
tar - unwatchable crap
banshees - this is quirky comedy, but all this "best picture" talk is complete nonsense

sorry

topgun maverik for me

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
So no black lead movies?
What a fucking joke, boycott the Oscars tell we get real representation!
Not a single movie on that list is lead by a BIPOC (blue aliens dont count)!

• 1Great Review

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Taking out Avatar and Maverick, All Quiet is probably the only film on that list that would have been seen by a wide audience and actually is a decent candidate for best pic.
Elvis was just outside the top 10 of 2022's box office, so a lot of people saw that.

I feel like Nope should have been in here, except, instead of jerking off Hollywood like The Fabelmen's, it was a story about how Hollywood just ruins people.

Surprised to not see RRR or Decision to Leave in the International Best Film category.

spronk

FPS noob
So no black lead movies?
What a fucking joke, boycott the Oscars tell we get real representation!
Not a single movie on that list is lead by a BIPOC (blue aliens dont count)!

nope, woman kangz, and black panther 2: mexican boogaloo all snubbed

need a gun shot on stage this year to top the will smith moment, maybe alec baldwin can re-enact what happened on the set of Rust

• 1Worf

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm really out of touch, but at first glance, I see a lot of the standard 'blocks' fighting with each other:
Instead of a single prestige sci-fi movie (Dune, Inception) that racks up nominations but just sweeps the technical categories, you have Everything Everywhere and Avatar fighting each other (with sniping by Black Panther).
You have the (european) language block (All Quiet) fighting with the Hollywood nostalgia block (Fablemans).
And as odd as nearly every actor in Everything getting nominated (except for poor James Hong), I could see none of them winning - Yeoh loses to Blanchett, Hsu and Curtis lose to Angela Bassett, and Quan (probably the best shot) losing to Gleeson or even Hirsch.

Szlia

Surprised to not see Babylon on the list. I have not seen it, so maybe it's deserved, but it felt like the type of movie that could end up on that list.

• 1Direct to DVD

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Top Gun is clearly not best picture material, LMAO
It is surprising to see it not nominated for cinematography, since so much of it was shot out of actual fucking planes. But that category also doesn't have Nope in it, which invented a new way to shoot Day-for-Night, so I guess it's just a goober of a category I assume Western Front will win.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
lol @ thinking Top Gun is worthy of Best Picture

My money is on EEAAO

• 1Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
All Quiet is definitely the best mix of "great movie" and artsy fartsy bullshit. Problem I had with that movie is how they gayed up the ending.

Maverick was clearly the best film, but I can't even believe it got nominated. There's no fucking way it'll win, even if it was far and away the best movie of the year.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Whoever is presenting needs to come on stage with a plate carrier on and commit to the Alec Baldwin jokes