$400k

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Indeed, Ked - especially on the "it's only $500/mo" being quite important statement. Fixed income is a real adjustment to make, the heftier of a "fixed value" the easier it is - but it's always some serious belt tightening. Sure, you'll have trusts and stuff that you can draw off of for emergency situations - but if you're drawing off them for non-emergency you're effectively trading an extra $5 today to change your net income by $0.50/mo (or something - numbers are hypothetical, but you're costing yourself in the longrun - which starts compounding).

rinthe_sl

shitlord
yo motherfucker, for 10k ill build u a portfolio that will make 15%/year, 20% standard deviation. Or you could just buy a VG index fund and make do with 13%

Don't go for any of these gay as fuck, "Target Retirement Date" crap funds. Don't buy treasuries or bonds, it's a guaranteed trip to the poorhouse. Almost as dumb as bitcoins. If any idiot recommends them in any percentage of your portfolio, take your dick out and slap them in the face. Then piss on them and shout "I AM THE GOD OF NAPALM MOTHERFUCKER, I DON'T BUY TREASURIES. REMOVE YOUR URINE SOAKED FACE FROM MY PRESCENCE!"

Go see a tax accountant or something and see if it's worth dumping it into your IRA or whatever bullshit superannuation you have. Hint: it probably is and will probably make a massive deal, because of tax benefits (but I don't know).