6.0 Earthquake in Napa, CA

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm 25 miles away and it woke my wife and I up as our entire house was shaking but good. Lots more damage than I'd have thought. Gov has declared a state of emergency (though all things considered, this is still small time). I can only imagine some of the pics from wineries we haven't seen yet.

Earthquake near Napa sends 120 to hospital, breaks water and gas lines - LA Times

Good pics
South Napa Earthquake Photos | KQED News Fix
Photos: 6.0 earthquake rattles Northern California | www.ktvu.com

iannis

Musty Nester
We had an earthquake here last year. I didn't even know wtf it was. I was out in the yard, and there was a noise like a low flying plane. And I was all like huh because I didn't see a plane.

I can in no way relate.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On behalf of the east coast and the plastic chairs that were tipped over back when we had the 4.0, we sincerely feel for your state that suffered 100x worse.

I think they also spent millions fixing the Washington Monument.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
We are about 25 miles south of it, and it woke my wife and I up as the house was moving pretty good. 4 of the 5 kids slept through it like it never happened. No damage to us or anywhere around us really, but man Napa looks rough. All those brick buildings didn't hold up too well!

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hmmm pics are not showing any looters... i mean windows broken, bricks fallen off and shit and noone there to get a truckload of wine and plasmas?
What has this country come to?

iannis

Musty Nester
The intensity doubles per point doesn't it? So a 6 is 4x stronger than a 4?

ELI5: the Andy Richter scale.

Ooh! Gum!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The intensity doubles per point doesn't it? So a 6 is 4x stronger than a 4?

ELI5: the Andy Richter scale.

Ooh! Gum!
Nah it's order of magnitude so 6 is 10x worse than 5.

But in a way it's almost irrelevant because where the plates shift matters a lot.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah this woke me up in like 2 seconds, and one second after that I was standing in the doorway. I'm surprised at how instinctively and quickly I responded from being in a dead sleep to the doorway. I went to the earthquake exhibit at the Cal Academy of Science, and they had a mock earthquake room where you could feel what one was like, it was pretty spot on compared to this. The house wasn't doing any crazy "shaking" so much as moving from side to side. Dying in an earthquake would suck, it basically means your house collapsed and a giant metal pipe ripped through your intestines, or your head got crushed by wood beams/bricks.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
You live on a transverse fault that also happens to be in the general area of hundreds of millions of years of subduction and exotic terranes.

I live in a racially heated backwards riot zone.

No one's perfect!

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dog freaked out was his first earthquake were about 80 miles away from napa no damage at all here.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm only about an hour or so away (Sacramento) and I didn't feel shit because I had just gone to bed about an hour earlier. If my cats freaked out, they didn't wake me either. If I had been awake I have to imagine I would have felt it.

I'll still take these over tornadoes, hurricanes, and pretty much any other natural disasters.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Ehhh, two dry years in a row isn't necessarily a sign of things to come. Three years ago people were bitching about how much rain we were getting.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm in Petaluma, 25 miles away, and it was quite clearly felt. Mostly bed shaking, and not in a good way. More of an "Oh, shit!" kind of way.
CNN was cracking me up later that morning with their "MAJOR EATHQUAKE! AHHHHHHH! SKY IS FALLING IN N.CAL!" stuff.

edit - My buddy is an Elevator Route guy. When he was woken up by it, he just got dressed and went to work. Had to reset all the earthquake trips in all the elevators. Heh. Of couse he gets the last laugh when he gets his paycheck.