A brain teasing probability puzzle

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Imagine you are on a game show with only three sealed red boxes.

The three cash prizes are $1, $1 and $100,000. You pick a box, let's say box two.

The host, who knows what's inside the boxes, opens another box, say box three and then tempts you with an offer. Box three is opened in front of you revealing a $1 prize, and he offers you the chance to change your mind to choose box one. Does switching improve your chances of winning the $100,000?

Silence_sl

shitlord
Switch. You originally had a 33% chance of getting it right. By switching after the first pick, your chance of getting a win goes up to 66%.

K Spacey was my teacher, too.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
How is this brain teasing? Not only is it a well known example of statistical probability, it is simple stats.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's a cool problem. The trick for me to understand it was knowing that the host would always open the door to a goat.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
The question is dumb. Its only interesting if you're prone to over think and/or motivated to appear smart. The elimination of a $1 box leaves your chance at 50/50 no matter what box you choose. Three boxes are equal, one is revealed, and suddenly now one box is twice as likely as the other? Makes no sense

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The question is dumb. Its only interesting if you're prone to over think and/or motivated to appear smart. The elimination of a $1 box leaves your chance at 50/50 no matter what box you choose. Three boxes are equal, one is revealed, and suddenly now one box is twice as likely as the other? Makes no sense
Exactly.

I can only hope Silence is trolling. And if he's not, he will be by the time he comes back to the thread.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Someone is mentally challenged
Exactly.

I can only hope Silence is trolling. And if he's not, he will be by the time he comes back to the thread.
tumblr_lhngw9SKlN1qhxr17o1_250.gif

iannis

Musty Nester
Switch. You originally had a 33% chance of getting it right. By switching after the first pick, your chance of getting a win goes up to 66%.

K Spacey was my teacher, too.
Dis. Always switch.

They made an entire game show about this with the bald germ freak. And it was 100 boxes.

Edit: It's a math trick. Your chance of winning does go up because they are a continuous event and you do have 50/50 on the second pick. But because they are a continuous event the odds on your first pick does change. Specifically it goes up. It's one of those "the rock will never reach the tree" tricks.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think I watched the show for about 15 minutes once.

It was mostly just long pauses. The show was like 15% models in slinky dresses and 75% dramatic pausing. 10% commercial breaks.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
your choice is still 50/50 whether you switch or not because one box has been revealed regardless. im not sure what makes this a brain teaser or a puzzle.