A Ghost Story (2017)

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: A Ghost Story

Tagline: It's all about time

Genre: Romance, Drama, Fantasy

Director: David Lowery

Cast: Casey Affleck, Rooney Mara, Will Oldham, Liz Franke, Sonia Acevedo, Carlos Bermudez, Yasmina Gutierrez, Brea Grant, Augustine Frizzell, David Lowery, Kesha Rose Sebert, Rob Zabrecky, Grover Coulson, Kenneisha Thompson, McColm Sephas Jr., Barlow Jacobs

Release: 2017-07-07

Runtime: 87

Plot: Recently deceased, a white-sheeted ghost returns to his suburban home to console his bereft wife, only to find that in his spectral state he has become unstuck in time, forced to watch passively as the life he knew and the woman he loves slowly slip away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just saw it today. What an original film. I can see a lot of people hating it. I'm still not 100% how I feel about it, but overall I did like it and I've been thinking about for hours since seeing it.

A lot of long and lingering shots with very little dialogue that will probably bore some people. There was only 1 other group in my theater, and the older man was snoring like 20 minutes into it.

My only real complaint would be that one scene with like 50% of the entire dialogue for the entire movie, was a bit too on the nose.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
super intrigued, but I have an incredibly hard time dealing with emotionally heavy things like this seems to be filled with. I carry the bruises the above review mentions for way too long. Gonna have to commit at some point on this one, looks very moving and well made.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just watched this and thought it was great. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has a really interesting atmosphere and premise to it. It's a very relaxed watch that gives you reason to think, but not too much.

Szlia

I must say it left me a bit frustrated. It does not lack elegance and it manages the impressive feat of making a very very silly idea work, but the resolution is weak and many times during the film there are hints at interesting themes it could explore, but does not. In the end it feels like Lowery does not dare to tell a story and it's a shame. Worth a watch for the curious though.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I must say it left me a bit frustrated. It does not lack elegance and it manages the impressive feat of making a very very silly idea work, but the resolution is weak and many times during the film there are hints at interesting themes it could explore, but does not. In the end it feels like Lowery does not dare to tell a story and it's a shame. Worth a watch for the curious though.

I think you might be right about him not wanting to go all the way. When I hit up google afterwards to find out:
what was written on the notes and found out that literally nobody knows
I felt a little cheated. It was the draw to the second half and it had no payoff. Also, the kitchen scene with the latino family was just bloody bizarre and out of place and had no function that I could think of.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database