A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 1 Votes
Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street

Tagline: If Nancy Doesn't Wake Up Screaming, She Won't Wake Up At All!

Genre: Horror

Director: Wes Craven

Cast: John Saxon, Ronee Blakley, Heather Langenkamp, Amanda Wyss, Jsu Garcia, Johnny Depp, Robert Englund, Leslie Hoffman, Joe Unger, Charles Fleischer, Joseph Whipp, Lin Shaye, Mimi Craven, David Andrews, Jack Shea, Ed Call, Sandy Lipton, Jeff Levine, Donna Woodrum, Paul Grenier, Ash Adams, Don Hannah, Shashawnee Hall, Brian Reise, Carol Pritikin, Kathi Gibbs, John R. Peterson, Chris Tashima, Antonia Yannouli

Release: 1984-11-14

Runtime: 91

Plot: Teenagers in a small town are dropping like flies, apparently in the grip of mass hysteria causing their suicides. A cop's daughter, Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) traces the cause to child molester Fred Krueger (Robert Englund), who was burned alive by angry parents many years before. Krueger has now come back in the dreams of his killers' children, claiming their lives as his revenge. Nancy and her boyfriend, Glen (Johnny Depp), must devise a plan to lure the monster out of the realm of nightmares and into the real world...

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The Nightmare on Elm St movies are fucking terrible.

Somebody needs to make a couple coherent stories, get rid of the cheesiness and you got yourself a decent franchise.

Caliane

The Nightmare on Elm St movies are fucking terrible.

Somebody needs to make a couple coherent stories, get rid of the cheesiness and you got yourself a decent franchise.
First one was ok. Flawed, but mostly solid.

It is kindof astounding how bad all the sequels were, looking back. Jaw2 and 3 bad. Odd, no one really notes it much though. Most slasher films really. kindof awful.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
First one was ok. Flawed, but mostly solid.

It is kindof astounding how bad all the sequels were, looking back. Jaw2 and 3 bad. Odd, no one really notes it much though. Most slasher films really. kindof awful.

The first one turned New Line Cinema into a big time company which allowed them to give us lots of great films.

The first one is flawed but great. I even enjoy most of the sequels for the schlock they are. All except for number 2 the most unintentionally homesexual movie ever made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I mean, Johnny Depp gets sucked into a bed and explodes in a shower of blood. How is that bad?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What can you complain about in the first movie? It was absolutely brutal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I would say its flaws are basically nitpicking or minor. It's a great film.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
53feb893d2fdd327e0785661c60f7efa.gif

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Watched the first one recently and it holds up. Definitely a classic. The last one I saw was Freddy's Dead and that was ages ago. I'd lost interest by then.

After watching pt 1 the other day I went ahead and watched pts 2-5 for the first time as an adult. They get worse and worse. Parts four and five are garbage.

I've been told to avoid the 2010 remake. Also heard New Nightmare is fairly good. It's a shame cos Freddy is the one horror franchise that has storytelling potential as compared to Halloween, Jason and them. The idea is quite original. Certainly would not mind a proper new movie.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Man, I've said "Welcome to prime time, bitch!" about a thousand times in my life! Can't remember which movie it was from, I want to say Dream Warriors. Speaking of, Dokken killed it with that song too!

I love the Nightmare on Elm Street films. First one I ever saw was actually #2 for that matter. I tried watching the remake, even liking Katie Cassidy, and I got bored and never finished it.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Watched the first one a couple days ago. Wasn't that great and pretty corny for a horror movie. If my wife can actually watch without being afraid or screaming and then fall asleep during a scary movie than somethings wrong.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I really liked the 1st movie and that's about it. Was a creepy concept in a genre that genre that was/is filled with a lot of slasher and suspense movies. This really was a new angle that made you think twice at night. I was really saddened in the remake after seeing the Friday the 13th remake. I thought they did fairly well with it but missed the mark with Nightmare on Elm Street. Let's face it though, in the scary movie world, mediocre is good in a lot of cases. Very rarely do you see these movies get high ratings. They're also really subjective to taste. I would be really curious what everyone's top 5 scary movies would be. I love the stuff... no matter how bad or good they are in most cases.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database