A

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone do anything on the artistic side? Just curious how you got started if so.I've tried sketching landscapes several times and I get distracted quickly and break out a straight edge and soon I have a less than stellar sketch of a chemical plant. That is not my desire at all. I first got interested in sketching in college when I was supposed to sketch leaves, plant life in general, and cones in the multiple dendrology class I took. I cheated and used an early digital sony camera (the ones with the 3.5 floppy in them). Apparetnly I'm missing the right brain or part of it.

But I'd like to do some general landscape sketching. Just kind of a loss as how to get started. Youtube has tons of videos. Most of them seem to be centered around one particular area or topic like sketching eyes on a face or something similar.

Thanks.

Yes I lost my title of "artistic puruits", feel free to change it. I thought you used to could edit a title but I'm too dumb to find it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Anyone do anything on the artistic side? Just curious how you got started if so.I've tried sketching landscapes several times and I get distracted quickly and break out a straight edge and soon I have a less than stellar sketch of a chemical plant. That is not my desire at all. I first got interested in sketching in college when I was supposed to sketch leaves, plant life in general, and cones in the multiple dendrology class I took. I cheated and used an early digital sony camera (the ones with the 3.5 floppy in them). Apparetnly I'm missing the right brain or part of it.

But I'd like to do some general landscape sketching. Just kind of a loss as how to get started. Youtube has tons of videos. Most of them seem to be centered around one particular area or topic like sketching eyes on a face or something similar.

Thanks.

Yes I lost my title of "artistic puruits"
ah, i remember selling those, sony mavica fd5 (or keep replacing number for new models i.e. 7/8 etc) mavica, imo was the cool name, then they switched to gay cybershot

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Visual art has never been my thing.

The only thing I can draw is a conclusion.

• 1Worf

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
Landscapes you say?

bobross-profile_image-0b9dd167a9bb16b5-300x300.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

My grandmother is a fantastic painter. She used to enter regional competitions and win. She started around age 60. It never filtered down to me at all. Being colorblind never even thought of painting. Sketching would be about it.

I've got lots of paintings of landscapes, houses, wildlife that I would love to be able to do at 1/100 the quality.

in before A B C, 1 2 3 jacksons song

• 1Like

Borzak

I'll stick to sketching. I can handle a pencil, kind of.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I do installation art. I do it for several churches, and for several cities. Some sculpture, some painting, mostly mixed media filling a big space. The one space I do most is a 12 foot wide by 36 foot high wall on which I do everything from fabric installation to painting realism. Visual art is pretty important to me, it has been a life passion and I'm finally in a position to do as much of it as I want to.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Borzak

Was going to do some sketching while in South Texas on the river. There's oil rigs every 50 ft now with the fracking boom. Was going to sketch some sites but go distracted looking at how they did some welds on the tanks. I think I have to find something I'm really not interested in to keep from getting distracted. Same goes for sketching trees. I get distracted figuring out how many tons or board feet per acre.

There's a civil war cemetary I drive by here I may go there and do some sketches.

• 1Like

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
MindCandyMan, the single greatest example of what you can accomplish assuming you give a shit, and see something through.

Jonathan Hardesty

I'm not like that guy, I'm far too concerned with other shit to pursue something with that level of intensity for as long as he did. I'm a Graphic Designer these days, always had an interest in drawing, but I wasn't all that crash hot at it, it took far too long to produce work that I was happy with. Occassionally I'd create pictures I'd even I'd like.

• 2Like