AAA retribution (beginning of the end?)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Not sure where else to put this, so I thought it best to start a new thread.

[H]ardOCP: The Next AAA Publisher Crash May Already be Here

Do you think they will bounce back or are they too bloated and lazy to fix their fuckups?

My predictions

Blizzard will fuck up classic wow somehow which in turn will cause a chain reaction of layoffs through the company. I just hope kotick gets fucked somehow.

Anthem will start out strong then collapse due to some oversite or lack of content.

Visionary realms will either rush something out the door to capitalize and fail or play it safe and be the next big mmo, even if it doesn't reach wow sub levels.

Path of Exile, Warframe, fortnite will continue to surge.

CDPR will be the next AAA powerhouse with the release of Cyberpunk.

I'm sure I'm missing others.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I don't buy it. These studios have a ton of IPs that still make a lot of money, and good games always trump bad press.

People are pissed off with Bethesda currently, but if Starfield ends up being good, nobody will care. Even if Starfield ends up flopping, TESVI will still sell insanely well.

Blizzard are still making money on Overwatch, Diablo IV will sell well and any new Blizzard IP will still have a lot of interest.

EA has always had shitty titles with shitty press, but they own so much that games like Dragon Age make them money, whilst unique titles like A way out gives them good press.

Ubisoft have had a good year with good games, and I don't see that changing in 2019, with the new Far Cry and Division games coming out.

All in all, this is the same doomsaying we've had for years after a particularly poor set of press, but good games always trump bad press.

That's not even considering Sony and Nintendo either.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never underestimate the ability of younglings to go into debt to pay for crap. The big studios may not make games we want any more but they will be just fine doing layoffs and hard shifting in mobile and freemium markets to keep their coke addictions fed.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I just watched the video, and literally every point he's made is his own personal feelings because he's getting old.

He's literally rattling off a list of games he's bought and never played that are vastly different to each other and saying he can't be bothered to play them.

He's bored of gaming, not everyone else.

TL;DR: He's getting old so he's had enough of playing games, therefore he thinks gaming is over.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
georgebernardshaw1-2x.jpg

• 4Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I just watched the video, and literally every point he's made is his own personal feelings because he's getting old.

He's literally rattling off a list of games he's bought and never played that are vastly different to each other and saying he can't be bothered to play them.

He's bored of gaming, not everyone else.

TL;DR: He's getting old so he's had enough of playing games, therefore he thinks gaming is over.

He's a boring youtube personality whose job it is to talk about random shit so people will click and watch his videos. He's literally a modern-day talkshow host.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
He's a boring youtube personality whose job it is to talk about random shit so people will click and watch his videos. He's literally a modern-day talkshow host.

I laughed when he got punched tbh.

Never liked the guy, even though I can sometimes agree with his view on shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
A topic about AAA published games wouldn't be complete without a write up on Visionary Realms

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
In Anthem flops, EA is in fucking trouble.

Everyone else seems to be doing just fine.

• 1OK, Sure

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Some days I'll wonder if I'm out growing video games because some game will come out that I just feel "meh" aobut that I think I would've loved ten years ago.

Then another game comes out and I play it 30 hours in a weekend.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Bethesda, 76 has just become a disaster, and I believe the only fix for them is too literally pull a 14 ARR style rebuild. Activision/Blizzard *sigh* ya really smart announce a mobile re-skinned game too a room full of PC gamers, never mind that WoW has been on a very sharp decline sense BoA has released. EA will get a rude awakening soon they are banking way too much on Anthem/Bioware too save them.(And from what I heard from friends, none of them were impressed by the beta.),

But at least we will get a new game out of FROM via Activision...

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pantheon is the true WoW killer.

There can be only one.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
The only crash that would happen is if people stop buying stupid shit like 18$ skins in Fallout 76 even now, week after week after week after week of Bethesda consistently fucking up, bordering on illegality. Yet PEOPLE STILL BOUGHT THAT FAT FUCKING RETARD SANTA COSTUME.

It doesn't matter. People still prepurchase games before any gameplay is even revealed. There won't be an AAA crash.

Indie games however will continue to innovate or focus on extremely refined mechanics, that AAA games will steal and monetize about 3 years later.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lol at Visionary Realms being mentioned with AAA.

Vapor ware just like EQ Next.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Some days I'll wonder if I'm out growing video games because some game will come out that I just feel "meh" aobut that I think I would've loved ten years ago.

Then another game comes out and I play it 30 hours in a weekend.

Yeah I think this a lot. Then I realize most AAA games are garbage and I’m just old enough now to realize it. God of War and RDR2 I had a blast with along with FC5 and odyssey. Now I’m playing beat saber. 😜

Probably the next game will be kingdom hearts three (will be my first kingdom hearts game) and cdpr’s new game.

Still amazes me how far Blizzard has fallen.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I doubt the blizzard brand will be around in 2021.

They've lost a ton of goodwill with fans across various franchises, their top franchises are stale at best, and they have generated some really bad PR .. its just not worth keeping a brand around when it takes Activision a few days to design a logo and new name, which doesn't come with negative connotations. Next Elder Scrolls game has to come within 2 years, and it has to be exceptional. Bethesda is also on thin ice.

I've played Blizzard games since Rock 'n Roll racing, and I've played Bethesda games since Daggerfall.

Their products have gone from "automatic purchase ASAP" to "wait and see". They can't keep trucking on as they have, obviously.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Worf