Absolver

• Looks good

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Not for me

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Absolver is a 3rd person martial-arts based fighting game from developer Sloclap Studios.

It essentially looks like a mash up of Dark Souls, Remember Me, and a few other things. It has a 'meditation' system that allows you to rest and change out martial arts skills in templates to adjust your stances and movesets. From the very brief gameplay available, there appears to be a very broad range of moves and styles.

The pacing of the game is akin to a slightly slower Dark Souls. It's real time based combat with punches, kicks, dodges, blocks, and weapons. There also appeared to be a huge selection of weapons.

There are things called 'tension crystals' that are represented by small white stones on your back that function as a method of healing yourself or using a stone to draw a weapon - the intention being, I believe, that in order to balance out using a powerful weapon you sacrifice healing. Very cool IMO.

Game's graphics are stylized in a nice smooth manner with a lot of earth tone palletes and use of a mix of old and modern styles mashed together. The environments seem to be very clean and minimal.

Skills drop like items from enemies as well as regular gear like armor and weapons, and apparently you can trade skills and gear as well. It has an RPG element to it but I am not sure how in depth any sort of stat or levelling system is in place if at all.

They emphasize a strong basis of online human interaction that includes chat, trading, co op, and PvP. Not sure if single player or offline mode is a thing yet. Might have missed that information if it is already available.

As someone who loves this style of combat in games and having practiced martial arts my whole life, I am so incredibly excited to play this game. It looks fun as hell, unique, and anything with a lot of coop or PvP is a huge plus for me.

Release date is slated for sometime in 2017. Game looks rather well put together already from the available information.

For some reason I can't post links and right this second but I am trying to fix it. Will update ASAP.

Caliane

"thrilling" uh-huh...
not a fan of the visuals. Alot of clipping. weird poses. Bg's are so flat and empty.
sound design is very weak. super generic punch/kick sounds. and impact "ughs" this needs breathing and talking. Chatter when seeing targets, etc.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
To me, those are incredibly minor complaints/issues. I'm also not seeing the clipping you are. As far as weird poses, I'm not exactly sure what you mean there either. 90% of those animations or movements have basis in real martial arts so they make sense to me.

As far as the environment, I can see how that would bother someone, but it's funny because for me it was actually a plus. I dig the clean style, empty of distraction. Sound effects, I don't know. I watched the videos with super low volume so I am gonna have to go back and check it out.

It's hard to tell exactly what might be changed before release as well...

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Release date set for August 29th. New gameplay vid (nothing really really new):

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are several Early Access streams going on now if anyone wanted to see more gameplay.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Martial Arts game? Count me probably in. This is already on my wishlist somehow although I don't remember it, wonder how long ago that store page popped up, haha. I'll have to hit up YouTube for some gameplay footage tomorrow

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Watched Stripin playing it on Twitch last night. Interesting idea, but the visuals are somewhat underwhelming. Or I'm spoiled. How complex is the fighting style building, anyone know? Do you do the "I just chain the most effective stuff" approach?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched Stripin playing it on Twitch last night. Interesting idea, but the visuals are somewhat underwhelming. Or I'm spoiled. How complex is the fighting style building, anyone know? Do you do the "I just chain the most effective stuff" approach?
Well, you'll be chaining whatever you find the most effective. There is a large selection of moves that you can put together for your combo, plus you can learn more moves by fighting in PvE, or sparring against a Mentor. There isn't much PvE to the game at the moment, basically a long-ish tutorial that is there to get you used to fighting, then its all PvP. Being able to have wildly different skill combos than someone you're fighting should make PvP interesting, plus you have special skill attacks (heal/lifetaps/push-back/slows/stamina debuffs etc) and weapons (only seen swords / fists at the moment).