Actraiser Renaissance

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hoping this sells decently enough so they do the same thing with Soul Blazer. I think the only game I finished more than Soul Blazer was FF6, but it was probably pretty close. It was a simple game and yet I loved going through it.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, Soulblazer was equal parts good action, building/saving city, and amazing sound track. I consider it the real sequel to Actraiser

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Soul Blazer was a prequel to Illusion of Gaia and (Japan-only) Terranigma. I could see all 3 of them getting an HD trilogy release at some point, they were big enough to justify it.

Anyone ever play Skyblazer? Now that game was bad-ass. Hardly anyone knew about it, it seemed like.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I just caught that this was on PS4/PS5 as well as Switch/PC so I'm probably in as well. This is probably one of my all-time favorites on the SNES.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those are still very playable with their pixels graphics. I would not turn either down though. I spent a lot of time on Ogre Battle as a kid. Still have both games.

Indeed, but gameplay wise it could use a little spice. There could have been more strategy to the map if there were more reasons to take other cities outside of more gold and all the enemies didn't just bum rush your base from theirs. Spread them around the map etc.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Indeed, but gameplay wise it could use a little spice. There could have been more strategy to the map if there were more reasons to take other cities outside of more gold and all the enemies didn't just bum rush your base from theirs. Spread them around the map etc.
Yeah I’d buy remakes of them for sure. Especially if they did it to the high quality bar Actraiser remake just set. I played it for five hours straight today ><

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah the biggest problem with Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen is that you would get into these streams of enemies in a straight line from the main enemy base to yours that would likely not get killed in one turn by your unit, turn around and run back to the castle, rez, and run right back at you.

I would consistently turn Warren into a Lich, summon 4 ghosts, and then just have him murderhobo the leaders of the groups (and usually the groups after a map or two) and then just send in other flying units to clean them up if they survived before they could get back to base. Didn't realize this was basically breaking the game when I was a kid, just thought it was the optimal strategy at the time. Turns out, that's the way to do it basically sans leveling certain characters up. Trying to to use real "strategy" in the game just made each map way longer and you'd have to beat the exact same units repeatedly before the AI would properly fight them.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the biggest problem with Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen is that you would get into these streams of enemies in a straight line from the main enemy base to yours that would likely not get killed in one turn by your unit, turn around and run back to the castle, rez, and run right back at you.

I would consistently turn Warren into a Lich, summon 4 ghosts, and then just have him murderhobo the leaders of the groups (and usually the groups after a map or two) and then just send in other flying units to clean them up if they survived before they could get back to base. Didn't realize this was basically breaking the game when I was a kid, just thought it was the optimal strategy at the time. Turns out, that's the way to do it basically sans leveling certain characters up. Trying to to use real "strategy" in the game just made each map way longer and you'd have to beat the exact same units repeatedly before the AI would properly fight them.

Yeah, in Ogre Battle I just used my main hero group to kill everything. All of my strongest characters got funneled into that group. Had a secondary group with my other decent characters as backup to help finish off stragglers or run interference, while the primary group beelined right for the enemy base and captured it.

It got me through the game but it destroyed the ingame Reputation meter, which frowns heavily on you using one party for everything.

It's good to see the Actraiser remake getting such positive reviews. NOW WHO BESIDES ME WANTS TO SEE AN ACTRAISER 2 REMAKE?

::chirp chirp::

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Ogre Battle was fairly broken cause you always had 1-2 parties that raped everything and your rep would get fucked. I remember there were ways to cheat the meter to keep it good but don’t remember what it was. A remake of that with just better AI and rep management that made more sense would be tits.

I backed this game (And I don’t Kickstarter video games) because I was hopeful this guy was making an Ogre Battle successor. It didn’t find and he never made it. I actually emailed him a couple times afterwards asking if he was still making it and he said off and on but not really. Made me sad cause it looked promising.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would stack all my armies together and just inch each one forward until it gained a level and rinse repeat to keep from out leveling the enemy and screwing my alignment/reputation. Keep a couple flying units off to the side to intercept any units that lose their leader and head back to base.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The big thing was that your main party was the only one that liberated towns, and only fought in the fights that needed characters to be in them for the fight. Otherwise, make a couple of murderhobo units and just use them to kill the enemy units on each map. You never wanted to use your powerful units to liberate places unless you knew that there was a specific reason to do so (like needing warren to liberate a town to get something. I don't even remember if that was a thing, maybe the map with the witch? But it was mostly just liberate with the main guy and your rep would stay up)

• 1Like

Szlia

Anyone ever play Skyblazer? Now that game was bad-ass. Hardly anyone knew about it, it seemed like.
Back in the import community in the mid '90s many people had Super Famicom copiers and there was a whole black market of copied floppies from people who knew a guy who knew a guy who ran a BBS or something. From that era there were for me several very memorable unknown games that I only saw in actual cartridges years later. One of them was Skyblazer. What a brilliant game. It looks great, sounds amazing with very original south east asia inspired tunes. It's also very fun to play and well balanced (maybe a bit on the easy side). What's not to love ?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Back in the import community in the mid '90s many people had Super Famicom copiers and there was a whole black market of copied floppies from people who knew a guy who knew a guy who ran a BBS or something. From that era there were for me several very memorable unknown games that I only saw in actual cartridges years later. One of them was Skyblazer. What a brilliant game. It looks great, sounds amazing with very original south east asia inspired tunes. It's also very fun to play and well balanced (maybe a bit on the easy side). What's not to love ?

Those Southeast Asia inspired tunes really do set this one apart. The SNES was capable of some crazy-good sound, in the right hands.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Just finished the post game boss. Took about 20 hours to 100% the town's and all scrolls. The platinum trophy is a pretty big grind so skipping that.

I thought this was a really good remake, but could have been a 10/10 with a bit less janky side scroller graphics and some more control put into the town defense. Maybe some better TD mechanics like mazing or choke points. A bit too many quest dialogue interruptions too. Definitely want more remakes like this for the other games mentioned, especially Soulblazer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users