Agricultural Areas Near Home and Pesticides

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Considering buying a house. Its backyard literally opens up into a farm. No idea what they spray, I think they're growing soy. What should I do?

All the news articles I see are low-rate bullshit with either environmentalists bullshitting themselves or right wing morons bullshitting themselves.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I saw this thread title in the "New Posts" and was ready to delete/ban as a spam bot.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Considering buying a house. Its backyard literally opens up into a farm. No idea what they spray, I think they're growing soy. What should I do?
Run. Run far. Run fast. The last thing you want are sous vide monks popping up all over the place.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I would be more worried that you live next to land that hasn't been developed, if you think a farm is bad just wait.

I live in a very rural area and the odds of the land around me becoming developed anytime soon is very low, but if you live near a town/metro area that is expanding just be aware of what could happen.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What si the worry aobut it becoming developed? That they'll put strip clubs and dumps everywhere or that they'll spray toxins everywhere while they build it?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Find out. If it's a local farm, you should be fairly content with the answers of the potential neighbors. If it is not run by Ma and Pa Wilson, run the fuck away.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
We see this sort of thing pretty often where I live. 'City folk' move out to the country and bitch about the smell of the dairy farm that's been there 100+ years. Talk to the farmer, even if he does use pesticides or chemicals you find objectable, you'll get 'some' sprayover, but that shit's too expensive to waste. Would you be on well water? If so, how deep is the well?

Borzak

I don't like the smell of chicken shit and in some cases human shit sprayed on crops, that's why I live where people farm trees. Plant once, thin in 10 years and cut em down and start over 15 after that. Also the land I own that I grow trees on that is income producing I only pay $3/acre property tax.

The problem with development in an area like that is development normally outpaces zoning by a wide margin so you can wind up with some pretty odd things. Of course I live far enough out we have no zoning either.

iannis

Musty Nester
It depends a bit on how big and industrial the operation is. If it's a small farm I wouldn't worry about it. If you're looking at something at the edge of a few dozen hectare tobacco (or whatever it is up there) field, and that's just the leading edge that they're developing for residential, and you see one of those house-sized combines riding around I'd make sure that the house is uphill. If it's on wellwater, buy a one of those chemical filters and put it on the pump.

If course if it's a small farm and the owner decides to sell out you might find yourself living next to a wal-mart in 10 years.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
would not mind living next to a walmart. The place we're looking at is actually pretty far from a supermarket =\

Borzak

This has been a while by sister lived in a very rural area. They liked it a lot. They lived adjacent to farm/open land in a town of 325. They built some sort of low income housing on it. The nearest store is 25 miles away, no gas station either. It went to shit rather fast. They literally had to bus welfare people in to house them there and then provide them a way to get to town. Town went from 325 to just under 1,000 in two years. Anyone who could leave did, leaving only the very bottom of the barrel left. Sad.

A walmart would be the least of my worries.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Yeah I don't care if the land smells because pigs or whatever, just when I researched it I found stuff like this:
Study Links Pesticide Exposure During Pregnancy to Autism Risk in Kids ??" WebMD

and I have a pregnant wife and hope to raise more kids in that home.
Why next to a farm? It may be nothing now, but there's no stopping them from selling out to a CAFO down the line. Even small scale CAFO's stink for miles and miles. Eye watering, hard to breathe type of stink. If you want to know how bad of a stink, go sit in a full public porta potty in 90+F heat for 8 hours. If it's cows, different kind of stink, but just as bad. If that happens, you will be holding on to a mortgage tied to a house that will be worth tiny fractions what you paid for it.

Farms can produce an unholy amount of dust before the crops come in, so there's that too.

Silence_sl

shitlord
If it's a small-scale family farm, then there's probably nothing to worry about. There are hundreds of those down the pike from where I live; houses on a few acres of farm, all over the place. Just regular folk earning a regular living in a regular town filled with regular things.

Like Fargo.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't think the scale of the farm has much to do with anything. If anything the big boys probably have more modern equipment that will do a better job delivering the chemical where they want it.

Let me say that I am mostly a cattle guy and just do a little farming, but when I spray weeds with roundup in my fields and I miss a 6 inch wide strip, there will be 6 inches of healthy weeds there after the rest of the shit dies. To me that is a pretty good sign that the chemical is going pretty much where it's supposed to, and my sprayer is far from high end. I'm sure it varies widely depending on what crops are being grown and all, but in my non-scientific opinion if there's not enough chemical drifting around to kill weeds a couple inches from the end of the sprayer boom, it's hard for me to believe that there will be much getting into your house.

You can find a single study that shows just about anything will kill you/make your kids retards.

EDIT: I just noticed that you said they are growing soybeans. If so they are probably roundup-ready so it's pretty likely roundup will be what they are spraying them with which makes my example pretty relevant.

Borzak

Herbicides and pesticeds are two differnet things. I know a guy who got sprayed a few times with overspay while spraing pine seedlings which they do a LOT now with southern yellow pine. The next day he can kill the grass in his yard if he takes a leak on it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Herbicide is pesticide technically. Pesticide = herbicide + insecticide + fungicide.

Death pee story sounds like bullshit to me.