Albion Online

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Modern UO is really fucking bad so you're actually right about something for once.

I said "A" modern UO, not "The" modern UO. Guess what UO had back in the day? Items that were crafted by players, a grand total of MAYBE 15 resources + reagents, mobs that were pretty much identical and the ability for characters to do whatever they felt like doing instead of being limited by a pre-selected class or "you can only pick 2 of the 12 trade and gathering skills".

What did you come in to this game expecting that you felt like you were wasting your time by playing it? What do you expect from other MMOs that make you feel any differently?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What you've just described is what Albion lacks; the problem is that Albion doesn't offer anything different to make up for it.

It's still the same tired premise of the typical MMO but with none of the frills that aid the illusion that what you're doing has any value. Your hypothetical armor doesn't drop anywhere because in this clockwork universe everything is crafted from the same homogeneous materials harvested from homogeneously distributed resource nodes in the same clonestamped zones populated by one type of mobs all having the exact same stats and dropping the same amount of coin.

Albion is nothing more than a collection of ideas/mechanics cribbed from other games, taken at face value and assembled piecemeal like some Frankenstein's monster but lacking the spark that transforms it into more than just a soulless husk.

I'm not exaggerating. Maybe I just haven't played enough shitty MMOs, but this is the first I've quit due to the unavoidable realization that I was just wasting my time.

Modern UO is really fucking bad so you're actually right about something for once.

Fair enough... I appreciate the clarification.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
I said "A" modern UO, not "The" modern UO. Guess what UO had back in the day? Items that were crafted by players, a grand total of MAYBE 15 resources + reagents, mobs that were pretty much identical and the ability for characters to do whatever they felt like doing instead of being limited by a pre-selected class or "you can only pick 2 of the 12 trade and gathering skills".
Then I take back what I said, owing to your clarification: you're wrong as usual.

UO had items crafted by players. So what? So does practically every MMO. But UO also had item drops; Albion doesn't: every usable item is obtained solely through crafting because the devs read somewhere that mob item loot is bad in a sandbox game.

In keeping with the homogenized nature of the game, raw materials are tiered like everything else and producing a refined material requires refined mats of all the preceding tiers because the devs heard somewhere that it'd bolster the economy of a sandbox game. In the world of Albion, steel is smelted from bronze bars because the ends justify the dubious means and fuck making sense.

As for mob diversity, UO had at least 50 distinct mob types. Each mob of a given type didn't have the exact same stats, either. But Albion has only 4 mob factions and some resource critters and all mobs of a type have the exact same stats. There is no variability in this or any other aspect of the game. It contributes to the uniformly sterile nature of the world, if you can even call a graph of copypasted zones with predefined exit points (like the solar systems in EVE Online, the only comparison that holds) a world.

Finally, despite not having levels or classes, the character advancement system in conjunction with the brainlessly simplistic mechanics makes for some of the most restrictive gameplay I've ever experienced in an MMO. You literaly "are what you wear", to use the devs' buzzphrase, and nothing more. It's meant to be some RPG/MOBA hybrid but it's the worst of both worlds. You're locked to a total of 6 abilities (you can't swap equipment in combat, thus you can't change your abilities) and all but one or two of them generally have cooldowns between 10-60 seconds. I'd take classes over this shit any day of the week if it meant the combat was more about decisions made during the fight than before it.

Really the only thing Albion shares in common with UO is the reputation system the devs tried to plagiarize from it.

What do you expect from other MMOs that make you feel any differently?
Most other MMOs in the same vein (Albion is not a sandbox game despite the devs touting it as one) attempt to mask the fact, however inadvertently, that they're checklist grinding simulators, but Albion doesn't because its devs are too clueless to realize that the directive is to create something fun first.

The game is garbage and there's no salvaging it because it's made for the mobile generation by a group of incompetent amateurs not much older or wiser. Six months post-release the only people left playing it will be a scattered contingent of eurotrash manchildren with anime avatars reposting memes and talking shit to one another on the forums.

If saying this means I'm mad or rustled, so be it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
The game is a shit load of fun once you get past the learning curve. Devs did the right thing by delaying till mid summer.

My small guild has been in the low end bz pvping non stop. Top 20 in PvP fame for the week and second in 5v5 Territory siege wins with four. What I enjoy the most is the risk vs reward in the black PvP zones. Secondly all the weapon / armor combos with over 100+ possible builds.

AO is a good guild team work building exercise. If your guild is in between games check it out.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Then I take back what I said, owing to your clarification: you're wrong as usual.

UO had items crafted by players. So what? So does practically every MMO. But UO also had item drops; Albion doesn't: every usable item is obtained solely through crafting because the devs read somewhere that mob item loot is bad in a sandbox game.

This is not true. Dungeons drop artifact pieces for the artifact gear and actual armor pieces drop as well. Combine this with the best silver/fame farming places and it gives guilds a reason to fight over resources. Hellgates also allow for 5v5 pvp with the reward for winning being rights to kill a boss that drops a shitton of gear and rare crafting equipment.

In keeping with the homogenized nature of the game, raw materials are tiered like everything else and producing a refined material requires refined mats of all the preceding tiers because the devs heard somewhere that it'd bolster the economy of a sandbox game. In the world of Albion, steel is smelted from bronze bars because the ends justify the dubious means and fuck making sense.
Who the fuck cares whether the resources used are realistic? I can get behind you disliking the mechanics, sure, to each their own. But this is a silly argument

As for mob diversity, UO had at least 50 distinct mob types. Each mob of a given type didn't have the exact same stats, either. But Albion has only 4 mob factions and some resource critters and all mobs of a type have the exact same stats. There is no variability in this or any other aspect of the game. It contributes to the uniformly sterile nature of the world, if you can even call a graph of copypasted zones with predefined exit points (like the solar systems in EVE Online, the only comparison that holds) a world.
Can't argue with this. It is a pvp focused game however so it doesn't bother me much. YMMV

Finally, despite not having levels or classes, the character advancement system in conjunction with the brainlessly simplistic mechanics makes for some of the most restrictive gameplay I've ever experienced in an MMO. You literaly "are what you wear", to use the devs' buzzphrase, and nothing more. It's meant to be some RPG/MOBA hybrid but it's the worst of both worlds. You're locked to a total of 6 abilities (you can't swap equipment in combat, thus you can't change your abilities) and all but one or two of them generally have cooldowns between 10-60 seconds. I'd take classes over this shit any day of the week if it meant the combat was more about decisions made during the fight than before it.

Again, true. However this is only a problem because you don't like the system, it is not objectively bad. I happen to like it right now. In six months? Who fucking knows. Good pvp and solid functionality (which isn't always present, some buggy input stuff in the game) are enough content wise to allow me to deal with and even enjoy its simplicity.

Really the only thing Albion shares in common with UO is the reputation system the devs tried to plagiarize from it.

Most other MMOs in the same vein (Albion is not a sandbox game despite the devs touting it as one) attempt to mask the fact, however inadvertently, that they're checklist grinding simulators, but Albion doesn't because its devs are too clueless to realize that the directive is to create something fun first.

The game is garbage and there's no salvaging it because it's made for the mobile generation by a group of incompetent amateurs not much older or wiser. Six months post-release the only people left playing it will be a scattered contingent of eurotrash manchildren with anime avatars reposting memes and talking shit to one another on the forums.

If saying this means I'm mad or rustled, so be it.

Albion has just about every core mechanic of every previous sandbox game that I know of. I'm curious what your requirements are for something to be considered a sandbox? You seem to have something personal against the game which is fine, but you are misrepresenting it with your negative bullshit. All of your points just amount to "I dont like it!"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
This is not true. Dungeons drop artifact pieces for the artifact gear and actual armor pieces drop as well.
Unless something has changed since the last test, these are still just mats that must be combined with others in order to be crafted into the actual item before it can be used.

Who the fuck cares whether the resources used are realistic? I can get behind you disliking the mechanics, sure, to each their own. But this is a silly argument
I mention it not so much because it's nonsensical but because it reveals the rationale behind their design decisions: i.e., try to get the result we want and everything else be damned. At best it's just absurd; at worst it causes collateral damage to related systems. Either way they don't give a shit.

This philosophy is evident in every other area of the game. The riding mechanics are a prime example. There are several unintuitive, special-case rules governing how mounts function in this game (10-second global cooldown on dismount unless your mount is "killed" from underneath you, silly distinct states of "temporarily dismounted" and "fully dismounted", differing cast times depending on state, etc.) Mostly because the devs are terrified that some hapless newbie jaunting across the land on foot might get ridden down by a pack of nutcuppers on direwolves, a scenario that still happens anyway in spite of these rules. And all for what? So mount-related gameplay in general may also suffer, apparently.

However this is only a problem because you don't like the system, it is not objectively bad. I happen to like it right now. In six months? Who fucking knows.
So it's not objectively bad because you subjectively like it for the time being, huh. What a decisive refutation.

Albion has just about every core mechanic of every previous sandbox game that I know of. I'm curious what your requirements are for something to be considered a sandbox? You seem to have something personal against the game which is fine, but you are misrepresenting it with your negative bullshit. All of your points just amount to "I dont like it!"
The sandbox designation is too often used to excuse games with a dearth of content and mechanics that either don't support or actively restrict what players can do with the content that does exist.

Here's an exhaustive list of what's possible in Albion:
  • kill mobs for fame, silver, and crafting mats
  • harvest nodes for crafting mats
  • craft items
  • repair and reroll items
  • buy/sell items on the AH
  • play Farmville-lite on your instanced island
  • kill another player for his items (whatever doesn't randomly explode into trash anyway), but only if you're in a full-loot zone
  • join a guild
  • engage in instanced 5v5 fights over static copypasted territories
  • engage in instanced 5v5 fights over static copypasted hellgates
  • loot a treasure chest in a static location on a static timer.
That's it. That's all there is and nothing falls outside those bounds.

You can't build sandcastles out of cat litter.

And the only misrepresentation going on here is by the devs themselves in that farce of a promotional trailer linked earlier in this thread. You bet your ass "everybody matters" when we're looking to sell more founder packs to finance our 4th year of rudderless "testing".

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Now that was a much better argument. You made some real points that didn't just come off as vitriol. I think that a number of mechanics have changes since you last played. Loot does in fact drop and the mount/dismount mechanics aren't as you described.

So it's not objectively bad because you subjectively like it for the time being, huh. What a decisive refutation.

You are just making the same point that I made. I have no interest in refuting you or white knighting this game. You were inaccurately representing it however so I spoke up with my opinions, subjective as they are.

As far as the sandbox claim about the game you still didn't explain what a sandbox is, only that Albion isn't one. If that's all it takes then I claim that it IS a sandbox due to its similarities to others games that have that title.... so there!

Your list of activities in Albion is fairly accurate to the best of my knowledge but again, I can do this with any game and make it sound shitty.

EQ:
Kill mindless monsters outside
Kill mindless monsters inside
Do mostly shitty fetch quests using a terrible quest system that requires google
Group with your pals to kill mindless big ass monsters
Stand in a zone and sell your pixels
Craft mostly worthless stuff
Join a guild!

That's it. There's nothing that falls outside those bounds

See what I did there? I love EQ as most folks here do/did but it sure sounds like dogshit if you word it correctly.

All that being said I want to be clear that I have no clue whether this game is being run by baboons and will tank immediately or if its the second coming of pre-trammel UO. What I do know is that I'm having fun with it and the concept is interesting. You clearly know more about the game than I do, yet you also clearly have not played recently and have locked in your opinion. I fucking hate the beta excuse but you are likely basing your opinions on earlier versions of the game because, at least for now, everytime I log in I have a ton of shit to do. The sheep have not yet fled the pasture so this is the best time to play this sort of game. Just play it for what it is, a mobile capable mmo-lite that isn't really innovating anything but is fun despite that.

muiy

Molten Core Raider
If the game's supporters are admitting that it's an MMO-Lite then that validates uniqueuser's case that it's not a meaningful sandbox, doesn't it?

Is a shallow, grindy sandbox worth playing?

I watched an Albion stream on Twitch for two minutes (and stayed at a Holiday Inn last night) and the streamer said that it's basically impossible to take a settlement from an active guild. If true then that's also a lot different than UO where raiding other people's houses and castles was a common and quite destructive occurrence.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Not a meaningful sandbox /= not a sandbox. Meaningful is subjective, which is turning into my favorite word in this thread apparently. I don't know much about high end play so I can't comment on that. I don't think uniqueuser is necessarily wrong about the game, I just took issue with their excessive negativity and baseless claims about it. Our back and forth here has brought us both a bit closer to the middle which is really all I was looking to do.

A lot of us base our opinion of games on this community so I felt like I should speak up. I haven't followed this games development at all so I didn't come in with any preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn't be. I like it so far, that's really all there is to it.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Lots of people claim things are "impossible" if they fail at them for whatever reason (usually because they get outplayed/outclassed/outnumbered/etc). That being said, i'll probably try to get into a pvp guild in the next week or two once I level up a bit more and will be able to give a first-hand account of stuff like that. Just saying people like to cry on the internet if they fail to do something instead of figure out why they failed and how to succeed. Granted, if it's anything like objective capturing based pvp in other games (especially if they limit number of participants on either side) then he's probably right, tho, assuming defenders get some sort of advantage in the form of mobs/defenses/whatever.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Despite all the claims, this game is no sandbox. Removing classes and making your level up system a bit more broadly accessible is no sandbox. Games like minecraft or second life are a sandbox. This is clearly the love child of Eve and Ultima Online, except the Online family's baby Albion is being raised by millenial cucks.

This game is perfect for me. Unrestricted/classless advancement, heavy pvp and pvpve options, open markets, mobile functionality (tyen wru eqmobile), and RL friends actually going to join. I will play it and I will even enjoy it... but no, I will not call it a sandbox. It is waaaay too rigid to even pretend to be one. I think this could be so, so much better if it just bailed on that nonsense idea and doubled down on what it actually is.

Not even sure how sandbox became the heavily defended thread backdrop. It's so obviously not one.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
This game is a lot better than I thought it would be. Has a lot of work to do but surprisingly good. It's basically like a moba-esque mmo with a completely player driven economy.

If anyone's thinking of giving this a shot use my referral link and I'll split any gold I get with you 50/50.

Brand New Sandbox MMORPG 2017 | Albion Online

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Also, there's so many people on this game it's ridiculous. I don't see how they're going to only have 1 global server. Seems like they should have a separate NA and EU server. I don't mind personally because the server is located in Washington DC which I live super close too and therefor have perma 20-30 ping which is real nice. But the population seems a bit much at least in the starting continent areas.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Once you move to black/red zones this evens out significantly.

Am sitting about 1.5m fame atm, pushing to finish out full t6. Game is still fun but I see the writing on the wall for endgame. As of now it is hell gates, fame farming, or zerging as your main options.

Personally I hope doing small/medium group sized open world PvP is supported more in the future. Fixing the fame system will go a long way to allowing royal continent pvp, which should fill this niche.

I still say the game is worth checking out if you know the formula (grind or gather for half or more of your play time, pvp the rest if you're lucky) and like this type of game

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Here's an exhaustive list of what's possible in Albion:
  • engage in instanced 5v5 fights over static copypasted territories
  • engage in instanced 5v5 fights over static copypasted hellgates
  • loot a treasure chest in a static location on a static timer.
That's it. That's all there is and nothing falls outside those bounds.

I watched a couple of gameplay videos and this is giving me HARD UO nostalgia, except for the instanced PVP. Is that for real?

The gameplay videos make it look like more than 10 people fighting.

Also, instanced housing is super lame.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This game is a lot better than I thought it would be. Has a lot of work to do but surprisingly good. It's basically like a moba-esque mmo with a completely player driven economy.

If anyone's thinking of giving this a shot use my referral link and I'll split any gold I get with you 50/50.

Brand New Sandbox MMORPG 2017 | Albion Online

How much gold do you get? And while your link has a ref #, as soon as you land on the page it disappears. They tracking purchases w cookies or something?

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
How much gold do you get? And while your link has a ref #, as soon as you land on the page it disappears. They tracking purchases w cookies or something?

Depends which bundle you buy but I think it's like 1,000, 2,000 then 4,000. So if you buy a legendary I'll give you 2k gold etc which is basically equal to either 350k silver or an extra month of premium membership.

"There's open world PvP too.

If you can call a graph of randomly generated, clonestamped zones with static entrances only at the cardinal points of each map a world, that is."

Ya not sure why they have the zones only be static entrances. They should make it so you can enter other zones just about anywhere on the map and have the static zone points be more of an exception than the rule.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Nothing noteworthy. There are public dungeons at each tier (1-8) in solo and group varieties. This is where you do most of your fame grinding, and they are often contested in pvp. You have Hellgates which are instanced 5 man PvPvE content. Two groups are dropped at opposite ends and they clear the mobs until the meet, winner gets to continue and kill the boss for tons of loot. There are also solo and group expeditions which are very basic PvE instances.

PvE is just another resource to be contested