Albion Online

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
My biggest gripe was I wanted to like it and didn't. It's been 20 years since uo came out and this game was so close to being the next uo but for whatever reason it just didn't have the magic... Maybe it's the zones or item based abilities? I can't quite put my finger on it.

It became very frustrating with the resource grind and how slow and unrewarding it all felt.

The auction houses take away some of the player interaction as well, although they arent linked between towns it still made it impossible to carve out a space in the game for yourself.

You interacted with the world but you don't really get a part of it on a small scale. You go big or go home.

Although player towns in uo were eyesores sometimes, there's just something satisfying on plopping down a small house in the woods that is yours and you have become part of that world.

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
To those who are playing and enjoying the game, what are your plans for income on release? I'm leaning towards the max founders pack, upgrading personal island to max or one off max and breeding horses/oxen/wolves. Does anyone know the kind of income you can generate buying land plots in martlock and which shop is best to build?

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
To those who are playing and enjoying the game, what are your plans for income on release? I'm leaning towards the max founders pack, upgrading personal island to max or one off max and breeding horses/oxen/wolves. Does anyone know the kind of income you can generate buying land plots in martlock and which shop is best to build?

Raw materials are always the most profitable. Refined materials sell quicker, and are easier to transport from black zones (if you are refining in guild territories), but you get less than the individual components. The bonus to refined mats is with focus/black zone refining stations allows you to get 50% returns on refining. With how hard it is to level up to higher gathering tiers, even several months into the game T6.1/2/3 sells very consistently and very well. Additionally, flat T6 planks sell for ~2k a piece.

Based on experience in past betas, past the first month or so the city plots aren't worth it. I know some people buy them up quick, get income early and sell them off in the first round of auctions.

Horses are a decent way to make money, but to make real money you have to get in early and grow the highest horses. There is fierce competition in the horse market and it eventually takes a pretty hard dive for everything but the highest end horses. Higher level horses take huge amounts of food, and need leather (or metal) but there is always a market for T4/T5 horses.

Edit: Doing this casually can sustain me pretty well, but I don't go hunt out PvP or do Hellgates outside of guild castle or siege camp defenses, so I don't die that often.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
I'm having a great time with this game, in a small guild of gaming buddies. We're stomping HGs like crazy, won probably the last 20 in a row.

Each to their own, full loot PvP games are a blast for me. You need the right people to play with, however.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kind of sad to hear the consensus is that the game isn't really good.

Someone really needs to hurry up and make a fantasy EVE-style game.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking for a guild to join for release if anyone has any suggestions or is a part of/runs a guild. Lemme know!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I've been thinking about this and I have no idea. I made a ton of gold in WoW, but I used lot of addons to track the economy and play around with what was selling. Having said that, I'd be interested to hear what others have done to make money in beta.

As far as my gameplay goes, I made the mistake of going down several different combat paths in beta. I spent time in-game figuring out which weapons I wanted to use, rather than researching them and then only using that one weapon. I still haven't really figured out how armor interacts with different weapons. The result is that I'm having to spend a lot more Learning Points than necessary. Def won't make that mistake once the game goes live.

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
This is my first beta phase and ive done too many things, on release im gonna go plate>mace , crossbow for soloing. Gonna gather ore and leather and beeed horses. I'm running with a small EU guild and personally think the best way to make money is ganking in black zones in small groups 3-5 people

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This is my first beta phase and ive done too many things, on release im gonna go plate>mace , crossbow for soloing. Gonna gather ore and leather and beeed horses. I'm running with a small EU guild and personally think the best way to make money is ganking in black zones in small groups 3-5 people

Why mace? I'm thinking of going plate > dual swords. Also thinking of breeding horses and farming leather for monies.

I leveled crossbow a lot in beta and I can solo a lot better with higher dmg weapons. Plate > crossbow is really slow and the dmg isn't great imo.

Last edited:

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
mace is good in pvp, can either have a double silence or roots and snares for a lot of control in both pve and pvp. I make decent money crafting swords, and i think dual swords is getting a buff. You've got to think about what kind of role you want to play iin pve groups and pvp groups, wearing plate with dual swords is like a semi gimped build as your damage will be quite poor and your survivability wont be great due to lack of shield

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
mace is good in pvp, can either have a double silence or roots and snares for a lot of control in both pve and pvp. I make decent money crafting swords, and i think dual swords is getting a buff. You've got to think about what kind of role you want to play iin pve groups and pvp groups, wearing plate with dual swords is like a semi gimped build as your damage will be quite poor and your survivability wont be great due to lack of shield

What are some of the popular builds going to be at release?

Are you saying I should go light armor and dual swords then?

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Go medium for swords. Dual swords are being changed, so maybe they will be better, but as of now they are just a shittier version of Clarent blade. You can play any way you want obv, but light swords is going to be super squishy, and heavy wont have enough pressure to perform swords role in a fight until maybe super late when your item level is crazy high.

Here is a fairly current list of good builds: Builds

Also this for overview of all skills as of the beginning of this beta phase: Armor & Weapon Skills

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
plate/leather with clarent blade and shield(sarcophogas) is going to be popular, its got good mobility but little cc. If you wanna play dps with dual swords then its gotta be leather armour imo. Tank builds are going to be plate + mace for multiple cc options, maybe some hammers thrown in too. The trouble is unless you have a hardcore group that you play with all the time you're probably going to have to chop and change quite a bit to suit, so having swords with both leather and plate trained will give you loads of options for both pve and pvp. My group isnt keen on me wearing plate for small scale openworld pvp, but i find the survivability is great and often saves me/the group and when i pve i only ever really want to tank so its plate all the way for me

• 1Like

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
There should be another round of changes come late may / early june with the next big patch so I would hold off with final release builds and plans.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
So I gave this game about a month and I'm legit convinced the dev team is either retarded or straight trolling or something. Just the other day I encountered quite possibly the dumbest fucking mechanic I've seen in any MMO in my life. Basically what happened was me and a group of 3 other dudes zoned into this max level dungeon. We pull some entrance mobs while waiting for the rest of our group. Some troll wearing garbage 2 cent gear pulls a bunch of other mobs and dumps them on top of us then uses an invis skill which basically transferred the agro to us. We were literally right next to the zone in so normally this wouldn't be a big deal. EXCEPT YOU CAN'T FUCKING ZONE WHEN IN COMBAT APPARENTLY. So what ended up happening was we got knocked down by the mobs while the player that trained us flagged up for PvP while we were slowly waking up but since the flagging mechanic is 2x as fast as the wake up mechanic, he was able to execute all 4 of us and take all of our gear and was able to make it 2 zones away to a safe zone so we have zero chance of ever getting it back.

There's so many other things wrong with the game but I'm not going to even bother getting into them. So in short, don't waste your money on this pile of shit game. Sucks too because the game actually has potential but the dev team is clearly full retard with some of their decision making.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
The game is riddled with special-case rules and mechanics they implemented to stop "exploits" yet manage only to open new avenues for them.

The one thing AO really excels at is creating sheer frustration and disbelief in its players as it violates every reasonable assumption of how a game should work.

• 1Like

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
Liking the update to outlands although the t8 resources only in territories is retarded and im guessing that will get changed. Can't believe people are whining about being trained in a pvp dungeon whilst playing an open world PvP, sandbox game. Man the fuck up.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah, you're going to get trained, shit happens whether you're at the zone in or not. Did they change it so you can't zone while in combat? You used to be able to exit dungeons with mobs on you no problem when I was playing (waiting for release now so I don't end up burnt out).