<Donors Crew>
15d 22h 30m
Reactions
6,110 72 0 0
3.60 star(s) Rating: 3.60/5 5 Votes
Title: Alita: Battle Angel

Genre: Action, Adventure, Romance, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Robert Rodriguez

Cast: Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz, Ed Skrein, Mahershala Ali, Jennifer Connelly, Keean Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Lana Condor, Jackie Earle Haley, Eiza González, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Marko Zaror, Elle LaMont, Leonard Wu, Casper Van Dien, Jeff Fahey, Idara Victor, Sam Medina, Liz Tabish

Release: 2018-07-19

Plot: In the twenty-sixth century, a female cyborg is rescued from the scrap heap by a scientist.

Dr.Retarded

<Donors Crew>
15d 22h 30m
Reactions
6,110 72 0 0
Had heard Cameron was trying to do this, and it seems like it really flew under the radar.

Her eyes look fucking creepy...

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Donor All-Stars>
22d 22m
Reactions
671 49 0 0
Yeah he's been trying to have this made for years, I remember reading about it years ago.

It looks pretty cool, but I agree eyes look fucking creepy. I understand she is a robot not meant to look entirely human, but that extremely weird nonetheless.

Xadion

27d 6h 0m
Reactions
8,543 621 0 0
Its really a double nod to anime style big eyes and to that she is a robot - yet the others do not have big eyes so...

the anime ended when she
got up to the top right? there was no more after? at least not show/movie, I don't read the books/manga
so I wonder if this will be the same, and or lead to more?

Dr.Retarded

<Donors Crew>
15d 22h 30m
Reactions
6,110 72 0 0
It's been years since I saw the anime, I think it's something along those lines.

I vaguely remember her dying or getting ripped apart or something, too

I understand the big eye anime shit, but it just looks fucking weird when everyone else looks normal.

Funkor

Knight of the Realm
9d 3h 3m
Reactions
333 40 0 0
Its really a double nod to anime style big eyes and to that she is a robot - yet the others do not have big eyes so...

the anime ended when she
got up to the top right? there was no more after? at least not show/movie, I don't read the books/manga
so I wonder if this will be the same, and or lead to more?
The manga timelines are complicated. The original manga (Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita) continued on past the anime. The author got sick and put together an ending sooner than it was supposed to run though so it was a bit sappy. He then came back and made Gunnm Last Order as an alternative continued story from the original. That series ended and now he has Gunnm Mars Chronicle which is ongoing.

Warr

Knight of the Realm
10d 7h 18m
Reactions
130 15 0 0
Please don't suck
Please don't suck
Please don't suck

Although with James Cameron involved I am optimistic.

This was the first anime I ever saw and was on top of my list of favorites for a long time.

The manga series spans like 8 volumes and the original spans like a 2 of those books. There's also another manga series as well that I haven't gotten as deep into.

Chanur

Not Soygen
<Donor All-Stars>
36d 18h 40m
Reactions
7,721 782 0 0
The CGI face is a little off putting. Hope it doesn't keep me from watching or enjoying this. So shes a cyborg, I take it her face is partly human? If so why the big eyes, if not why was she crying?

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
52d 8h 32m
Reactions
29,377 5,851 0 0
The CGI face is a little off putting. Hope it doesn't keep me from watching or enjoying this. So shes a cyborg, I take it her face is partly human? If so why the big eyes, if not why was she crying?
there are two different answers to this.
1. the movie answer where it just encapulates the first few chapters of the manga
2. the real answer

big eyes? either old white man has anime eye fetish, or really Alita has always been the tiny girl bordering on pedo, with a slightly larger head and eyes than the rest.

Xadion

27d 6h 0m
Reactions
8,543 621 0 0
The manga timelines are complicated. The original manga (Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita) continued on past the anime. The author got sick and put together an ending sooner than it was supposed to run though so it was a bit sappy. He then came back and made Gunnm Last Order as an alternative continued story from the original. That series ended and now he has Gunnm Mars Chronicle which is ongoing.
Okay yeah... crazy... I was merely talking about animated movie - I think it stopped and they never made another vid to continue it on.

Warr

Knight of the Realm
10d 7h 18m
Reactions
130 15 0 0
Time to expand my collection!

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
52d 8h 32m
Reactions
29,377 5,851 0 0
Okay yeah... crazy... I was merely talking about animated movie - I think it stopped and they never made another vid to continue it on.
Yea the OVA did vol 1+2, which i'm sure from the preview is what this is going to work off of.

Xadion

27d 6h 0m
Reactions
8,543 621 0 0
Wasn't there a "similar" concept movie a few years ago... Tom Cruise? The whole "haves live up in deesky"

j00t

Trakanon Raider
14d 22h 7m
Reactions
1,514 250 0 0
the eyes aren't exactly off-putting to me, but they definitely stand out as odd. artistically, large eyes signify innocence and wonder. i don't know anything about the IP, maybe that makes sense for the character, maybe it's just a bizarro design choice.

Zindan

<Donors Crew>
14d 1h 56m
Reactions
1,274 74 0 0
Looks ok to me, I think we'll get used to the large eyes quickly.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
<Donors Crew>
Reactions
10,394 3,225 0 0
The eyes are a bit off putting and creepy. I half think deliberately so. Probably in part out of loyalty to the source materiel. But it's certainly a risk putting that kind of hurdle in front of audiences who have little to no experience with anime in general. But there is a payoff to be had if they become accustomed to it over the course of the movie and her story makes her a compelling character people can get behind. The sense that you were helped over that hurdle can make it more satisfying in the end.

A lot of if's there though.

ohkcrlho

Vyemm Raider
5d 17h 36m
Reactions
1,308 809 0 0
Never heard about this anime but it looks cool.
My only complaint is the cgi slomo bits. I thought that shit was old news , still will see this in a movie theater.

Although we have Cameron's involvement, remember that this is another Japanese manga/anime made by Hollywood nonetheless. So...for the fans, be very cautious.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database