All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

Genre: Action, Drama, War

Director: Edward Berger

Cast: Felix Kammerer, Albrecht Schuch, Aaron Hilmer, Edin Hasanović, Devid Striesow, Daniel Brühl, Moritz Klaus, Sebastian Hülk, Anton von Lucke, Michael Wittenborn, Luc Feit, Andreas Döhler, André Marcon, Tobias Langhoff, Adrian Grünewald, Thibault de Montalembert, Nico Ehrenteit, Wolf Danny Homann, Charles Morillon, Jakob Schmidt, Peter Sikorski, Sascha Nathan, Alexander Schuster, Michael Stange, Joe Weintraub, Daniel Kamen, Markus Tomczyk, Dominikus Weileder

Release: 2022-10-07

Runtime: 147

Plot: Paul Baumer and his dogs Albert and Muller, egged on by romantic dreams of heroism, voluntarily enlist in the German army. Full of excitement and patriotic fervour, the boys enthusiastically march into a war they believe in. But once on the Western Front, they discover the soul-destroying horror of World War I.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
glZfjVEzZCJ7oTHWa3m6KefcoRN.jpg

Title: All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

Genre: Action, Drama, War

Director: Edward Berger

Cast: Felix Kammerer, Albrecht Schuch, Aaron Hilmer, Edin Hasanović, Devid Striesow, Daniel Brühl, Moritz Klaus, Sebastian Hülk, Anton von Lucke, Michael Wittenborn, Luc Feit, Andreas Döhler, André Marcon, Tobias Langhoff, Adrian Grünewald, Thibault de Montalembert, Nico Ehrenteit, Wolf Danny Homann, Charles Morillon, Jakob Schmidt, Peter Sikorski, Sascha Nathan, Alexander Schuster, Michael Stange, Joe Weintraub, Daniel Kamen, Markus Tomczyk, Dominikus Weileder

Release: 2022-10-07

Runtime: 147

Plot: Paul Baumer and his dogs Albert and Muller, egged on by romantic dreams of heroism, voluntarily enlist in the German army. Full of excitement and patriotic fervour, the boys enthusiastically march into a war they believe in. But once on the Western Front, they discover the soul-destroying horror of World War I.

So glad they're using actual German. This looks great.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
This is a very important piece of literature, one the most important.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

One of the books I want to get to by the end of the year is The Road Back, the story commonly regarded as the sequel to All Quiet on the Western Front. Given when it was written I am really interested in seeing if it's just fucking full of dark omens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its also one of the most iconic films in cinematic history.
All Quiet on the Western Front is a 1930 American pre-Code epic anti-war film based on the 1929 novel of the same name by German novelist Erich Maria Remarque. Directed by Lewis Milestone, it stars Louis Wolheim, Lew Ayres, John Wray, Arnold Lucy, and Ben Alexander. It is the first Best Picture winner based on a novel.

All Quiet on the Western Front opened to wide acclaim in the United States. Considered a realistic and harrowing account of warfare in World War I, it made the American Film Institute's first 100 Years...100 Movies list in 1997. A decade later, after the same organization polled over 1,501 workers in the creative community, All Quiet on the Western Front was ranked the seventh-best American epic film.[5][6] In 1991, the film was selected and preserved by the United States Library of Congress' National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[7][8] The film was the first to win the Academy Awards for both Outstanding Production and Best Director.

Its sequel, The Road Back (1936), portrays members of the 2nd Company returning home after the war.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
its also one of the most iconic films in cinematic history.
All Quiet on the Western Front is a 1930 American pre-Code epic anti-war film based on the 1929 novel of the same name by German novelist Erich Maria Remarque. Directed by Lewis Milestone, it stars Louis Wolheim, Lew Ayres, John Wray, Arnold Lucy, and Ben Alexander. It is the first Best Picture winner based on a novel.

All Quiet on the Western Front opened to wide acclaim in the United States. Considered a realistic and harrowing account of warfare in World War I, it made the American Film Institute's first 100 Years...100 Movies list in 1997. A decade later, after the same organization polled over 1,501 workers in the creative community, All Quiet on the Western Front was ranked the seventh-best American epic film.[5][6] In 1991, the film was selected and preserved by the United States Library of Congress' National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[7][8] The film was the first to win the Academy Awards for both Outstanding Production and Best Director.

Its sequel, The Road Back (1936), portrays members of the 2nd Company returning home after the war.

Are you ok?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The original 1930 version is shockingly violent. I'd recommend it to anyone.

This fella

made a really solid review/analysis of it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
I like the movie, but it changes certain things from the book which I believe take away from the story as a whole. And I cant for the life of me figure out why they took out certain scenes and added other ones. Even with the great cinematography, the 1930s one is better

I like it as a WW1 movie (even though some of the battle scenes are Hollywood cheese-wiz), Not as All Quiet on the Western Front

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Watched this new version last night, it’s good. Some properly grisly shit in it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I watched this last night. I always loved that book. One of the very few books I reread every few years.

My war experience pales in comparison but some of it hits me. In the just wanting it to be all over. I don't think the movie captured it so well but in the book Paul was truly just done once all of his friends ate it. He was happy to just have it all be over and the kid at the end didn't really convey that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I watched this last night. I always loved that book. One of the very few books I reread every few years.

My war experience pales in comparison but some of it hits me. In the just wanting it to be all over. I don't think the movie captured it so well but in the book Paul was truly just done once all of his friends ate it. He was happy to just have it all be over and the kid at the end didn't really convey that.
I disagree. I haven’t read the book, and haven’t seen the old movie since I was a teen, so honestly I completely forgot what it was even about. The scene where they gave orders to go back out, I could see in his face that he just didn’t give a fuck. The way he was charging in flat faced instead of frightened like all previous scenes conveyed to me that he did not care anymore and just wanted to be done. While that was going on it dawned on me he wasn’t going to make it through, because he didn’t want to. The final scene with him, he looked very much at peace, like he just sat down and calmly joined his bros.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really enjoyed the movie. It's been 30 years since I've read the book so I can't really comment on the changes the movie made. I was really viewing it as just a World War I movie instead of a book adaptation. But in that context it was really good

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If you enjoy WW1 history, "They Shall Not Grow Old" is a great documentary done by Peter Jackson. It was on HBO Max for a while, not sure if it still is.

That said, despite the few changes from the book(the way Kat dies is pretty fucking retarded and the most egregious change IMO), I really enjoyed it. The cinematography is fantastic and it does a pretty good job of conveying what an absolute hellhole WW1 was. Watching movies like these always crack me up in how "enjoyable" men can make an absolute fucked situation simply by having a sense of "brotherhood". Yet women can't be in a room together for more than 2 hours without wanting to murder each other.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Really enjoyed this. The cinematography was amazing. Very well acted and shot.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database