American Made (2017)

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
3.50 star(s) Rating: 3.50/5 2 Votes
Title: American Made (2017)

Genre: Crime, Thriller

Director: Doug Liman

Cast: Tom Cruise, Sarah Wright, Domhnall Gleeson, Alejandro Edda, Mauicio Mejia, Jayma Mays, Jesse Plemons, Lola Kirke, Jayson Warner Smith, William Mark McCullough, Lara Grice, Frank Licari, Jed Rees, Caleb Landry Jones, Connor Trinneer, April Billingsley, Benito Martinez, Kayla Perkins, Justice Leak, Sharon Conley, Mike Pniewski, Robert Pralgo, E. Roger Mitchell, Michael Mercaldi, Morgan Hinkleman, Patti Schellhaas, Courtney Lakin, Chris Gann

Release: 2017-08-25

Plot: The true story of pilot Barry Seal, who transported contraband for the CIA and the Medellin cartel in the 1980s.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just saw this, fairly decent - like Narcos but from the perspective of the pilot and with a less serious vibe. First hour flew by.

Solid 6.5/10, good watch but no hurry to rewatch

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Is this out already? I saw a trailer for it last weekend but it's not playing.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Just got back from this, it wasn't bad. 6.5/10. Its a bit more goofy than serious, which is weird considering the subject matter, but it does mostly play it straight and dramatic. I enjoyed the 2 hours watching but there really aren't any memorable scenes or anything, and the movie vanishes from your memory rapidly. The biggest problem I think is that in a world with 3 seasons of Narcos on television, which more or less covers the same time period and topic, its really hard to hold this movie up when Narcos is so much more rich, nuanced, multi faceted, etc. Of course its terribly unfair to compare a 2 hour movie with 30 hours of television too.

Tom Cruise is great, he pretty much plays the same upbeat maniac character he plays in every movie, the wife is fucking hot but you don't really get a whole lot of her, and the other characters are all fleeting and you don't really ever get to know anyone. Its fun to watch but no real reason to see it in theaters, may as well wait for redbox/streaming.

The movie it frankly reminded me a lot of was Wolf of Wall Street, but that movie absolutely celebrated its excesses and had some absolutely memorable scenes and actors while this movie just kinda putters along and then ends with nothing standing out. Also Wolf had Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn) naked a few scenes whereas sadly Sarah Wright never gets naked in this movie.

Tom Cruise is no Leonardo DiCaprio. DiCaprio is a more complicated actor than Cruise. Cruise kinda has maybe 3 or 4 modes of expression. When they work, they do kick ass. I still rewatch A Few Good Men periodically. I view that film as his pinnacle. He managed to hold his ground against vintage Jack. That is not easy.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Tom Cruise is no Leonardo DiCaprio. DiCaprio is a more complicated actor than Cruise. Cruise kinda has maybe 3 or 4 modes of expression. When they work, they do kick ass. I still rewatch A Few Good Men periodically. I view that film as his pinnacle. He managed to hold his ground against vintage Jack. That is not easy.

Its already been mentioned, but he's absolutely killed other roles. People just choose to forget about them. Collateral was one example. A Few Good Men another. We could keep going. He works REALLY well in Sci-fi/star trek/space odyssey stuff-- the box office seems inclined to agree. His agents know what is a Tom Cruise script and what isn't, and so people can be misled into conflating his incredible success with his talent as an actor.

But yes you are dead right, a thespian Cruise is not... Cruise is an "actor". Leo worked his whole life to get out of the "actor" category. And at the very least, he's made the 100 greatest modern actors of all time short-list.

Appreciate the insight spronk. This is one of those "should-i-skippers" You got some balls, or a moviepass, to go and see this.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just got home from this and I really liked it. Talk about some crazy situations. I laughed at how many banks started showing up in that little town. Who Cruise is or is not doesn't bother me, but it was an entertaining movie. Now let's get Edge of Tomorrow part 2.

• 1Like

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
No real complaints here except that Escobar felt like more of a henchman rather than the head honcho. I wasn't bored throughout and it moved at a good pace but it is pretty forgettable. Blow is a much better movie on a similar topic. 6/10.

• 1Solidarity

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got a blowjob in the parking lot where Seal was killed

Good movie, Tom Cruise may be a crazy bastard but he is entertaining.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just re-watched this tonight after seeing it when it was first in theaters.

It was still a damn fun ride. Tom knows how to make a very enjoyable movie, regardless of the subject. This is like Lord of War meets American Gangster meets Blow. Hell, throw a little Naked Gun in there for the lolz.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database