spronk

FPS noob

Analogue Pocket is out early 2020 ($199) plays:
  • GB/GBA games
  • Game Gear
  • NEO GEO (adapter)
  • Pocket Color (adapter)
  • Lynx (adapter)
  • Out of the box, Pocket is compatible with the 2,780+ Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance game cartridge library.
Can dock to TV via HDMI, rechargeable battery, 1600 x 1440 resolution screen.

"Pocket is designed around a first-in-class 3.5”, 615 ppi, LCD. With a 1600x1440 resolution, Pocket has 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy. Yeah. We can hardly believe it, either. Pro level color accuracy, dynamic range, and brightness. There has never been a display this advanced in a video game system. "

pocket1.jpg

pocket2.jpg

pocket3.jpg

Introducing Analogue Dock, for when you put it down. Play your Pocket on the big screen. Put your Pocket into Dock and it outputs directly to your HDTV. Sync up any wireless 8BitDo Bluetooth controller directly to Dock for wireless play. You can also connect controllers directly via wired USB, too.

Pocket Tech Specs
  • Compatible with Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance game cartridges.
  • 3.5" LTPS LCD. 1600×1440 resolution. 615ppi
  • Rechargeable lithium ion battery.
  • All buttons mappable.
  • Stereo Speakers.
  • microSD.
  • USB-C charging.
  • 3.5mm headphone output.
  • Original-style link plug.
  • Rechargeable battery.

Analogue Dock Tech Specs
• HDMI output. • 2 USB inputs for wired controllers. • Bluetooth for wireless controllers. • DAC compatible.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Seems cool enough although a lot of promises that don't always end up delivering. I was too old for the GBA generation so no real nostalgia factor for me, and the fact that it requires the original carts is a huge turn off. If there was some solution that let you just use a microSD card with 200 gb card and loaded up with every pirate ROM, might be a lot more interesting and I'm sure someone will figure out how to do that too.

I'd rather just play on a switch though tbh

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Does not play ROM files.
Has microSD slot.

Are they just trying to say "look mr judge, it was designed to play cartridges, not our fault 'someone' came up with a way to hack roms into it" or am I hoping too much?

I had the 1st gen Atari Lynx and while it ate batteries like Etoille eats twinkies, it was still a great time to be alive. Some really fun games.

But maybe not worth $200 of nostalgia fun.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
$200?
60bucks for a used pre-modded psp

fucking psp is easy as shit since the psp acts as a storage device too, just connect usb to it and drag and drop.

plus that shit just looks like a forever render

i mean call it what it is, they're trying to circumvent law by saying it'll play carts, but no one is dumb enough to carry around a fucking 30yr old tetris cart when you can have the entirety of all pre- ps1 gaming on a single microSD

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
its gotta target a specific age group for nostalgias sake, i guess people in their late 20s?

you can hack a vita super easy too and a $10 sd2vita adapter lets you use a 256gb microSD card. Its a bit faster than a PSP and a bit more versatile, plus the OLED screen is still absolutely gorgeous.

Its too bad you can't hack a switch lite (yet?), that would be the perfect system for this kinda thing

bolok

Trakanon Raider
its gotta target a specific age group for nostalgias sake, i guess people in their late 20s?

you can hack a vita super easy too and a $10 sd2vita adapter lets you use a 256gb microSD card. Its a bit faster than a PSP and a bit more versatile, plus the OLED screen is still absolutely gorgeous.

Its too bad you can't hack a switch lite (yet?), that would be the perfect system for this kinda thing
20s?! I can't imagine any 20 year something having any affinity for any of those handhelds.
More like 40s at this point. So its bound to be an unpopular opinion- but yes this is isn't likelt to be for you. Are you one of the below?:
1- people who want to play original carts on modern hardware/ their tv​
carts with funky addons like the pokemon pinball rumble will work here. As well as the crazy bootleg synth shit. See nanoloop- which is included​
2- emulation nazis- your average cheapass rasberry pi or arm box isn't going be accurate enough for those that give a shit. emulating systems in hardware vs software is a bit pedantic- but that is what they are doing. It's not retroarch or mame or what have you. They have a smarter than your average bear programming fpgas to simulate entire systems in hardware.​
3-the screen is total overkill and gets you pretty amazing scaling for all the original resolutions of these consoles. I love my vita oled too- but the aspect ratio is pretty aids for old games.​
4- it's pretty much guaranteed to have a jailbreak with rom loading. The second fpga and "open dev" nature of it is a total wildcard. Might be a dud, but it might get all kinds of fantastic nonsense.​
I signed up for the notification to purchase- but i fear there is a nonzero chance synth nerds will buyout the entire production.​