The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finally an HD UFO sighting.

I was on vacation last week so I'm catching up. I realize you didn't make this claim, but the tweet did, and it triggers me. As an aeronautical engineering graduate decades ago, I know just enough to be annoyed by people on the internet making absolute statements with zero justification. Which is literally what every UFO/UAP account does. (Again, this isn't directed at you, I know you were just poking fun at the HD sighting thing.)

Aeronautical nerd shit incoming. tl;dr I hate people on the internet.

What does the engine type have to do with sonic booms? The strength of a boom is based almost entirely on the shape and size of the craft making it (if we assume atmospheric conditions are a constant). I'm going to assume, for their sake, that the saucer shape is a "low boom" shape, but I really have no justification for that assumption. The whole phenomenon of sonic booms is that the air pressure in front of the aircraft cannot "get out of the way" fast enough, and thus compresses into what we call shock waves. Typically the way you lessen a boom is to disrupt those pressure waves via multiple surfaces, like canards (smaller wings, basically) in front of the main wing. That results in more but less powerful shock waves, and if you manipulate the placement properly they will somewhat disrupt each other. If you spread those waves out enough, the pressure differential as they hit you and other objects is significantly lessened (causing less noise). But the minimizing would only be done for certain speeds, because the shock wave becomes more acute the faster you go past the speed of sound. So they would likely design the aircraft to minimize the boom at cruising speed, meaning it will be bigger outside of that range. Because, contrary to what a lot of people believe from TV and movies, and from hearing one themselves, a sonic boom is constant for as long as the aircraft is supersonic. It does not only happen when they cross that Mach 1 threshold either. It is ongoing forever until you decelerate below that speed. You only hear it once because the wave has passed over you and continued following the plane. If you could somehow match the speed and position yourself exactly at the wave, it would be a continual effect (to be fair, no idea how it would sound if you could actually do that hypothetical, maybe matching speed would alter how it affects your eardrum).

I should also point out that distance clearly affects the strength of a sonic boom also. That's why the SR-71 could fly so fast at high altitudes and not alert people below with its boom. Get high enough and the shock waves dissipate before they hit the ground.

Now, getting back to the engine question, if you could somehow strap a tiny little engine onto that prototype and make it go supersonic, it would have a smaller boom than say the Concord because of its size. But would it be any quieter than a normal shaped drone that size? No clue, but just because its whole body is a "wing" doesn't automatically denote that. A B-2 is a flying wing, and if it goes supersonic it is still going to make a boom, and probably a fucking big one I'd guess. That saucer is literally just a rounded airfoil...which is what all supersonic aircraft use in some manner or another (even a dumpster with a rocket attached to it is an "airfoil" technically), and they can make huge fucking sonic booms. Scale that saucer up to the same size and I bet it big badabooms as well. Again, the type of engine literally has nothing to do with it. The only justification for that statement about "the right engines" I can think of is because someone erroneously thought that the engines are the main (or perhaps only) source of the boom. That's complete horseshit, because while the airflow inside (or outside in the exhaust) might be supersonic, that shock wave is tiny since it is based on the size of the fan/rotor blade, or the aperture of the exhaust. Sure, that shit is super loud on the ground standing next to it, but it quickly drops off with altitude/distance. But even assuming that somehow the aircraft is made to be virtually "boomless" except for the engine, what is the "right engine" to make something move at supersonic speeds without itself having supersonic flow somewhere in its mechanism? As far as I know, that's currently impossible. I mean, maybe they are talking about putting baffles on it or something, but I'm still completely in the dark as to what the "right engine" would entail. But hey, I guess if we just make wild claims on the internet, no one will question it!

I also realize it is Mashable, so getting triggered over it is similar to getting upset at something Vice says. But still!
You asked for HD? Check it out.
Now turn the phone sideways. Bam, now its an airplane! Show the ground in relation to the craft if they want to be taken even remotely seriously.

• 6Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Is Vice really the sort of attention you want though? I'm just sayin'!
correct breaking bad GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I finished up reading Ross Coulthart's book 'In Plain Sight' and it had some interesting tid bits. Ross Coulthart has a lot of connections to military intelligence and he makes very clear in the book what he feels is believable due to multiple confirmations and what he doesn't feel he can say confidently. For example he's very suspicious of the To the Stars Academy (TTSA) and it's seemingly contradictory dealings with the US government.

1. US along with other allies have programs to detect and watch UAPs come into our orbit and exit. They have a unique electromagnetic signal that makes them easy to track when they're interacting on the surface. They seem to come at regular predictable intervals and some sort of resource extraction is suspected.

2. Multiple confirmations of the US recovering alien craft.

3. Multiple confirmation of programs to reverse engineer the craft, nobody would go on the record that they had succeeded. A story is told about a senior navy scientist seeing a design drawing of the ARV the fluxliner and having a freak out. The person in question would confirm that they have memories of incident nothing else.

4. TTSA in all likelihood a front for the US government to "discover" things the US government already knows and bring them into the public.

5. Dr Edgar Mitchell saw blue lights following them around the moon during Apollo 14 and took photos of them to make sure it wasn't just something he was seeing. He only admitted this on his death bed so take it what you will. You can see them in the following photos. Since space in the background isn't' visible due to the brightness of the sun and this isn't earth it has to be another source of light. I don't know enough about what you'd be able to see on the moon to confirm this but it's listed in the book. Command Crew members supposedly saw lights in dark craters as they were transiting the "night" portions of the moon.

These two in particular show it moving across the view, far too much to be a star and earth is visible in both shots.

6. UAPs may have the ability to manipulate our minds and induce visions with skin walker ranch and some UFO encounters as examples. This is listed on a DoD power point presentation that was on Christopher Mellon's website and with this ability they may be able to "mind control" us. It's not beyond the realm of possible as we can already stimulate and induce images in the brain with magnets.

7. A common theme is that we can't know the truth about UAPs because if we did we'd realize they can do whatever they want and we have no effective means of stopping them it would cause mass panic. They are waiting until we have developed enough to be on more common footing and the reason for disclosure now is that we may finally of achieved that. This could also be a cover story for program that operates in a clearly illegal and unaccountable manner that has control over the most important piece of technology that has ever existed on earth. They want to be viewed as heros and be able to break the silence and the "leaks" and things like the TTSA are nothing more than building that case with the public so they won't be jailed when disclosure is forced. They were clearly panicing over a Hillary presidency as she clearly stated she wanted to force disclosure of the program multiple times and behind the scenes Podesta was planning for exactly as seen in the wikileak emails.

8. There are tons of pamphlets and news articles from 50s/60s indicating that government aerospace corporations were close to mastering antigravity then in the late 60s it just went dark. This coincides with the suspected timeline of the creation of the fluxliner.

9. Dr Pais navy patents may be legit and we could be less than a decade away from extremely dense magnetically driven fusion that can take kilowatts of energy and turn it into gigawatts even terrawatts. The LPPFusion project has a focus fusion device and they've experimentally proven (and published in the top fusion journal) that magnetism can have large scalable effects on the rate of fusion in a plasma and their projects success is dependent on it. There is also the SAFIRE project that supposedly has a device that uses self organizing plasmas which generate hugely complex magnetic fields and their results that show a lot of fusion products being created on their anode while the device is running. It can also produce 6x more energy than is being put into it and they've got round 1 funding to build an initial proof of concept reactor expected to be completed this year or next. SAFIRE project could be totally full of shit since they're just a bunch of tinkerers messing with a device but they claim that third parties including the US Navy have validated some of their results.

Overall interesting times ahead and if this is all legit the next decade could see a massive transformation of humanity. The book isn't very long but it was well worth the read imo.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
This was really really neat. Thanks for posting. When I was in 2nd grade for a science fair we could do something sciency..or history.

I did my project on the Great Pyramid because it amazed me so much. Always love learning more about it.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users