The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Theories are just that, a theory. There is no evidence to support a theory. It’s just an idea based off currently collected evidence. Their evidence was simply ‘where’s all this missing mass?’ If they theorized ‘well there must be something else out there’ then we all know what that leads too. I really wish I could find this article, but basically because they found one intergalactic mass. It pretty much debunked any dark matter talk. They found missing mass. It’s as simple as that. And since our field of view on these things is so distant, and our current tech isn’t built to look for dust in between galaxies. Progress is slow to find it. We can’t use current methods of planet recognizing to identify middle of nowhere dust. We simply got lucky to discover it. And no to mention the obvious, but we simply do not know where the dust came from/how long its been there. Current ideas say that it should form into a mass. But that’s from near earth experiments. Where gravity can affect crap still. What’s it like literally thousands of light years in the middle of nowhere though?

Two major flaws with chuk’s thinking though. He’s making an assumption on how much energy it really takes to accelerate to lightspeed. A current theory is that a solar sail could eventually propel a craft to lightspeed. He’s making the assumption that if we are capable to accelerating to lightspeed speed, we don’t have anymore advanced tech than we do now.

Yes, right now we are totally incapable of getting to lightspeed. Our current understandings regarding energy production is not conductive to any sort of interstellar travel. One-hundred years ago, people would have never thought we could do what we are doing now. Micro-controlling electricity for computers. In another 100 years, they will have energy standards that will just blow your mind. To say we don’t have the energy on earth is a shallow, depressed line of thinking. You and chuk are both so shut in on the idea that we won’t advance our tech it’s hilarious.
eventually? eh good luck with that sail. you still need propulsion. and i am not shut in on tech, though we are still using tech from over a hundred years ago to travel on earth and into space. even electric cars have been around for 140 years. we need a modern einstein to point us in a new direction, because right now all we're doing is improving shit thats old.

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
eventually? eh good luck with that sail. you still need propulsion. and i am not shut in on tech, though we are still using tech from over a hundred years ago to travel on earth and into space. even electric cars have been around for 140 years. we need a modern einstein to point us in a new direction, because right now all we're doing is improving shit thats old.

They are working on it. Wouldn’t it make sense to improve what we have now before we just throw everything at developing light speed tech? We’ve been improving electrical tech for 5000 years. You think there isn’t vast improvements made?

I believe you’re far to dismissive of change and of truly how fast we’ve been changing. Galactic age compared, we’re improving fast. In 1000 years we’ve learned how to transport goods across the globe in less than a day. It used to take months for the same journey. One-hundred years, or 1000 years. What length of time is needed for you to say with plausibility that we could achieve a near light speed travel craft?

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They are working on it. Wouldn’t it make sense to improve what we have now before we just throw everything at developing light speed tech? We’ve been improving electrical tech for 5000 years. You think there isn’t vast improvements made?

I believe you’re far to dismissive of change and of truly how fast we’ve been changing. Galactic age compared, we’re improving fast. In 1000 years we’ve learned how to transport goods across the globe in less than a day. It used to take months for the same journey. One-hundred years, or 1000 years. What length of time is needed for you to say with plausibility that we could achieve a near light speed travel craft?
with what we have now? never. i am not dismissing change, i am saying we are just polishing hundred year old turds. we need something new to change the game.

• 2Solidarity

H.A. Monkey

with what we have now? never. i am not dismissing change, i am saying we are just polishing hundred year old turds. we need something new to change the game.

I think you’ve entered into the realm of intentionally misreading people’s posts just so you can argue.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
what i would like to see in my lifetime. this is what i am reasonably willing to expect. regular manned flights to the Moon, Mars and maybe unmanned exploration of some of Jupiter's moons. of course what i would very much like to live to see is manned exploration to all the planets in our solar system even Pluto, i dont care what that handsy jogger says. its a fuckin planet.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
what i would like to see in my lifetime. this is what i am reasonably willing to expect. regular manned flights to the Moon, Mars and maybe unmanned exploration of some of Jupiter's moons. of course what i would very much like to live to see is manned exploration to all the planets in our solar system even Pluto, i dont care what that handsy jogger says. its a fuckin planet.
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

H.A. Monkey

i'm just being honest. i'm not tryin to piss you off. maybe in a few hundred years we will have some answers to these questions.

Wow. You really are stupid.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Void Void Ok Debbie Downer. Let’s play your game. If we seriously are the only advanced species here, then how long would it be before we have the tech to perform such tasks? Our current level of fiber optic/quantum computing is 40 years old. With our only real advances happening in the last 5 years for the quantum computing side. That realistically puts us in the possibility of having a better understanding of intergalactic travel. But if I were to believe you, there is absolutely zero possibility of interplanetary contact.

That would mean life is meaningless. That we shouldn’t try and advance our society anymore. That all we should do is fuck. Doesn’t that sound depressing? Are you depressed?
Since I rarely look at the board over evenings and weekends, I am just now catching up with everything you've typed, and I think you're the one that is misunderstanding what other people are posting.

If interstellar life can't ever be found/contacted, why does that result in life being meaningless? Is that what you base the entire existence of the human race on, being able to meet others? Even if we are the only intelligent species in the entire universe, that doesn't mean we should simply give up and stop trying to reach every corner of the galaxy. There are countless reasons for doing so beyond contact. Why do you hinge everything upon that??

All I fucking said, essentially, was that people that claim there are aliens visiting our planet RIGHT NOW (or in the recent couple millennia of recognized history) need to realize just how fucking unlikely that is. That's it. I never said that we won't eventually get to the point where we can do it. I never said that aliens might not already have that technology. I just said that it is REALLY fucking unlikely, and yet millions of people seem to think it is no big deal. It is a VERY big deal to discover, let alone actually visit, another intelligent species in another part of the universe. But "you guys" (I'm not going to go back and see if you actually stated it or not, but you're arguing their side, so close enough) act as if that is the most likely explanation for all these unknowns in the sky. All I did was attempt to give a little perspective on just how unlikely that being true really is.

But you're entitled to think that something that is harder to do than finding my one grain of sand is the most likely explanation for all these sightings and videos, so have at it I guess. Fuck, if I could snap my fingers and we suddenly had the ability to travel at 1000c, how long do you think it would be before we found another civilization? Remember, I said each grain of sand is an entire fucking GALAXY. Even at those speeds, how long would it take you to just search the Milky Way? Even if I suddenly give you super-duper scanning abilities too, probably a little while, right? Ok, that's 1 down! Only trillions more to go! Let me know when you're done.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Since I rarely look at the board over evenings and weekends, I am just now catching up with everything you've typed, and I think you're the one that is misunderstanding what other people are posting.

If interstellar life can't ever be found/contacted, why does that result in life being meaningless? Is that what you base the entire existence of the human race on, being able to meet others? Even if we are the only intelligent species in the entire universe, that doesn't mean we should simply give up and stop trying to reach every corner of the galaxy. There are countless reasons for doing so beyond contact. Why do you hinge everything upon that??

All I fucking said, essentially, was that people that claim there are aliens visiting our planet RIGHT NOW (or in the recent couple millennia of recognized history) need to realize just how fucking unlikely that is. That's it. I never said that we won't eventually get to the point where we can do it. I never said that aliens might not already have that technology. I just said that it is REALLY fucking unlikely, and yet millions of people seem to think it is no big deal. It is a VERY big deal to discover, let alone actually visit, another intelligent species in another part of the universe. But "you guys" (I'm not going to go back and see if you actually stated it or not, but you're arguing their side, so close enough) act as if that is the most likely explanation for all these unknowns in the sky. All I did was attempt to give a little perspective on just how unlikely that being true really is.

But you're entitled to think that something that is harder to do than finding my one grain of sand is the most likely explanation for all these sightings and videos, so have at it I guess. Fuck, if I could snap my fingers and we suddenly had the ability to travel at 1000c, how long do you think it would be before we found another civilization? Remember, I said each grain of sand is an entire fucking GALAXY. Even at those speeds, how long would it take you to just search the Milky Way? Even if I suddenly give you super-duper scanning abilities too, probably a little while, right? Ok, that's 1 down! Only trillions more to go! Let me know when you're done.
The old "you need to realize" schtick. That's the "get off my lawn" speech!
You need more of this in your life.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The old "you need to realize" schtick. That's the "get off my lawn" speech!
You need more of this in your life.
Yeah, I should probably just post one off sentences with absolute confidence that I'm right, and anyone that disagrees is just a grumpy old man.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Like

H.A. Monkey

So on one hand, you believe that humans could eventually start exploring the universe and finding life. And on the other hand, you’re saying that it’s impossible for other life to have already done so?

And no, I’m not saying life is meaningless. That’s the vibe I get off your posts. You’re the one implying life is meaningless. I’m implying that based off of imperial evidence, it is wholly possible that due to our age in the universe we aren’t the first creatures to obtain space travel. There are entire galaxies that have formed and flourished, that no longer exit. At which point do you draw the line for your refusal to accept what is and isn’t possible?

I see yours, and Chuk’s hypocrisy on the forefront here. We cannot mysteriously make a 100,000x leap in energy efficiency overnight. It takes time. We cannot blindly accept things as evidence just because someone says so like you want to do. Are you seriously that damaged in the head that “we can’t do it, therefore no one else can do it” is evidence?

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So on one hand, you believe that humans could eventually start exploring the universe and finding life. And on the other hand, you’re saying that it’s impossible for other life to have already done so?

And no, I’m not saying life is meaningless. That’s the vibe I get off your posts. You’re the one implying life is meaningless. I’m implying that based off of imperial evidence, it is wholly possible that due to our age in the universe we aren’t the first creatures to obtain space travel. There are entire galaxies that have formed and flourished, that no longer exit. At which point do you draw the line for your refusal to accept what is and isn’t possible?

I see yours, and Chuk’s hypocrisy on the forefront here. We cannot mysteriously make a 100,000x leap in energy efficiency overnight. It takes time. We cannot blindly accept things as evidence just because someone says so like you want to do. Are you seriously that damaged in the head that “we can’t do it, therefore no one else can do it” is evidence?
how about this, stop insulting people and prove your point. because you make yourself look foolish by not even providing a counterargument.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
it was a planet for a hundred years , one dude comes along and says, "nuh uh", isnt going to make a difference to me.

He's making an argument of taxonomy. Which is fine, and his argument is right and reasonable within that context.

But fuck him. What kind of space lawyer does he think he is. It's the exception which the history books can use as an object lesson for why it became standardized.

I put his pluto argument slightly above, but only slightly, the argument for using BCE instead of BC. Sorry, you don't get to make your name this way.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He's making an argument of taxonomy. Which is fine, and his argument is right and reasonable within that context.

But fuck him. What kind of space lawyer does he think he is. It's the exception which the history books can use as an object lesson for why it became standardized.

I put his pluto argument slightly above, but only slightly, the argument for using BCE instead of BC. Sorry, you don't get to make your name this way.
oh please dont get me started on that. when i first saw BCE i thought it was something like Before Christ Emerged and then i realize it was just a bunch of butthurt atheists wanting to remove a reference that the entire world has known for 2000 years because it mentions a religious figure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user