Antlers (2020)

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Antlers (2020)

Tagline: Pray it desires not you.

Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Thriller

Director: Scott Cooper

Cast: Keri Russell, Jesse Plemons, Jeremy Thomas, Graham Greene, Scott Haze, Rory Cochrane, Amy Madigan, Cody Davis, Sawyer Jones, Arlo Hajdu, Glynis Davies, Dorian Kingi, Andy Thompson, Jesse Downs, Dendrie Taylor, Emily Delahunty

Release: 2020-03-20

Plot: A young teacher discovers that her troubled student's father and younger brother harbor a deadly supernatural secret. Taking the boy into her care, the teacher must fight for their survival against horrors beyond imagination.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Looks like it might be a wendigo monster movie. Might be worth a matinee.

Red Band trailer:

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Has there always been a creepy kid in a ton of these movies? Am I just bothered by this now because I have a son in and around this age? I can't watch these movies anymore because my empathy and experience makes it uncomfortable.

I mean, it looks good. 25 year old me would have totally watched it. And probably loved it.

I guess I just answered my own question.

The last horror movie I really enjoyed was The Ritual. Same mood and themes it seems. But no goddamn kids.

I admit to having enjoyed "Let Me in". And even "Let the Right One In". But I think they crossed the line into "old enough kids to not trigger my empathy". Dunno.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rime

<Donor>
Creepy Kids in horror/suspense movies have always been a thing. Village of the Damned, Children of the Corn, The Omen, etc.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
What happened to Jesse Plemons????? I noticed this in the Irishman too, he has gained a ton of weight. He was a handsome dude in Friday Night Lights and does NOT wear extra weight well I see. One of those guys where too much fat goes to his face and alters everything.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why are you fat shaming Meth Damon? Eaters gotta eat.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
He was a handsome dude in Friday Night Lights

external-content.duckduckgo.com.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Creepy Kids in horror/suspense movies have always been a thing. Village of the Damned, Children of the Corn, The Omen, etc.

Yeah, you are totally right, but the 80s stuff was, I dunno, less grimdark or less gritty-real or something. Can't put my finger on it.

To this day the most disturbing scene i have ever, erm, seen was the crying toddler left alone on the beach with the tide coming in, after the mom got caught in the undertow and the dad jumped in to save her and did the same. WIth ScarJo the alien watching impassively and walking away. I KNOW why the scene was there, to show her emotionless, alien, impassivity, but GAH it gnaws at my guts so bad.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Yeah, you are totally right, but the 80s stuff was, I dunno, less grimdark or less gritty-real or something. Can't put my finger on it.

To this day the most disturbing scene i have ever, erm, seen was the crying toddler left alone on the beach with the tide coming in, after the mom got caught in the undertow and the dad jumped in to save her and did the same. WIth ScarJo the alien watching impassively and walking away. I KNOW why the scene was there, to show her emotionless, alien, impassivity, but GAH it gnaws at my guts so bad.

Fuck thats bizarre. I've yet to watch Under the Skin. Maybe it's time!

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Under the Skin is a great movie.

It reminded me a ton of the sci-fi horror movies of the 70s/80s that used to be on TV on Sunday mornings and afternoons and used to scare the bejeezus out of me. It had the same air about it, the same creeping dread with not a ton of special effects. The ending scene in the woods especially. But that beach scene means either I never watch it again or know to skip it - I haven't braved it again. Also, I note I didn't even put the movie title in there but you guys got it immediately haha.

The movie in question here is NOT that movie from the 80s, but very much a horror movie from today. I WANT to see it, but not sure. Not a big fan of Felicity over here either.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'll add another voice to under the skin being worth a watch. It's very slow and weird, and the type of movie you want to watch when you're in a mood you can really absorb unnerving things.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
The kid on beach scene was sad, but I thought the creepier scene was

When that dude followed her until he was underwater in that suspended space and looked around him to see the already partially digested dude who looks helplessly at him then collapses into a hollowness when they touch hands trying to help/comfort one another.

Also, fun fact about that movie. A LOT of the scenes in the movie were not scripted, those were just ordinary people she rolled up on in her van and interacted with.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The kid on beach scene was sad, but I thought the creepier scene was

When that dude followed her until he was underwater in that suspended space and looked around him to see the already partially digested dude who looks helplessly at him then collapses into a hollowness when they touch hands trying to help/comfort one another.

Also, fun fact about that movie. A LOT of the scenes in the movie were not scripted, those were just ordinary people she rolled up on in her van and interacted with.

True. That is the second scene I think of when the movie comes up. And that was a very real boner that guy had walking into the scary water. I respond the same to ScarJo. The movie is so weird and yet so interesting in spite of said boner lol.

Sorry, I am the reason this thread was derailed. ANTLERS, - DISCUSS.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I grew up in Oklahoma so we got a healthy dose of Native American history and folklore. I have wanted any serious director to pick up a few of their terrifying legends and make them horror movies for a long time. This is acceptable until that time comes!

• 3Like

Rime

<Donor>
I grew up in Oklahoma so we got a healthy dose of Native American history and folklore. I have wanted any serious director to pick up a few of their terrifying legends and make them horror movies for a long time. This is acceptable until that time comes!

Give me a proper yee naaldlooshii/skinwalker story, slow build, terrifying.

Closest I have found is 'Head Count' on Netflix. It is pretty much that, but they give it a made up name/some characteristics.

• 3Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

On this same subject, how come there is not ONE SINGLE movie about the conquest of Mexico complete with all the human sacrifice the Aztecs did on captured Spaniards etc? So many fantasy movies made , yet there is a IRL story to be told about a entire culture that worshiped demons and practiced some of the bloodiest human/child sacrifice in history. perplexed. Yes there was Apocalyptico but they only showed 20 mins of city-state temple stuff, and it was not even Aztecs.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Ok, I didn't see that the second trailer was a different one and I just watched it.

She mentions NA right off the bat and the chanting later on says Wendigo. That makes this an opening night movie for me.

The Director, Scott Cooper, also directed Black Mass (Whitey Bulger story, very awesome) and Hostiles (decent U.S./NA story set in late 1800s) so he has some good stuff under his belt.

Also, I am slightly turned off by the fact that it Del Toro's name is attached because even though he is attached to some pretty creepy and weird movies they usually end up getting hokey and fanciful instead of playing straight. I say slightly because both trailers look intense and I have no idea how it could turn into anything less than a dark horror ending.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Hostiles is one of those that I wanted to see at the time but just fell off my radar. Will have to check it out.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
What happened to Jesse Plemons????? I noticed this in the Irishman too, he has gained a ton of weight. He was a handsome dude in Friday Night Lights and does NOT wear extra weight well I see. One of those guys where too much fat goes to his face and alters everything.

He is channeling his inner Brian Dennehy (who is still alive and still working!) and I think he looks the part. Am I crazy here, or does someone else see it too? :

sheriff.jpg

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database