Any Windows experts?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Situation: 7 computers, all running Windows 10. Each user will have an Office 365 account for email, apps, etc.

Desire: Any user can log into any computer and access their same desktop at any of the computers. The user would login and that login is tied to their Office 365 account so as soon as they are logged in, they could click on Outlook and it's already logged in to their appropriate account. Users can have their office apps already installed and use them as needed. All users would have access to a network drive.

Question: How do you tie windows logins to their Office 365 account?

Question: How does the user get their same desktop across any computer on the network? Ie, if they downloaded file.txt onto their desktop, it would always show up on their desktop on any of the 7 computers.

Question: The downloadable apps (Word, Excel, etc) fromo 365 allow you to install on 5 computers. How does that work with 7 computers in the office?

Question: How would I setup a shared drive for the network?

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Question: How does the user get their same desktop across any computer on the network? Ie, if they downloaded file.txt onto their desktop, it would always show up on their desktop on any of the 7 computers.

We did this once at an airline for all the shared computers between dispatchers. You would need to be on a domain and using roaming profiles with an office license for each computer. The profile will store on a network location specified and any computer they log into will download the profile. To keep the profiles small they should use network storage for documents, outlook PSTs, etc. The only other way I could think of would be to have each computer setup individually but you can redirect where your profile folders point to. Like if you go to C:\users\aychamo\ you can right click the desktop folder (location tab) and point it to a network location which has to be available at time of login.

Question: The downloadable apps (Word, Excel, etc) fromo 365 allow you to install on 5 computers. How does that work with 7 computers in the office?

I would imagine you'll need 2 more licenses.

Question: How would I setup a shared drive for the network?

Open Windows Explorer > This PC > Map Network Drive option at the top. However, for the profiles to roam, a mapped drive wouldn't work since it maps after the user logs in. You would need a network path like \\server\profiles\%username%. You can also create short cuts to these paths if needed.

The biggest issue is having large profiles roam around the network. If Bob downloads a bunch of software setups to put his favorite software on the computer then those files will have to be downloaded across the network each time. You should have shortcuts for the users or mapped drives for them to put random files and train them to put stuff on those network shortcuts as opposed to their profile folders which now roam.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user