Archive 81

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 4 Votes
Title: Archive 81

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2022-01-14

Creator: Rebecca Sonnenshine

Cast: Mamoudou Athie, Dina Shihabi, Evan Jonigkeit, Martin Donovan, Matt McGorry, Julia Chan, Ariana Neal

Overview: An archivist takes a job restoring damaged videotapes and gets pulled into the vortex of a mystery involving the missing director and a demonic cult.

LiquidDeath

Attention all H.P. Lovecraft fans, this show is for you.

I'm halfway done with this series, and it is just fucking fantastic. It is a very slow burn. Weird, eerie, mysterious. It feels like a Lovecraft story but written from a modern perspective. The camera work is great, the sound work is great. Honestly, I'm going to be severely disappointed if they fuck up the end. And by that, I mean that they stray from what is working half way through. I can honestly care less exactly how it ends as long as it remains Lovecraftian and true to tone.

TLDR: half way through this is a must watch for any Lovecraft fans.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Enjoying this after a few episodes and I'm not trying to figure it out, sometimes shows like this can be tough to stick the landing but been a good watch so far.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Intrigued about this one. I need something to wash the taste of Lovecraft Country out of my mouth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Heard only good things about it. Horror buff friend binged the entire thing without checking the trends on popularity. Afterward said he's not surprised about the high rating.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, started this this morning. very slow burn. Very intriguing.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Again, halfway through, but I can't get over how decidedly Lovecraft this feels. So much of the show is just mundane, normal stuff that all the sudden, inexplicably, becomes not mundane for no apparent reason. And the way this is shown is through odd camera work, lighting changes, or subtle shifts in background scenery or music. It wholely encompasses the Lovecraftian idea that all of the otherworldly, fantastic, and horrible things that are barely imaginable lie just a hair outside the normal scope and rhythm of the world; how even the slightest alteration can reveal the inescapable cosmic infinity.

• 3Like

Caliane

Im not certain I would say that really. there is suspence, intrigue, and mystery. lies.. cults, super suspect secret company, etc. so far nothing overt at all.

yes. true detective s1 does come to mind. so yeah, that almost noir investigation into something wrong feeling is there for sure. but I wouldn't really describe every investigation into x uncovering a cult as Lovecraftian.

I suppose the main guy losing himself in time, etc, certainly fits.

LiquidDeath

I'm genuinely surprised that the whole thing doesn't feel very "thin veil between reality and other worldliness" to you, the ultimate Lovecraft staple. I certainly get that impression, especially with the unreliable narrator aspect of him not knowing if things are really happening, if he is dreaming, or if his dreams are affecting reality.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, I feel like I was trying so hard to say this is just occult, ghost story, time bending/physics, demonic, dreaming, witchcraft, etc, etc... but, all those things don't make it Lovecraftian... to just say, ok. Lovecraftian applies just fine. and is probably more that then most other things.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Watched it all over last few days. It was alright, the main dude felt like Black Adam Driver, which isn't a bad thing. The CEO dude is pretty good too. Some of the Visser people are kind of cheesey, but I suppose they're supposed to be. I'd probably watch a season 2, but I don't think it'd be anything I'd be marking my calendar for.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Again, halfway through, but I can't get over how decidedly Lovecraft this feels. So much of the show is just mundane, normal stuff that all the sudden, inexplicably, becomes not mundane for no apparent reason. And the way this is shown is through odd camera work, lighting changes, or subtle shifts in background scenery or music. It wholely encompasses the Lovecraftian idea that all of the otherworldly, fantastic, and horrible things that are barely imaginable lie just a hair outside the normal scope and rhythm of the world; how even the slightest alteration can reveal the inescapable cosmic infinity.
I just started watching this because of your comment and yup I’m getting the Lovecraftian vibe too.

So far I’m getting into it, but I’m not liking any of the characters. I’m not sure if it’s the writing or acting, but I’m already rooting for a cosmic horror to drag all of these people into another dimension.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

I just started watching this because of your comment and yup I’m getting the Lovecraftian vibe too.

So far I’m getting into it, but I’m not liking any of the characters. I’m not sure if it’s the writing or acting, but I’m already rooting for a cosmic horror to drag all of these people into another dimension.
Just wait. I'm through 6 episodes now and it only gets more Lovecraftian as it goes. Here's hoping the last 2 episodes hold the line.

• 3Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Episode 5 and I'm really digging this, but final decision may come down to how they end it.

I've even settled into appreciating the characters.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

I finished last night. For me, the ending was unexpected and more abrupt then I was expecting. I think I appreciate it, but I haven't had time to fully think it over. I really wish we'd get more series in this vein, though. I definitely think it is one of the best modern Lovecraft adaptations.

• 2Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ok this is what Lovecraft Country should've been. Probably not for everyone, but it's a genre that hits me right in the nostalgia.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was excellent. It had a few slow moments in episodes 6/7 but the ending was well done. We need more stuff like this. At times it felt like it was just a longer episode of Black Mirror.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So this is really good. But I am unclear why Melody decided to research the Visser apartments in the first place.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database