" Are you afraid? What is it you fear?" System Shock 2 now for sale on GOG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Does it work with Win7? I have the disc still, but it doesn't work worth a shit.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Does it work with Win7? I have the disc still, but it doesn't work worth a shit.
confused.png

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Supposedly they released an update that helps it work with Win 7.

The one from gog.com definitely does.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The patch in the link I posted above seems to work like a charm. Without it, the game just freezes when I start a new game, without screwing around with compatibility modes. With it there's a whole slew of new resolution options, right up to 1920x1200 (and I would assume higher if you monitor supports it) and the game starts fine. I didn't bother playing it, but by all appearances it works now.

This is with an EA Classics CD-ROM version.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Does the patch Eomer posted work with the GOG version? Or does the GOG version have all that already in it?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
GOG implements the fixes to make their games work on a modern OS. So you shouldn't have to do anything to make the GOG version work.

I'm not sure about Eomer's patch, but the problem with the game isn't the modern OS; it is that it shits itself on multi-core processors. The quickie fix is the same as the EQ fix: force it to run on a single core. I'm sure a quick Google search will turn up an article on it.

Regardless of the outdated graphics, the game still completely terrifies me. It was light years ahead of it's time when it released. You really feel like you are the hapless chump holding a crowbar to fight off a horde of bloodthirsty creations on a stranded spaceship. The audio design and the way they developed the atmosphere of complete isolation are uncanny and better than most any AAA title today.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
If i remember right it is pretty long by todays standards. 15-20 hours maybe? Its been a long time since i have played it. Still one of my favorite games of all time though!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Hell yes. This game was amazing. I haven't played it for years, but it stood out way above the rest.