Artificial Intelligence and the Technological Singularity

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Do you believe in the singularity? If so, when do you believe it will occur?

My guess is 2057.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Silver Donator>
29d 21h 59m
Because Tyen found out that the baby isn't his and his army of bots have come for keg to seek vengeance.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Until a AI figures out emotion they will never reach singulairty.
doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to program. also, why would understanding be a requirement for recursive self improvement?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Silver Donator>
29d 21h 59m
I don't think emotions are a prerequisite for either true AI or singularity. Abstract thought certainly is, though. Some of those deep thought images kind of hint at that coming soon.

Siddar

Vyemm Raider
28d 20h 32m
doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to program. also, why would understanding be a requirement for recursive self improvement?
To program it you would have to understand it. At this point in time humans don't understand the topic enough to create a AI with that ability. We can create AI that can read emotion and but not ones capable of actually feeling them.

The idea of a non emotional AI becoming sentient is wideespread but my view is sentience actually requires the emotional part first before any intelligence can be used.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Bronze Donator>
36d 14h 4m
Because there is no reason for action without emotion. There is no true self awareness without emotion.
Alright well, fair enough.

I completely disagree, but don't feel like arguing about it enough to bother.

Siddar

Vyemm Raider
28d 20h 32m
Alright well, fair enough.

I completely disagree, but don't feel like arguing about it enough to bother.
Well would you see singularity coming from a super smart above human level intelligence AI or a from a more animal level AI?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Bronze Donator>
36d 14h 4m
Well would you see singularity coming from a super smart above human level intelligence AI or a from a more animal level AI?
Singularity doesn't have to indicate, specifically, AI. It can indicate integration of mankind with electronics as well. Cyborg mind and all that.