Ashen for xbox

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So I bought it. It's Dark Souls like so I had to.

Graphically it's great. And the first game where there seems to be a really big difference between 1080p and 4k textures. World looked washed out in 1080. Everything is sharper, even the colors in 4k, so if you have that option, use it.

That said, just autoquit. I didn't realize that online was a seamless thing. Suddenly my NPC started doing it's own thing, finding things, saw pickup animaions (didn't loot items in my game though). Started taking out enemies with dodging and close to perfect movement. For a second I pondered if the AI was just really good until it ran into a camp site and proceeded to try to hit every pot that was there. So quit out. I want to explore every little spot there is and not have my companion go off in their own direction.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I bought it. It's Dark Souls like so I had to.

Graphically it's great. And the first game where there seems to be a really big difference between 1080p and 4k textures. World looked washed out in 1080. Everything is sharper, even the colors in 4k, so if you have that option, use it.

That said, just autoquit. I didn't realize that online was a seamless thing. Suddenly my NPC started doing it's own thing, finding things, saw pickup animaions (didn't loot items in my game though). Started taking out enemies with dodging and close to perfect movement. For a second I pondered if the AI was just really good until it ran into a camp site and proceeded to try to hit every pot that was there. So quit out. I want to explore every little spot there is and not have my companion go off in their own direction.
If you took maybe 10 seconds to look in the Multiplayer settings you would have seen that you can disable MP completely, and even disable the AI companion to play solo if you want.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
If you took maybe 10 seconds to look in the Multiplayer settings you would have seen that you can disable MP completely, and even disable the AI companion to play solo if you want.

I did that after :) Was just surprised it happened at all. Didn't know that was how it worked. Didn't read up on the game at all, just saw it for a few minutes on a stream. Wasn't sure if I could do it while I had someone in my party.

Is there a way to equip NPCs though? Or do they just use whatever weapon they feel like? When I started the game after the NPC had been a player, it was using a 2h axe, then I went back to town and completed a quest and then it went back to the 1h weapon. Couldn't find a menu to change it. Seen it use several different 1hs and a 2h axe and 2h hammer. Sometimes will switch weapons in combat too, but it seems to be random and not "oh this enemy should be stunlocked, so let me switch to 1h".

I really enjoy the game. Music and atmosphere is great so far. Combat is not as "tight" as the souls games, but still very responsive. Died quite a few times, but most were in that grotto with the shadow wraith things. If they hit me I die, but they also give 500 shards a pop, so killed a few of them to upgrade my flask.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got ya. The AI companions will get upgraded "stats" as you progress their storylines, and they will also change appearance over time. It seems that their weapon will be equal too or a little better than what you are using at the time they join you. They will switch to 1h + Lantern if they need too, but otherwise will stick with what they had. You can pick which AI you want by having their quest be active at the time you head out into the world (this works about 90% of the time).

The Grotto you went too is an endgame area, though you can clear it out before being sent there on purpose. The game starts off pretty slow, with the first two bosses being easy, but difficulty ramps up from third boss onward. You will eventually be able to craft Potions, and I suggest stocking up on the "Dwale" potion once you can make them. Their description is a bit funky, but it is simply "don't use a Lantern" and you'll get the 50% dmg reduction for 2m, it is really good.

Pay attention to the stats on the gear you get. I've seen a lot of people think that the # for stun resist is the "defense" number, when it is not. Look at the Dmg Reduction and the Stamina penalty, the armor with the highest stun resist has a +70% stamina cost (sucks bad), and only 30% dmg reduction... that armor is a trap. You'll get access to a Talisman named "Robust" which reduces all stamina penalties from gear by 25%... this is super good. There is also 1 armor (the only one) which gives you +10% stamina regeneration, instead of a penalty, but as you can expect its kinda squishy. Explore everywhere.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Pay attention to the stats on the gear you get. I've seen a lot of people think that the # for stun resist is the "defense" number, when it is not. Look at the Dmg Reduction and the Stamina penalty, the armor with the highest stun resist has a +70% stamina cost (sucks bad), and only 30% dmg reduction... that armor is a trap. You'll get access to a Talisman named "Robust" which reduces all stamina penalties from gear by 25%... this is super good. There is also 1 armor (the only one) which gives you +10% stamina regeneration, instead of a penalty, but as you can expect its kinda squishy. Explore everywhere.

Great info. Thanks. Stamina does seem to be an issue, so will keep an eye out of those things. So far only found one upgrade to armor.

Is there a stash? I just dropped most of my inventory on the ground after I picked two weapons and upgraded those. Wish it was like Dark Souls where I can hold everything. So far I am going with 1h axe for crit chance (20%) and a 2h axe with the same. I've only killed one boss so far.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great info. Thanks. Stamina does seem to be an issue, so will keep an eye out of those things. So far only found one upgrade to armor.

Is there a stash? I just dropped most of my inventory on the ground after I picked two weapons and upgraded those. Wish it was like Dark Souls where I can hold everything. So far I am going with 1h axe for crit chance (20%) and a 2h axe with the same. I've only killed one boss so far.
Yea, you get a stash as you progress the main Story, you should get it soon. Keep your weapons until you get the Stash, since afaik they are all 1 time drops, same with armor. Then again, don't stress about missing a weapon, they are all capable of getting you through the game. It just comes down to finding a weapon that has a moveset you like, so try them all out. Some of the weapons have Light/Heavy combo attacks you can do, while some do not. You'll be getting a really nice 2h axe soon, it has a fast light attack. Oh, when looking at weapons, you'll see 2 dmg numbers. At first I thought this was its dmg range, but instead they are for Light and Heavy attacks.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Love the souls / bloodborne series, should I pick this up automatically? Looking for something to hold me overtil Sekiro /crossing my fingers for a BB sequel.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Love the souls / bloodborne series, should I pick this up automatically? Looking for something to hold me overtil Sekiro /crossing my fingers for a BB sequel.
If you're on Xbox with gamepass, then 100% yes. If you're on PC, check out some gameplay vids (that don't spoil much, if anything). I enjoyed my run through and have no regrets, but people who live dark souls (as in play it over and over) might think the game is a bit weak.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Started this over the weekend and it is some great co-op gameplay. Even though joining is a little janky.