Asheron's Call 1 & 2 F2P, player-run servers

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
AC1 had shit graphics and a world that was too bland and weird. I just think it wasn't appealing enough on the surface. It was great once you got down into mechanics and actually exploring stuff. Most people (myself included) didn't give it enough of a chance based on surface appearance.

Why would I play one of three shades of humans and fight weird bug creatures when I could make a badass troll shadowknight in EQ and slay dragons?

It’s tricky. Everyone complains about things being cookie cutter but if you go too far from the standard fantasy tropes it doesn’t usually gel for people.

My buddy was huge into AC and I remember him telling all the cool stuff like leveling skills and learning spells etc and it sounded great. But then I played it and felt almost exactly the way you do.

I also remember hanging out with him for an evening and watching him play and he would run forever just to explore and he’d come across something but it always seemed so generic. Like a big fort with some things in it but no character. It was weird.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I also remember a lot of the PVPers from UO Baja Server LoD, LotD, JoV all raved about Darktide and that AC was the king of PVP.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I definitely played more EQ than I did AC back in the day. I don't even remember what caused me to play AC honestly. Maybe a break from EQ? And since the EQ TLPs of more recent times, I've for sure played a shit ton more EQ than any other game.

This has been a fun side thing, and bonus that my wife got back into it as well as AC was her #1 game.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
2 week Nostalgia Anniversary!!

Up to 177 on my Missile character (No longer seperate skills, it's all groups now. Missile = Xbow, Bow, Throwing, Finesse Weapons, Heavy Weapons, etc) 140 on my 2 hander. Have a Void mage and War Mage sub-20 that I'm getting up and will let them start leeching soon. Leech a week, and Viola! you have a toon ready to go.

As for the exploring part that someone above was talking about. Slowly but surely starting to get back into the nitty gritty of the game, which I think made it so good. Figuring out quests, stats, exploring old areas, and in general just having a good time with the Monarchy.

Anyone wants to re-live some nostalgia just let me know. Can get you any kind of character boosted up quick!