Atheism vs. Theism

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Donors Crew>
19d 4h 19m
Current best explanation is because of tool use and fire offloading work from the jaw .
Yes, the reason jaw size decreased and brain size is increased during our lineage's evolution is because higher quality foods which have been processed via cooking make more amino acids and fatty acids available during digestion, which helped increase cranium/brain size, while reducing the need for large jaws and huge intestinal tracts to grind up and breakdown/absorb dense plant materials such as root and tubers.

Scoresby

Lord Nagafen Raider
19d 57m
2.6 million years is roughly 100,000 generations assuming a lifespan of about 25 years. We've seen a branch of wolves evolve into modern dogs in about 10,000 years which is only about 700 generations.
And to put that in perspective, there are also species like the Coelacanth that have been unchanged for hundreds of millions of years. It's important to understand that it's hard to put a time-scale on when to expect evolution to happen. It takes a significant time (compared to a human life), but can have truly extreme times in some instances.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Donor All-Stars>
21d 49m
And to put that in perspective, there are also species like the Coelacanth that have been unchanged for hundreds of millions of years.
If you're well adapted to an environment, and said environment does not change significantly, then there is little pressure to evolve. You get genetic drift, but it's comparable to the Drunkard's Walk. On average, you stay around where you started.

Reactions: Scoresby

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Donors Crew>
19d 4h 19m
If anyone is interested at all, there is a really fantastic new Youtube channel, Digital Hammurabi, run by two phDs who specialized in like Ancient Sumer and Assyrian languages and history that goes into a huge amount of depth of the written myths, history, legends, etc. that were eventually incorporated into the Abrahamic religions. They know Koine Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, Assyrian, etc. languages (seriously) they do textual analysis and criticism, and general education on the topics.

All this is super relevant to understanding how modern day religions formed over time.

pharmakos

bµɐʁwɐʞoƨ
<Donors Crew>
22d 13h 36m
If anyone is interested at all, there is a really fantastic new Youtube channel, Digital Hammurabi, run by two phDs who specialized in like Ancient Sumer and Assyrian languages and history that goes into a huge amount of depth of the written myths, history, legends, etc. that were eventually incorporated into the Abrahamic religions. They know Koine Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, Assyrian, etc. languages (seriously) they do textual analysis and criticism, and general education on the topics.

All this is super relevant to understanding how modern day religions formed over time.
They also put out written stuff, I assume? I can't stand digesting information at the slow pace of a YouTube video.

I loved my History of the Near East to Alexander class back in college, forget my professor's name but he was some some relatively successful archaeologist when he wasn't teaching, ran some dig sites over that way. The culture of the ancient Near East is really fascinating.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Donors Crew>
19d 4h 19m
I dunno if they put transcripts online, but they've both been published academically. They've gone through their credentials on their channel several times.

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
24d 6h 4m
This is a base attack against christmas!

Jesus died so I could eat delicious cookies shaped like a fat old man.

like wodan before me, I make a sacrifice of myself to myself and learn the seven charms.

• Worf
Reactions: wilkxus

Omi43221

Lord Nagafen Raider
12d 7h 39m
Mostly it's the legions of cultists that surround her.

I don't even hate rand that much. What I dislike about the work so much, I think, is that it is almost purely introspective but gets passed along as foundational social commentary. Which honestly it is not and I don't think it even was in the 40's. And if it is it is the most banal, insipid, observation. I've read far WORSE fiction. And it's not like it's ALL bad. Without the adulation of libertarians she'd be a very hearty, "Meh." from me.

I mean c'mon man, c'mon. Her hero is an architect. An architect.

To be fair all I ever read was that one. I didn't figure her others would be any better.

With Neitzsche they get it horribly, horribly, wrong. With Rand... well, it's actually pretty close to what she was saying. But again, it is not all bad. It's just.. well, it's been said before just a few pages back. It's propaganda more than anything else. Even if i agree with parts of it, it's still propaganda.

To be completely fair to her -- she was not alone in that tone. That generation of writers did do that. And I don't much like the other ones either. I guess that's part of the problem I have. It's a tonal problem, sort of. A generation gap. They're too close. People accused Doestyevsky of it too, i'm sure. And well the Tzar did almost hang him for it when he was young. But fuck if it affects my reading of him.
I just want to point out that Rand almost exactly predicts PC/ Feminist/SJW culture in her books. Far better than any other author did. There's a lot I dont agree with Rand but she did have some amazing insight. Most of her critics just flat don't understand her, that definitely included Hitchens as well.

Xadion

Trakanon Raider
29d 12h 56m
Libtards, SJWs and you atheists turned the forums snowflakes into shit.

Thanks Obama

AngryGerbil

Speech Mythologist
<Donors Crew>
I, an atheist, had a Muslim at my house tonight as we hosted a Christmas celebration with my wife's family.

What a world.

He is my sister-in-law's boyfriend. He drank wine, smoked a cigarette, and participated in the tree and presents stuff with grace and poise. He appears to be a cafeteria Muslim who has not actually read the Quran. Mostly Westernized by appearance although still has some more conservative duties to his family apparently.

This guy could become my brother-in-law so I need to figure him out. I think the Western Civ is going to win him over, as opposed to the Islamic Civ winning my sister-in-law over.

He drank wine tonight and she isn't wearing a veil no matter what. It's interesting to think, Western pussy might be the one thing we have that can beat Muhammad. Our pussy needs to be strong against Muhammad, but if it is, it can defeat him.

Anyway I did have a chance to talk to her tonight as an older protective brother type. She knows I read and she knows I have a Quran on my shelf. I gave her my 2 sentence book-report on it and told her I am only concerned because I love her and it's my job to look out for her. I encouraged her to read the Quran for herself and not with his permission or guidance but to do it on her own initiative. I doubt she will in actuality but she seemed receptive to the concept in any case which means she will listen to one who has, namely, me.

I wonder if I'll be telling crazy Islamic stories about this guy on here 10 years from now or if he's just another regular dude.

Vanessa, will you please ask Jesus to make this Muslim a nice Muslim? If I have to suffer one Arabian Scientologist in my family can it please just be a nice one?

Mario Speedwagon

Shitpost Plumber
<Moderation Tools>
24d 3h 59m
I, an atheist, had a Muslim at my house tonight as we hosted a Christmas celebration with my wife's family.

What a world.

He is my sister-in-law's boyfriend. He drank wine, smoked a cigarette, and participated in the tree and presents stuff with grace and poise. He appears to be a cafeteria Muslim who has not actually read the Quran. Mostly Westernized by appearance although still has some more conservative duties to his family apparently.

This guy could become my brother-in-law so I need to figure him out. I think the Western Civ is going to win him over, as opposed to the Islamic Civ winning my sister-in-law over.

He drank wine tonight and she isn't wearing a veil no matter what. It's interesting to think, Western pussy might be the one thing we have that can beat Muhammad. Our pussy needs to be strong against Muhammad, but if it is, it can defeat him.

Anyway I did have a chance to talk to her tonight as an older protective brother type. She knows I read and she knows I have a Quran on my shelf. I gave her my 2 sentence book-report on it and told her I am only concerned because I love her and it's my job to look out for her. I encouraged her to read the Quran for herself and not with his permission or guidance but to do it on her own initiative. I doubt she will in actuality but she seemed receptive to the concept in any case which means she will listen to one who has, namely, me.

I wonder if I'll be telling crazy Islamic stories about this guy on here 10 years from now or if he's just another regular dude.

Vanessa, will you please ask Jesus to make this Muslim a nice Muslim? If I have to suffer one Arabian Scientologist in my family can it please just be a nice one?
I'm sorry to have be the one to tell you this, but honor commands you bury your sister up to her neck and throw stones at her head until she is dead for race mixing.

Merry Christmas!

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
24d 6h 4m
It's probably better she doesn't read it. She might get it into her head to convert and be a good Muslim wife. And then there's not much you can do.

I've seen that once before after college. Before mooslim was a curse word. She wasn't even gross or stupid. There is something appealing about it, I guess. It's weird. I mean if you're looking for structure... you can't say it doesn't provide that.

Last edited:

maskedmelon

Knight of the Realm
47m
How we doin' pals?! Still warring delusions of the less fortunate and erecting our own triumphantly on the broken heap or have we moved on? ^^

• Cringe
Reactions: AngryGerbil