Audiobooks

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
How do you guys get your audiobooks? I tried Audible and it is easy, but seems too expensive for what you get. 1 book a month doesn't seem like much. I only typically buy 1-2 books a year in physical form. So I found a good tracker and downloaded a few, but the audio quality varies and there doesn't seem to be a player that is as good as audible's.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I get mine from a private torrent tracker. If there is ever a problem with the files or the audio quality someone in the comments section usually gives a heads up before I waste my time downloading. I move them to my phone and play them on an Android app called Smart Audiobook player, which works great.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koivu

Molten Core Raider
Seconding private tracker (anonamouse) and Smart Audiobook Player. It irritates me though that I have to transfer the files into phone first though, I'd give my left kidney if there was a similar solution as Plex for audiobooks so that I could stream shit directly from my server, but haven't been able to find one as robust as that. While Plex plays audio files a-ok, it won't remember where you left off the last time, which can be a problem when rippers have merged whole the audio book into one or two files only.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
IPT, Kickass, The bay of pirates...

Plex with audio books would be jesus, I am just happy my new car has USB input, so I just load up my stick.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the tips. Smart Audiobook Player is working great. I'm listening to Ready Player One, which isn't that great so far but i'm hoping it will pick up.

Haka

N00b
Anyone listened to the Guns, Germs and Steel audiobook? I read it years ago but I'm considering a re-read, but thought I might try the audiobook version this time as I can't find my copy.

Metabaron

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was wondering if anyone has listened to the audio book for "Blackjack: A Cross Novel" by Andrew Vachss? His writing, characters and philosophy is amazing and badass.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
I do Audible. James Marsters reading the Dresden Files is my current run. And 1 book a month is a little overkill for me, I have a standing credit pool of 5 right now, and I've only been a member for a year.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Random questions as I'm thinking about giving audiobooks a try since I have a 35ish minute drive to/from work every day, which means I could listen to a 6 hour book a week if I wanted to.

Do you guys have trouble keeping track of what's going on in audio books when doing things like driving? I feel like I'd have trouble focusing on the details

Is Audible really worth it? 1 book free and then 30% off is what it looks like? I mean I guess if you're going through a few it pays for itself. I was looking at Kindle Unlimited though, and that's just $10 a month and it seems like if the book has an audible version you generally get both (granted, you don't get to keep it forever, you just get it while you have unlimited, by how many books do you go back and read again?) Am I missing something here? Part of the reason Kindle Unlimited appeals to me is because I could seamlessly switch back and forth between audio and actually reading based on what is most convenient at the time.

Any other options out there worth considering?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I do Audible, I like it. 1 free per month plus buying credits is about 12 bucks a piece, not a bad price.

I don't think I have trouble with the details, but I'm not exactly getting technical manuals or anything on audio book. I do sometimes have to rewind a bit if I miss something or zone out for a sec.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
My concern is that I'll be prone to zoning out lol. I dunno, I'm going to give it a try I guess. I'm starting with Kindle Unlimited though. It looks like the series I just started reading is on there with audible narration as well.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Graphic Audio has a nice collection. I have a number of their books for long commutes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I do Audible, I like it. 1 free per month plus buying credits is about 12 bucks a piece, not a bad price.

I don't think I have trouble with the details, but I'm not exactly getting technical manuals or anything on audio book. I do sometimes have to rewind a bit if I miss something or zone out for a sec.
Yeah, same experience for me, i have to backtrack sometimes. It doesn't really bother me, just makes the story last a little longer, but the quality of books on Audible is pretty damn good.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Random questions as I'm thinking about giving audiobooks a try since I have a 35ish minute drive to/from work every day, which means I could listen to a 6 hour book a week if I wanted to.

Do you guys have trouble keeping track of what's going on in audio books when doing things like driving? I feel like I'd have trouble focusing on the details
I have no trouble focusing on audiobooks and driving, in fact I much prefer it over music. I feel it makes the drive go by much quicker.

I have about an hour commute each way for work, and if I just listened to music I think I would be terribly bored. As long as my mind doesn't wander off, I have no issues at all keeping track. Maybe if you are a terrible driver and really need to focus on the road.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I get mine from a private torrent tracker. If there is ever a problem with the files or the audio quality someone in the comments section usually gives a heads up before I waste my time downloading. I move them to my phone and play them on an Android app called Smart Audiobook player, which works great.

Being new to audiobooks I have a few questions. It seems a few of the audiobooks I've downloaded are in mp3 format, does this player acknowledge that file type or is it a certain file type only, like Audible?

I've discovered audiobooks are much better than music when hitting the treadmill. Keeps my mind from wandering.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I've used audible for quite awhile now. You can very frequently get credits and cash credits from them. Usually when you cancel (make sure you have no credits left), before it lets you you will get an offer to stay and get a $10 credit or something like that. You can accept that and then use the credit and still cancel.

Then a lot of the time there are "new member" promos that seem to work for anyone who doesn't have a current membership

Haven't had any problems with audible, though the iOS app can be finicky at times