Auto refinancing.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Hey guys, figured I would post here.

As some of you might know, I moved from South America to the states almost 2 years ago (and have had a SSN for a year and a half). I moved to LA and of course needed a car so I went to a dealership and had to pretty much sign up a crappy loan because I had no credit history whatsoever.

The loan was a 80 mo with 12.5% APR. Yes, you read right 12.5% APR.

So now I've worked on my credit for the past two years and according to my latest FICO score it's at 684. Not EXCELLENT but I could definitely get a better rate nowadays. I have 45 payments left so I have no plans to increase them to 80 again, it would be a 45/48 month thing.

Thoughts? recommendations? Should I just hit a credit union and inquire?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jebus. I heard rumors people paid interest rates that high but I've never met anyone who willingly did so. You say your rate was 12.5% with a 684 score? That seems a bit high for that score. I would have thought you needed to be in the 400's to get that kind of interest rate. Definitely hit up a credit union, your bank and then AFTER getting pre-approval numbers from those twoand deciding on a car THEN hit up the car dealership for their best competitive interest rate offer. Then when they come back with a marginally better offer go ahead and call up your bank/credit union right there on the spot and let them fight over who can give you the best deal.

Note* This is assuming you have already done the prerequisite and mandatory walk out at least once. Never. Ever. Ever buy a car without walking out of the dealership at least once. Preferably to go to another 2-3 dealerships with what they offered you and see who comes up with the better offer.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
No no, now I'm 684. A month after I landed in the states I had a fresh SSN with NO credit history at all so I really couldn't negotiate for a competitive APR or whatever.

Now I have something better 684 and looking to refinance (not finance for the first time). Can I just walk to ANY credit union even if I don't have an account with them? They'll definitely ask me to join of course but is it possible to just walk in and say I want to join and want a loan right away?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Depends really. Some credit unions are pretty strict on requirements to join, others are simply community CUs and will take anyone that lives or works locally. Google your area, easy enough info to find.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm more shocked that they are offering 80 month loans
When I was car shopping with the special lady friend, just about every fucking salesman would listen to "I want a used car around 10k" and would respond with "YEAH BUT YOU CAN WALK OUT OF HERE WITH A BRAND NEW CARif you finance for 84 months." It was pretty ridiculous. I'm glad that some in the industry are speaking out about it, because I think that shit should be illegal. Anything past 5 years for a car is getting pretty ridiculous.

Ford Credit bucks shift to longer, riskier loans

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, that is a common trick they are using. They don't ask you how much you want to pay for your car, they ask you "what do you want your monthly payment to be?" then just extend the loan out as far as needed to get into that range while getting you into the most expensive car possible.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Well, that's the only way some people can get a car, new immigrants for example and people with crappy credit; it sucks I know and I took it because I needed a car (live in LA), only had 1000$ to put down for a car (and 1000$ will only get you a car with more problems if you buy off craigslist) and that I knew down the road (like now) I would have better credit so I could refinance.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Holy shit, I actually went to Chase (I have an account with them) and asked for a qualification, the loan APR is now 3.54%staggering.

I opened up an account on a credit union today before I had an answer from Chase and the CU will get back to me tomorrow about the APR for it; but holy shit, from 12.5 to 3.54. Was paying 333$/mo it would be 250$ now, holy shit.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that is a common trick they are using. They don't ask you how much you want to pay for your car, they ask you "what do you want your monthly payment to be?" then just extend the loan out as far as needed to get into that range while getting you into the most expensive car possible.
This is pretty much standard fare for any big purchase.

The trick is to play them on the "whats the monthly payment", but also get a clear view of cash price. Keep haggling like a bitch at them, until the cash price is what you want (they will usually drop it because they know they will make money on the financing).

When they say "Ok, ready to go to our finance department?" you can say, "Nope", whip out your checkbook and ask who you write the check out to.

Not that wise these days with such great interest rates (for most people), but back in the day I really pissed off a car dealership pulling that trick.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
You're better off taking whatever bonuses they give you for doing the financing, then just paying it off afterwards.\

Many dealership offer money off of the car if you do financing.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Anything past 5 years for a car is getting pretty ridiculous.
If the rate is low, I don't think the term really matters. In fact, it helps keep more cash on hand.

Interest rates and terms on auto loans are a hell of a lot better than the rates and terms for student loans.

Disp_sl

shitlord
When I was car shopping with the special lady friend, just about every fucking salesman would listen to "I want a used car around 10k" and would respond with "YEAH BUT YOU CAN WALK OUT OF HERE WITH A BRAND NEW CARif you finance for 84 months." It was pretty ridiculous. I'm glad that some in the industry are speaking out about it, because I think that shit should be illegal. Anything past 5 years for a car is getting pretty ridiculous.
Little bit of a derail, but I sold cars for a few years when I was younger, and it always makes me chuckle when I hear or read stuff like this, as if the salesman is doing them a great service by switching the customer to a used car. I've met hundreds of car salesmen and never once ran into one that would rather sell a new car than a used, unless we're talking about a special or limited vehicle. This was back in 2003-2005 era when online invoices for new cars just started to show up, but weren't widely used yet. The margins and commissions are higher on used cars 90% of the time, because the customer doesn't know what the dealer paid for the car, whereas they can see the dealer invoice on a new car with 30 seconds of work. With that said, buying a used car is a far better value most of the time. That's why the manufacturers have to do all this 0% new car financing and rebates, otherwise most people would just want used since dollar for dollar they're generally a better investment.

They weren't common, but I did do a few 84 month deals. I imagine they're much more common nowadays just to drop that payment down. Saw several 16%+ APR's as well on credit criminals. We're talking like 450-525 credit score people though that couldn't be trusted to return a DVD they borrow.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
The best way to buy a car is to pick one out that you want by looking online, looking at cars your friends/family/coworkers have, etc. without stepping foot on dealership property. Then call up dealerships and see if they will make you a fax or email offer. The dealership can be one near you or one far away, the rates to ship a car are pretty cheap, in the hundreds. I did this to buy my last car, ended up having it shipped from two states over, never stepped foot in a showroom, and got it for well below MSRP.

This is a decent guide:How to Negotiate When Buying a CarExcept I paid by mailing a cashier's check and did all of the paperwork electronically or by mail. I never once stepped foot in a dealership. The moment you do, you've lost.