Axiom Verge

Siliconemelons

Home

Didnt see a deticated thread, picked it up for WiiU - didnt know it was on other consoles etc.

Not very far but its playing nicely and is more metroid 1 than super metroid in terms of not only visual but area contruction etc. It is more like the nice controlls and stuff of super metroid in the land of metroid. Its fun - I am playing on standard difficulty and its not hard per say - I think there are too many save points, but other than that its been fun.

The plot and the way they divulge bits of info is trying to be fresh but its not, its very anime cliche - but ill get past that and enjoy discovering it etc.

So far worth the 15$ or whatever.

Siliconemelons

Finished my first run, on normal difficulty - I managed to find 2 secret worlds (but no secret world weapons >_<) I actually liked the plot, although its delivery method is kind of... different. I would have liked a more narrative approach. They kinda did the Metroid prime route vs. the silent Metroid-Super Metroid route, in terms of story exploration etc.

I hope there is a 2nd, its obviously set up for a 2nd from the ending.
Its obvious from the last cutscene and the credit scene that Elsanova did not send Trace back in time but simply has him in a dream state. What happened to Dr. Hammond? Why couldn't they make more Traces? I still don't understand what the breach is, what the breach attractor is or why Athetos would make the a pathogen that would kill himself *and Trace* yet one of the machine heads could cure Trace? well lets just hope for a fun sequel!

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finished my first run, on normal difficulty - I managed to find 2 secret worlds (but no secret world weapons >_<) I actually liked the plot, although its delivery method is kind of... different. I would have liked a more narrative approach. They kinda did the Metroid prime route vs. the silent Metroid-Super Metroid route, in terms of story exploration etc.

I hope there is a 2nd, its obviously set up for a 2nd from the ending.
Its obvious from the last cutscene and the credit scene that Elsanova did not send Trace back in time but simply has him in a dream state. What happened to Dr. Hammond? Why couldn't they make more Traces? I still don't understand what the breach is, what the breach attractor is or why Athetos would make the a pathogen that would kill himself *and Trace* yet one of the machine heads could cure Trace? well lets just hope for a fun sequel!

I've been eyeing this one for a while. Glad to hear it is worthwhile, I'll probably grab it in the Steam Thanksgiving or Holiday sale.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
We had an old thread, guess it didn't get merged? It was really a great throwback game.

Siliconemelons

Just because: Mini review with ehh spoilers

Version: WiiU

Gameplay: 9/10 it controls great, only a few times on intentionally tricky/hard things was I playing against the controller.

Plot/Story: 8.5/10 it hit me on that special balance of "I want more!! MORE" and the game itself naturally produces the story and atmosphere. There are plot holes, but 99% of them "could" be "part" of the plot? see spoiler above... but some of that also is part of what makes me want more!

Setting/Visuals: 8/10 It feels and plays more like an advanced Metroid 1 vs. Super Metroid... Many reviews state that the stages/lands are not unique enough from each other - however they are in pallet, but by virtue of keeping with the 8 bit style and brick-esque build its hard so, while super Metroid had its "classic brick" areas, the others had detailed areas like caves, spaceships etc. so it was more visually diverse - so I agree and don't agree...it is something that comes with the nature of its style- the music is also good at setting a separation for each place.

Bosses: 8.5/10 - I wanted more! What we got was fun, I think there should have been more earlier utilizing a megaman style "main weapon can do it, but special weapon is best" - and then ramp up the hardmodeness once you have access to the plethora of weapons that Axion Verge has, and they are each awesome.

Replay: 7/10 I am not a "speed run" fan, so its replay in that manner is not that much- its innate replay of going back and getting 100% is good and its there- the "special" glitch zones are cool and fun to find.. maybe it should have been an 8/10.... I just don't think fully relying on speed runs is my idea of high replay.

Overall - I wouls give it a 8.5/10 ... be nice round up 9/10 because its great to see this type of game getting made, it was fun, I kept going back to it wanting to finish more and more!! It was made essentially by 1 guy, awesome!

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I played this on the Switch back when I was working remotely and it was fuckin great. Perfect Metroid throwback, and astonishing that it was made by one person.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It's an amazing game, top notch sci-fi story with awesome Metroid retro feeling. So glad I picked it up on Switch back when it came out, more people need to play it!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I got this on PS4 when it came out. I loved it. A total Metroid/Super Metroid ripoff, but in the best way. Free on Epic Store is nice!

Szlia

Is it as good as AV?
I have not played Axiom Verge so I can't give you my opinion on the matter, but my understanding is that people who played both tend to prefer Environmental Station Alpha. Sadly, many players see ESA and don't want to play it because of its low resolution visuals. I would argue though that, while AV has the big Giger-inspired sprites going for it, the art direction for the levels is far superior in ESA for what I have seen in clips and screenshots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know why I can't find this on playstation store anymore? The sequel is there, but I used to have this on my wishlist and it's nowhere to be found.