Best places/ways to ‘learn 2 code’

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don’t have a cs background but am being somewhat pressured into having to learn some basic stuff to implement into some software used in the medical setting. Looking for a way to get started. Have heard good things about python, is this a good language to learn tos tart with?

Also are there good websites anyone can rec to learn on your own? I was referred to ‘teamtreehouse.com’

Thanks, and sorry if there’s a thread going on this, I made a half Ass attempt to look for something similar

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I read that but it was more about looking for careers not Getting started learning

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Don’t have a cs background but am being somewhat pressured into having to learn some basic stuff to implement into some software used in the medical setting. Looking for a way to get started. Have heard good things about python, is this a good language to learn tos tart with?

Also are there good websites anyone can rec to learn on your own? I was referred to ‘teamtreehouse.com’

Thanks, and sorry if there’s a thread going on this, I made a half Ass attempt to look for something similar

Torrent some lynda.com stuff on whatever language you want, the videos are good for starting out. Depending on what you need to do you might find it useful to get a few fundamentals type videos before starting a particular language.

If it needs to be legit torrent it and then buy it if you think it works.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've backed into doing data science work (in R/Python) by watching Coursera lectures and grinding through building products on my own.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for tips will check these out. May just trial out Lynda isn’t pricey

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
When it comes to practicing core coding concepts you absolutely need to grasp to be successful at it you can't really go wrong with Hackerrank and what have you. But solving abstract problems also sucks dick.

Find some basic projects with tangible results for things that interest you. For example, if you are interested in webdesign stuff (gag me) make a simple tic tac toe webgame just using standard libraries for Javascript or something. Then move on to a more complicated one that uses something else. Like a shopping page that requires a cart/save functions and so on. This way of learning has always been more effective for me personally.

But in order to actually get jobs I've had to grind out tons of problems on Hackerrank so I can pass fucking retarded coding interviews.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
A bit more detail, I’m not actually personally doing the coding but supposed to hire/supervise the guys that are, basically tell them what needs to get done and then make sure it’s done in a way that works for us. But I just wanna learn enuf in a broad sense so that I when I ask questions / make requests , they aren’t plainly retarded/impossible, and also to know enough that I can tell if the coders are phoning it in / terrible.

I told them they should hire a project manager with experience for shit like this, but I guess they wanna save money so it should be interesting as this disaster unfolds

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Pick a language
Buy a book on it
Watch youtube tutorials
Do the examples and tutorials

If you want to learn C#, for instance, here's a flow chart on what you should study in sorta what order, with the time commitment, in order to learn the language properly

c#100hrs.PNG

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It really isn't that difficult to self teach yourself to code, the hard part is self motivating. I've tried several times and just peter out after maybe a few weeks of every day for a few hours working on it. Its interesting, but not enough to really grab me. Which sucks because I do love to learn, and its great money, and I'm good with computers and used to spending a lot of time in front of them.

But as a hobby. As a career I'd lose my fucking mind doing it. I like being outside when I work for the most part. Just makes the whole work day easier and less grindingly atrocious.