Bethesda threatens lawsuit over sale of secondhand games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Except when they get the customer support phone calls of "why doesn't the DLC code in this product work, I bought it NEW". That is what this is entirely about.

Then that customer would call Amazon and state that the package (if a GOTY edition with DLC) didn't come with everything a new package should have, and Amazon takes action.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Except when they get the customer support phone calls of "why doesn't the DLC code in this product work, I bought it NEW". That is what this is entirely about.

Except... the first thing they are going to do is ask where you purchased it, and to provide a receipt. And as soon as you say you got it off some rando on Amazon, they'll say, sorry, that's not an authorized reseller and you bought a used copy.

It doesn't appear they asked him to change anything, they simply told him to remove it from sale. Kinda goes against what they later said about it being fine if he didn't list it as new. They went full nuclear at the outset.

“Unless you remove all Bethesda products, from your storefront, stop selling any and all Bethesda products immediately and identify all sources of Bethesda products you are selling, we intend to file a lawsuit against you,” the letter reads. It goes on to state that a lawsuit would seek “disgorgement of profits, compensatory damages, attorneys’ fees and investigative and other costs.”

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Except... the first thing they are going to do is ask where you purchased it, and to provide a receipt. And as soon as you say you got it off some rando on Amazon, they'll say, sorry, that's not an authorized reseller and you bought a used copy.
And then you all say "I will never buy from Bethesda again". Or "why do they let people say copies as new".

It's totally a lose lose and has been so for decades. This isn't a new topic in the slightest. I was fighting this back when every game needed a CD key and you would scam K-Mart saying that a CD was scratched and get a brand new copy from them and then you would take that back as unopened without a receipt and get a gift card back.

You then quote a snippet from a letter and only that snippet which he released. Bethesda explained it on their twitter and in interviews.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Software isnt special and its time these faggot companies realize it. People can resale what ever the fuck they want. Just like a table. Just like a tv. Just like a computer.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Except you get the resellers who scam with "New" computer hardware as well. This stuff isn't clothes, there's no "Like new only been worn once" either it's untouched in the box or it's used. I've had the situation where I rebought an item from the same listing straight through my previous Amazon orders list but it wasn't the same seller, the legit ones probably ran out of stock. Bottom line if the peel tape still isn't on then for damn sure it ain't New and that was only the first of many red flags.

Most people likely get jacked the first time unless you read up on the Amazon policies and AtoZ from the start. I got fully refunded and Amazon eventually pulled that particular listing entirely but these things are such a volume business they rely on people not checking or caring.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Its always a risk buying 3rd party. Particularly site unseen. It has been this way since the dawn of trade. Software discs are no different.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And then you all say "I will never buy from Bethesda again". Or "why do they let people say copies as new".

It's totally a lose lose and has been so for decades. This isn't a new topic in the slightest. I was fighting this back when every game needed a CD key and you would scam K-Mart saying that a CD was scratched and get a brand new copy from them and then you would take that back as unopened without a receipt and get a gift card back.

You then quote a snippet from a letter and only that snippet which he released. Bethesda explained it on their twitter and in interviews.

First, don't lump me in with people saying shit that I never said.

Second, please provide ANY context in which the quoted part of that letter doesn't make them an over-reaching douche company just looking for some bad PR?

I'm very aware of what they explained, and I'm very aware they are being stupid in how they are handling it. Let me ask you a question - do you honestly think Bethesda is doing this for the benefit of their customers like they state? Since we are trusting them so much in what they say?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Second, please provide ANY context in which the quoted part of that letter doesn't make them an over-reaching douche company just looking for some bad PR?
Bethesda itself vs the lawyers they have on retainer.

Do I honestly think they are caring about you and I the consumer first? Yes I do. Do I also think that they are trying to save themselves a lot of support work that they probably have had to deal with? Yes they are.

I don't think they wanted to be hard on this guy at all. They contacted legal and told them "hey we have been getting a lot of complaints about used stuff being sold as new and having to fix it, can you start shutting it down, these consumers are getting boned just as much as we are".

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
We would have to see the call metrics. I highly doubt they are looking out for customers when they take royalty fees for player created mods on the creation club against every single piece of feedback they received to the point they had to pull the idea once and then just said “Fuck em” and did it anyway.

Bethesda doesn’t give two shits about their customers. They used too. Not any more.

Hell, the only one left is CD project red at this point that does a good job towards customer good will.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We would have to see the call metrics. I highly doubt they are looking out for customers when they take royalty fees for player created mods on the creation club against every single piece of feedback they received to the point they had to pull the idea once and then just said “Fuck em” and did it anyway.

Bethesda doesn’t give two shits about their customers. They used too. Not any more.
I can get behind that reason of hating them and ride that hate train forever.

This C&D letter to an online vendor though I feel went viral because we "all" hate game companies and expect the worst.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I can get behind that reason of hating them and ride that hate train forever.

This C&D letter to an online vendor though I feel went viral because we "all" hate game companies and expect the worst.

I can see your point there.

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its always a risk buying 3rd party. Particularly site unseen. It has been this way since the dawn of trade. Software discs are no different.
So? Not like first party sellers don't fuck that up. I bought mass effect 2 on Steam. None of the dlc codes worked(no ziade or kasumi for me) that steam gave me.

If a product is nib, never used they shouldn't be able to lawyer their way out of supporting it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Them saying he has to sell it as "used" because they can't verify something they could never possibly verify is completely retarded.

All vendors should have to sell all games as used unless their lawyer is present from production of each game until the consumer gets home and opens it

• 1Like