Black Lightning

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Black Lightning

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2018-01-16

Creator: Salim Akil, Mara Brock Akil

Cast: Cress Williams, China Anne McClain, Christine Adams, Nafessa Williams, Marvin 'Krondon' Jones III, Damon Gupton, James Remar

Overview: Jefferson Pierce is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a New Orleans neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
With Berlanti tied to it, it has a shot. Although Fox has been doing alright with their DC properties. Gotham was definitely better in the second season and I love Lucifer.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I thought this was supposed to be Will Smith's kid, or am I thinking a different DC show?

Goatface

he was supposed to be Static Shock in another show, but think that went away

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't know much about this character, but it seems like one better suited to an ensemble like Legends of Tomorrow than his own show.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I don't know much about this character, but it seems like one better suited to an ensemble like Legends of Tomorrow than his own show.

Character is pretty bland tbh. However, he would be better used as a guest character on Flash or on Legends for sure.

Plus the only reason it's on CW is cuz Fox paid for the pilot and shit then passed on it. I don't think they are gonna have the same luck that they did with Supergirl.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
So when they cast a white superhero, they're all "lets just pick a good actor regardless of whether they look like the character". "Its all about the acting chops".

Then when they cast a black superhero, theyre all "lets get a black actor".

OK, got it.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So does this take place in the same universe as the Flash and Arrow? Doesn't look to bad. I dunno how long it will hold my attention if the Villain is some stupid gang.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
why does black lightning have to be around other black ppl?

The only asians in my life are my wife and the chinese takeout guy. I actually see more blacks than asians in life, and that's only b/c for some reason whole foods hires black cashiers, however all the ppl working behind the counter (bakery/meat/fish... etc) are all white. I've never seen a black person behind a whole foods counter. (well at this point i know the employees, so all the cashiers stay as cashiers)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ha. fun.
I like the fact its older, post retirement. my first thoughts, were if the daughters would be in it, and that they might be more interesting. Then, as it revealed that it was set in a time with older Black lightning, I kept thinking, yeah they must be in it. but didnt show them.

Biggest flaw.
Looks too much like a CW show, and doesnt have enough of its own visual identity.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
ha. fun.
I like the fact its older, post retirement. my first thoughts, were if the daughters would be in it, and that they might be more interesting. Then, as it revealed that it was set in a time with older Black lightning, I kept thinking, yeah they must be in it. but didnt show them.

Biggest flaw.
Looks too much like a CW show, and doesnt have enough of its own visual identity.
I'm confused. Are you saying his daughters weren't in it? Or are you referring to someone other than Black Lightning's actual daughters somehow that I don't understand? Or are you just going off of that trailer? Because his daughters were definitely in it, and were a pretty big part of the story. They're also shown in the trailer, although it might be easy to miss them.

I rolled my eyes a ton in the first half of the show, and a little bit in the last half, and really hated the daughters at first, but overall it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. I actually really like the main actor now that I've seen more of him, and Dexter's dad is always great. It had, to my mind, far too much blatant "this is a black show" stuff, and typical stupid white racist cops that might happen in real life but everyone agrees is dumb when it does, but once it got past some of that stuff I liked it ok. I mean, we have the typical shit where how am I supposed to believe that his own daughters wouldn't recognize him in his suit and goggles, particularly since there can't be too many huge black dudes with that particular strikingly cut beard in this town, but whatever.

I will keep watching, as it was better than I expected it to be. Not great, and it could tip into unwatchable territory very easily, but it earned further viewing from me on the strength of the main actor mostly.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm confused. Are you saying his daughters weren't in it? Or are you referring to someone other than Black Lightning's actual daughters somehow that I don't understand? Or are you just going off of that trailer? Because his daughters were definitely in it, and were a pretty big part of the story. They're also shown in the trailer, although it might be easy to miss them.

I rolled my eyes a ton in the first half of the show, and a little bit in the last half, and really hated the daughters at first, but overall it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. I actually really like the main actor now that I've seen more of him, and Dexter's dad is always great. It had, to my mind, far too much blatant "this is a black show" stuff, and typical stupid white racist cops that might happen in real life but everyone agrees is dumb when it does, but once it got past some of that stuff I liked it ok. I mean, we have the typical shit where how am I supposed to believe that his own daughters wouldn't recognize him in his suit and goggles, particularly since there can't be too many huge black dudes with that particular strikingly cut beard in this town, but whatever.

I will keep watching, as it was better than I expected it to be. Not great, and it could tip into unwatchable territory very easily, but it earned further viewing from me on the strength of the main actor mostly.
ah, the first episode is out. yeah, I was just talking about the trailer. and, yes, I even overlooked them more or less in the trailer. it focused on him and *his* powers.

The girls have powers too. in comics, they are more used and relevant then Black lightning himself these days. he mostly shows up as retired superdad. Kindof like Steel and Natasha Irons. Natasha is way way more active then him in comics.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Thought this wasn't horrible. I will keep watching to see how it goes. It is hard to base a show just on the pilot/first episode. I am also glad it isn't an origin story. Although i am sure we will get some of that stuff.

Also, this is not Arrowverse. Although they could always do it later via them being on a different Earth like they did with Supergirl.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database