Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Right, but a single server packed with what is essentially the current fanbase still only equates out to a few thousand, maybe.

No one is saying there aren't fans of the EQ1 model. What we are saying is there isn't enough of a fanbase to warrant what is essentially multi-million dollar reskin unless some rich person is self-funding it as a passion project
I get what you're saying. It would be high risk investment for sure. That being said, there is a group of people right now porting the assets of EQ to the Unity engine. It's a fan-based thing, so who knows if they will ever complete it. In essence, that fan-based project is essentially what I am talking about except for the fact that they are using the old EQ assets (graphics, textures, objects) and porting it in to the Unity engine. Under the hood though, since it is the Unity engine, it is a modern game engine that is capable of way better graphics than what they are using to make it. Someone could take the final version of that project, dump the old graphics/textures/objects, replace them with higher polygon count objects, animations, and textures to make a modern day EQ.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But will I be able to play it in a browser?

• 4Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
No offense, but if you don't want EverQuest with a new game client, then maybe you just don't want EverQuest. It's ok. There's nothing wrong with wanting something different.

The only thing I would argue is that if you don't want a new EverQuest, then why would your opinion matter to the company making a new EverQuest?

It's like not liking pickup trucks, but telling all manufacturers of pickup trucks that the next pickup should look like a corvette.

Maybe... just maybe... EverQuest isn't what you want to play. Just saying.

Sounds a lot like "you think you do but you don't" completely out of touch pomp.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
How did this become an EQ thread?
Factual. Kind of like a certain "Producer" taking his entire team to MineCon in Vegas, only to return with the 'revelation' that a certain MMO will now have destructible terrain. Then fire up the hype machine, sell world creation tools to 'players' to basically get them to pay to do your work for you, while failing to ever actually deliver a game.

My favorite part was when this producer asked the rest of the company to play through their 'new' (conceptually lifted directly from League of Legends) combat system, only for basically the entire company to complain that it was complete shit for an MMO. Either that or completely faking the combat demo at a certain fan event in Las Vegas (basically lying to players about the state of the game), only to cancel the whole thing a few months later.

And, now you know...

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Did you miss that egotistical "retail/our new garbage is better" line then them caving and being proved wrong?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Latest thing seems to be resistence to cross faction grouping to help server balance.

It's really simple.

Guilds can be cross faction.

War Mode on = Allied Faction only grouping, Enemy Faction PvP, World PvP
War Mode off = Cross Faction grouping and Cross Faction PvP

Give players a rep bar for Alliance and Horde and cosmetic bonuses for using either mode or a balance. So you can be "Faction Loyalist", "Work together against larger threat" or "Mercenary".

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Right, but a single server packed with what is essentially the current fanbase still only equates out to a few thousand, maybe.

No one is saying there aren't fans of the EQ1 model. What we are saying is there isn't enough of a fanbase to warrant what is essentially multi-million dollar reskin unless some rich person is self-funding it as a passion project
Not only that, but it's also a TLP experience, which is NOT "old-school" EQ reskinned, like these people chasing the dragon want.

People love TLPs because it's new, there are races, you have 40 slot bags, maps, and all the myriad of QOL shit that has been added to the game over the years. Like I said, to see the population of an "EQ BUT WITH BETTER GRAPHICS OMG!", look at the population of P99 - that's your audience.

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I would imagine 'EQ with better graphics' would be closer to the TLP experience than P99. You'd expect some development of the original ideas. I'd guess most mean a slower, more deliberate game with an emphasis on social interactions rather than just 'all the cruft of a 20 year old game'. TLP EQ is still significantly different than what you get in other MMOs out there.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I would imagine 'EQ with better graphics' would be closer to the TLP experience than P99. You'd expect some development of the original ideas. I'd guess most mean a slower, more deliberate game with an emphasis on social interactions rather than just 'all the cruft of a 20 year old game'. TLP EQ is still significantly different than what you get in other MMOs out there.
That isn't what EQ Luddites argue for though. It was even said in this thread.. "all we ever wanted was for them to take EverQuest and recreate it in an brand new game client. "

They literally want 1999 EQ with better graphics. It's just a bunch of drug addicts chasing the dopamine high they got the first time they injected heroin. It ain't coming back, those receptors are dead.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You will never fix imbalances in faction based MMOs. Players will always find a way to exploit it whether intentional or not.

It’s an archaic design that is nothing more than an unnecessary restriction put on the player base.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You will never fix imbalances in faction based MMOs. Players will always find a way to exploit it whether intentional or not.

It’s an archaic design that is nothing more than an unnecessary restriction put on the player base.

Is it desired by slobs you want to leech in pvp groups. Or otherwise people no one likes who want to force people to have to be in a psuedo guild with them.

There will always be imbalances and ruin. It's why the so called "we have paladins we will beat the horde" retards ended up crying to instantly have battlegrounds put in.

diablo-2-resurrected-release-date-classes-1.png

That's worse than I thought it would be. Bravo with trying to replace history.

Last edited:

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Just wanted to echo that anyone who thinks a reskinned EQ would do well is totally nuts. Sorry, but I don't care how pretty the game looks. If you are playing for the first time and sit there whiffing at a Fire Beetle for 5 minutes straight only to see your experience bar barley move you're going to bail out... This doesn't even touch on the myriad of other issues like corpse runs, exp loss, bland combat, etc.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is it desired by slobs you want to leech in pvp groups. Or otherwise people no one likes who want to force people to have to be in a psuedo guild with them.

There will always be imbalances and ruin. It's why the so called "we have paladins we will beat the horde" retards ended up crying to instantly have battlegrounds put in.

View attachment 370830

That's worse than I thought it would be. Bravo with trying to replace history.
Wow the paladin is full black now. Should be a bit more arabic (as paladin the word is arabic in origin).

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just wanted to echo that anyone who thinks a reskinned EQ would do well is totally nuts. Sorry, but I don't care how pretty the game looks. If you are playing for the first time and sit there whiffing at a Fire Beetle for 5 minutes straight only to see your experience bar barley move you're going to bail out... This doesn't even touch on the myriad of other issues like corpse runs, exp loss, bland combat, etc.

MUD gameplay aint gonna hack it. reskinned or not.

EQ is dated to MUD combat systems of the early 1990s which have fallen out of favor

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Wow the paladin is full black now. Should be a bit more arabic (as paladin the word is arabic in origin).
wasnt he always full black? I know he was super pixelated but he was very dark in the original too

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I always thought he was more of a Saracen than a dinger

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I get what you're saying. It would be high risk investment for sure. That being said, there is a group of people right now porting the assets of EQ to the Unity engine. It's a fan-based thing, so who knows if they will ever complete it. In essence, that fan-based project is essentially what I am talking about except for the fact that they are using the old EQ assets (graphics, textures, objects) and porting it in to the Unity engine. Under the hood though, since it is the Unity engine, it is a modern game engine that is capable of way better graphics than what they are using to make it. Someone could take the final version of that project, dump the old graphics/textures/objects, replace them with higher polygon count objects, animations, and textures to make a modern day EQ.

Lot of rose colored glasses with respect to EQ. I get it was people's first obsession in the MMO genre, but it's a TERRIBLE combat system wrapped around some incredibly bloated character systems, and some broken as well. And this a game I played for 5 years, and worked on for 8 years after that. Take the world, take the lore, but a re-skinned version of EQ would be awful IMO.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users