Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I've never played Destiny 2 but I've heard it spoken highly of for a couple of years now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If theyve consistently said its great for 2 full years then they cant be trusted - Destiny goes through phases of bad before it gets good - Sure the gunplay is still S tier but that game turns to hot garbage all too frequently.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Disagree. OW was the last gasp of Old Blizzard doing what they did best - taking an existing genre/game format, polishing it to a shine, then releasing a better version. People are jaded about it now, but when it launched, it was fucking HUGE. And it was very fun.
You just have a different line for where 'old blizzard' is. Blizzard saw the organic growth of SC esports, the trading community of D2 and the success of their 'polish a genre' that Warcraft/WoW had and they decided to formalize that as a company identity. They overdid it after that. I was there for OW launch at Blizzcon and this was peak 'rock star Blizzard' which caused them to get big heads and think they could theorycraft all of that into a business plan. D3 is nu-blizzard, trying to formalize the trading community of D2. OW/SC2 is nu-blizzard trying to formalize the organic esports of SC/BW and strangling it in process. HOTS/Hearthstone are nu-blizzard. All attempts to bottle the lightning those communities developed, while overpolishing them down to a sphere.

There was a decent amount of overlap of the old guard that took part in OW development that it had strong bones and was a fun game, but their desperation to harness the esports of SC and force everyone to play their way drove people away quick enough.

Nu-blizzard was the same old guard trying to systematize the 'magic' of their earlier successes while overdoing the safety scissor 'polish'. They all either converted to the new soulless ethos or left. The purple haired DEI crowd don't even rank as actual valid Blizzard employees, so I don't count them in any new/old distinction.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Maybe Overwatch2 will be cancelled and they can make an MMO out of the assets

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
D2 is good finally? Everything since TTK has been shit - Dying Light was hot garbage

D2 Has been great since Forsaken, wasnt perfect but each release better and better. Its not a 40 hour a week MMO, but its a good couple night a week content. I usually do a Night of the Grandmaster Nightfall, a Night of Trials of Osirus, a night where we do a Dungeon or two, and maybe a weekly raid, though once you do them a handful of times grinding them is a bore.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I've never played Destiny 2 but I've heard it spoken highly of for a couple of years now.

I bought it while on sale last month and pumped 80 hours into it in under 2 weeks as it was that enjoyable but once you finish the story stuff and other misc things and hit the endgame treadmill it can fuck right off as it has all the worst features of MMO and ARPG grinds mixed and I'd rather put my free time elsewhere. It is the one FPS I prefer to play on controller too if that's your jam.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I bought it while on sale last month and pumped 80 hours into it in under 2 weeks as it was that enjoyable but once you finish the story stuff and other misc things and hit the endgame treadmill it can fuck right off as it has all the worst features of MMO and ARPG grinds mixed and I'd rather put my free time elsewhere. It is the one FPS I prefer to play on controller too if that's your jam.
This is pretty much me. I go a while without playing and then go nuts catching up, then burn out really quick when you hit the grinds. I really love the gameplay though. It's always just "felt" so right.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
H O T
G A R B A G E

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Blizzard was basically proto-woke when they made it impossible to speak to the other faction in WoW, and when they removed K/D/A ratios in Overwatch.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Blizzard right about now:
View attachment 373725

Me and my shit lord friends still playing TBC classic:
View attachment 373726
Its ok, Blizzard has an amazing answer to this;

Disagree. OW was the last gasp of Old Blizzard doing what they did best - taking an existing genre/game format, polishing it to a shine, then releasing a better version. People are jaded about it now, but when it launched, it was fucking HUGE. And it was very fun.
More or less. Theyve done practically nothing to it in the 5 years its been out. 7-8 new heroes and a 2-3 new maps. Thats literally it.

• 4Worf
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 4 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

More or less. Theyve done practically nothing to it in the 5 years its been out. 7-8 new heroes and a 2-3 new maps. Thats literally it.
“Lei Shen is no longer available as a raid encounter, as he is voluntarily attending sensitivity training and getting in touch with his inner goddess. The Twin Empyreans will now serve as the final encounter in Throne of Thunder because #GirlBoss”

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Just shut the fucking game down at this point. This is beyond retarded.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
H O T
G A R B A G E
The studio's time with Activision/Blizzard has damaged the IP somehow. The moment-to-moment gameplay (I hate the term loop) is still fantastic and the Destiny1/Destiny2 IP/world(s) is amazing and compelling but what they are doing with the narrative has lost me. I completed the last XPac and haven't touched it since. How did Blizzard go from Midas to Yog-Soggath in 5 years?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Overwatch went from a cross-promoted IP that had brand recognition from non-gamers (on account of their product tie-ins and the high quality animated shorts), lots of e-sports promotion etx. to a veritable ghost town in less than a year.

Before OW2 was announced it was common to see Overwatch Action Figures features on store end caps, tshirts. etc and people were expecting an OW animated series on Netflix to kick things to the next level.

I actually had a non-gamer friend ask me whatever happened with Overwatch this past summer as he really enjoyed the shorts and even had purchased one of the figures even though he had zero interest in playing the game.

It all seems so incredibly short sighted.

• 1Faggotry

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There's supposed to be some kind of OW2 announcement at the owl grand finals today at 5 my time.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Overwatch went from a cross-promoted IP that had brand recognition from non-gamers (on account of their product tie-ins and the high quality animated shorts), lots of e-sports promotion etx. to a veritable ghost town in less than a year.

Before OW2 was announced it was common to see Overwatch Action Figures features on store end caps, tshirts. etc and people were expecting an OW animated series on Netflix to kick things to the next level.

I actually had a non-gamer friend ask me whatever happened with Overwatch this past summer as he really enjoyed the shorts and even had purchased one of the figures even though he had zero interest in playing the game.

It all seems so incredibly short sighted.
Its just another example of the fundamental problem Blizzard has; insanely slow development pace. No other company in the world produces content this slow, let alone in 2021 when theres more media options than ever. Its really quite baffling how little they produce for how big they are especially when you factor in the quality of what they do produce.

Obviously the right people have never been fired at Blizzard.

Last edited:
  • 1Like