Bogus credit card charges from SWTOR/SOE

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I woke up this morning to a call from American Express about fraudulent credit card transactions. Apparently last night there were a dozen or so charges to my account from "SOE EVENTS - SOE EVENTS" and "STAR WARS - WWW.SWTOR.COM" for amounts like $1.00, $29.99, $39.99, etc. I never subscribed to SWTOR and haven't had an active subscription with SOE in years, but my card was on file with them at the time of their database incursion issues.

Check your credit card statements.

I got this too on a Discover Card. What they did was ping the Playstation Network for a 99 cent charge to see if the card worked. Luckily the Discover fraud department called within an hour of the charge. I told them I don't even own a Playstation so they cancelled the card and sent me a new one. My card was definitely stolen via SWTOR. I got a 20$ copy from a buddy who works at EA, got to level 7, and uninstalled it. So totally not worth the stolen CC info. ;(

Anyway, not sure the how SOE network is now, but it was a joke of the industry when all the compromises were happening. Here's aGoogle engineer's take on the PlayStation Network.

Steve Yegge_sl said:
But I'll argue that Accessibility is actually more important than Security because dialing Accessibility to zero means you have no product at all, whereas dialing Security to zero can still get you a reasonably successful product such as the Playstation Network.
Pretty good read if you are a developer or just interested in this kind of stuff.
biggrin.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got this too on a Discover Card. What they did was ping the Playstation Network for a 99 cent charge to see if the card worked. Luckily the Discover fraud department called within an hour of the charge. I told them I don't even own a Playstation so they cancelled the card and sent me a new one. My card was definitely stolen via SWTOR. I got a 20$ copy from a buddy who works at EA, got to level 7, and uninstalled it. So totally not worth the stolen CC info. ;(

Anyway, not sure the how SOE network is now, but it was a joke of the industry when all the compromises were happening. Here's aGoogle engineer's take on the PlayStation Network.

Pretty good read if you are a developer or just interested in this kind of stuff.
biggrin.png
Good read, although your link label is a little mis-leading as that is literally the only quote that directly talks about PSN.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
How nice of Bioware/EA to take out the option of deleting your CC information from your account. Is there anyway to change this so I can delete all my CC information? I do not trust them with it. I used to be able to do this fairly easily. Or is it still there and I cannot see the option?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What they did was ping the Playstation Network for a 99 cent charge to see if the card worked. Luckily the Discover fraud department called within an hour of the charge. I told them I don't even own a Playstation so they cancelled the card and sent me a new one. My card was definitely stolen via SWTOR
How would you know this for sure?

Have you not played any of SOE's games?

SOE taking tips from FunCom? FC got me in the habit of changing my CC info to random garbage when I unsub, guess I should almost thank them for the many times over the years they tried to stealth charge peoples CCs and claim it was an automation error.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
SOE taking tips from FunCom? FC got me in the habit of changing my CC info to random garbage when I unsub, guess I should almost thank them for the many times over the years they tried to stealth charge peoples CCs and claim it was an automation error.
How has that shit not gotten them sued?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
This is the #1 reason I hate hate HATE having to put in credit card information on most MMOs, even if I just want to install, play part of the free* 30 days included and quit. They still want your goddamn info.