No Time to Die (007 Bond)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fedor

<Banned>
xehtagdk99a31.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Its gonna be a lean couple years for hollywood before they start making movies that people want to go see.

• 2Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

16009112-7244623-image-a-11_1563048356192.jpg

Can't wait for the low key cult supporters, like level 1 operating thetans, to quickly fill this thread with "this is fine, its no big deal, its absurd to think its hypocritical pandering" and "you guys are man babies/racist ect".

Last edited:

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Honk honk virtue signaling aside in that article, the key takeaways for me are that she isn’t Bond she just got his job, and that Bond is still Bond....so it should be fine?

The real fear being that it’s an entire movie of cis white male Bond being put in his place every time he acts out of line.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

Rewritting Bond to cast a black woman in the part would have been dumb. Having another agent take the 007 code after Bond's retirement is pretty logical and if you want to do that, the two main options are 1) to have someone very similar to Bond or who tries to be very similar to him (the heir - which can be written in many different ways), 2) to have someone very different from Bond or who actively tries to not be like Bond (the iconoclast - which can also be written in many different ways). If you chose that second option, it's reasonable to have a black woman as 007. The fact it's in the zeitgeist certainly pleases the PR department, but it can also be conducive to an interesting script. That being said, when you invite this type of gender and racial themes you better write well, because these are complex and sensitive issues. The credited writing team is a strange bunch, so it's pretty difficult to know what will come out of it, but Cary Joji Fukunaga should be a reason for at least a modicum of optimism.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Rewritting Bond to cast a black woman in the part would have been dumb. Having another agent take the 007 code after Bond's retirement is pretty logical and if you want to do that, the two main options are 1) to have someone very similar to Bond or who tries to be very similar to him (the heir - which can be written in many different ways), 2) to have someone very different from Bond or who actively tries to not be like Bond (the iconoclast - which can also be written in many different ways). If you chose that second option, it's reasonable to have a black woman as 007. The fact it's in the zeitgeist certainly pleases the PR department, but it can also be conducive to an interesting script. That being said, when you invite this type of gender and racial themes you better write well, because these are complex and sensitive issues. The credited writing team is a strange bunch, so it's pretty difficult to know what will come out of it, but Cary Joji Fukunaga should be a reason for at least a modicum of optimism.

I mean it's fine actually. A black secret agent woman? I don't see anything wrong with that.

But now, outside of the obvious marketing reasons, why do you need to bother calling it James Bond?

That's really where they're losing it. It's not a James Bond story anymore but you're calling it a James Bond story. So, well, ok. Best of luck. No amount of writing is going to overcome that problem. It could be a GREAT story. It still ain't gonna be a james bond story, but it's going to be named a James Bond story. Like this past season of black mirror. They were fine stories, well written. They weren't black mirror stories though and I suspect that they've seriously damaged the franchise.

Bond is a super specific branding. He's the OG shitlord. The audience will reject it and it's not their fault.

Last edited:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

How well do you think it would go over if you made a movie about China's top spy being a "handsome", brilliant, youngwhite guy replacing an old, clearly out-dated Chinese guy who needs to retire because he can't keep up? Really curious what Hollywood's hot-take is on white men even being strong figures in movies where they'd be a minority within the culture.

16269905.jpg

Be honest.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I see this is gonna do really well in theaters (not) and then they will blame the racists for it doing bad. Thats my prediction.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
the AWWWWW HELLL NAWWW when she gets in trouble.

Idris Elba looking mighty fine about now.

This corroborates the earlier leak that James Bond will be killed off in this script-- the same script that Danny Boyle bowed out on.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Its gonna be a lean couple years for hollywood before they start making movies that people want to go see.

They are flush with cash from the golden age. A reminder of what happens when oligarchs become too big to fail.

They can afford another Ghostbusters. They can afford many more.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
She's not James Bond, she's 007 and Bond (Daniel Craig) has retired. So it would be logical to assume that she either gets killed or otherwise needs Bond's help.

Szlia

iannis iannis I have not read much about the supposed plot of this new Bond movie, has it been said that the focus of story will be 007 and not Bond? I would think the focus will be on Bond, brought out of retirement and forming a reluctant duo with the new 007.

How well do you think it would go over if you made a movie about China's top spy being a "handsome", brilliant, youngwhite guy replacing an old, clearly out-dated Chinese guy who needs to retire because he can't keep up? Really curious what Hollywood's hot-take is on white men even being strong figures in movies where they'd be a minority within the culture.

Do you remember that time the chinese empire expanded past the Caucasus? Me neither.

To be fair, I have seen hundreds of chinese and hong kongese movies and I can't remember one off the top of my head which would have a caucasian protagonist other than The Great Wall (which is a co-production with the US) oh and Dragon Blade! Over the years I have seen many secondary characters or antagonists in the british administration of Hong-Kong or the colonial powers in China, but no protagonists... the closest I can think of is that biracial HK actor of the '90s whose name escapes me and whose ethnicity would sometime be a plot point...

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There has to be an incredibly talented script and production to fuck with a fifty year old formula. Based on the up and down nature of the latest Bond movies (though I love the Craig Bond), I don't see that happening.

I guess this quote from Barbara Broccoli was a lot more telling than it seemed at the time:
But there is one thing about which James Bond can rest easy: his manhood. Speaking to the Guardian, 007’s executive producer Barbara Broccoli ruled out any Doctor Who-style gender reinvention for Ian Fleming’s super-spy.

“Bond is male,” she said. “He’s a male character. He was written as a male and I think he’ll probably stay as a male.

“And that’s fine. We don’t have to turn male characters into women. Let’s just create more female characters and make the story fit those female characters.”

Do we get to see this 007 in fist fights where she's repeatedly taking down 250 pound men? Heh.

• 1Like