Boulder, CO for 3 Months

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I leave for Boulder this weekend for work. Will be there for 3 months and potentially permanently if I like it. Looking for places to go/do while I'm there. I'll be driving down so will be able to get around, even considering buying a cheap motorcycle as well. Also looking for outdoor activities to hit up in the Rockies.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've spent a ton of time in Denver and Ft Collins but have only been to Boulder twice. Ft Collins is a beer mecca. Rocky Mountain National Park is dope. Make sure to spend some time in Estes Park if you go. Feels like it's stuck in the late 1800s.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Depending where you would be riding, I dont trust some of the retards on the road here on my bike. Straight stretches of 25 that have daily wrecks etc during rush hour for no reason. I wouldn't get a mini bike like a grom or anything as those get stolen a lot, but a cheaper full size should be fine if you arn't trying to go in rush hour in certain places.

Anything in particular you are into would help guide some advice for what's around.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I like pretty much any outdoor activity except rock climbing, love to repel tho, weird. I'm ok going up until I look down and usually freak out and tense up. If I do end up getting a motorcycle tho I will probably be doing that most of the time. I've read about some pretty epic rides in the rockies over on advrider.com

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
If you like hiking, Flatirons and Eldorado canyon are good places to start with a ton of other nearby areas. Stop at Avery Brewing for good food and some great beer (grab some growlers of Mephistopheles Stout for later). Pearl Street is cool the first few times you go there. They have a pretty dope farmers market. Eldora is a nice little ski area if you're into that (won't be open in your 3 month stay but in case in goes longer).

As for riding, you are going to be there during the perfect time. There are so many amazing rides through the Rockies it will blow your mind. Drivers are no worse than I have seen elsewhere, but be aware there are a lot of smaller roads in the mountains with little to no signage so don't get too ambitious in corners (some of those high roads have no guardrail either). Also depending on your bike, you are going to be losing power in some of the higher elevations.

You will find yourself going to Denver and Ft. Collins for a few things and those towns have a ton to do.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Lucile's is a killer place for breakfast. My sister sends me bottles of their house made ketchup.

Also recommend hitting up some hot springs.

Sludig

Riding in the Rockies is definitely high on my list, even if I don't stay. Looking at this bike next week if he still has it and lowers the price:

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2003-bmw-f650gsonlymiles-and/6564768110.html
Still trying to catch this KTM adventure bike that lives in my neighborhood and chat him up. By the time I see him he's already down past me. Still learning on my Versys 1000 after deciding to sell my Vulcan S or designate it the wifes first "real" bike when she outgrows her Grom.

Working on finding better curvy roads near me to try at 60mph that still have good sightlines before I start going up into our mountain roads that I enjoyed back when I had my R32. Probably would kill myself or hold up traffic on my bike.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Boulder is hippie mecca. If you want to ride around you can pretty much pick a direction and find shit. Take the back road down to Golden then highway 40 west until it meets up with I-70 near Idaho Springs. Summer is pretty much dead season while school is out and there's no snow to ski on. If you are looking for picturesque just meander along I-70. The area between Eisenhower tunnel and Vail is pretty year round. If you go up to Glenwood Springs you can take the trip down to Aspen. See Maroon Bells along the way. Take the back pass through Leadville to Colo Springs, then back up 25 to whatever the highway is that goes to Boulder from there.

Sludig

I love hanging lake but it's overran pretty bad. Yearly articles about people being shitheads and walking out onto the log in the lake etc. Fights in the parking lot because there's like 60 spaces for hundreds trying to visit all at once and it's right off a narrow twisting canyon highway so not the easiest to try and get there by alternative means. Last I knew they were talking about shutting it down and going to needing reservations/tickets.

If you are near there and Leadville, I'm biased as it's where my parents have their house from when my dad was a kid, but Buena Vista I enjoy mostly. Hipsters have kinda taken over, but some great restaurants along the drag including an icecream/candy shop that has all kinds of ancient candy brands you wouldnt think still existed. (Candy cigarettes and all that) Some nice cheap hotels with good views on the edge of town there or in Salida to drive out to what you want to go see.

Grand lake is kinda interesting, fairly massive lake up in the mountains. Had our wedding in the area though didnt get to go out on the water.

If you ain't a namby pamby, plenty of shooting options too though not as good these days as some other states. Some of the close to town places near Boulder were shut down because of trashy idiot college kids and general white trash left so much trash/caused damage.

Brad2770

Never been to Colorado. Looking to book a cabin. Is Colorado better in the summer or winter. I have never seen real snow. Just the slushy shit we get here in Texas.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Summer. Hands down. Winter is good if you like skiing, but the weather in the mountains is extremely volatile in the winter.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
From what I have gathered since being here, it is possible to find snow even in August.

Sludig

Never been to Colorado. Looking to book a cabin. Is Colorado better in the summer or winter. I have never seen real snow. Just the slushy shit we get here in Texas.
Our winter is actually usually very dry except for high in the mountains. As far as standing snow. We can get snow in odd times of year, well into spring, and early in fall. But most of the time, it's melted w/ in a couple days, or at worst a few days on the roads then just in fields/lawns.

If you want to do a mountain cabin, late august/september is getting prime time with warm to cool with changing leaves season. October you are already starting to getting into may or may not be tough travel if you are traipsing about the mountains vs just along the front range.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I am going to be in Longmont, CO this weekend which is right next to Boulder, and recommendations to places to check out with a weekend?

Sludig

Well, given thread postings, not sure you would like our hippie/millenial #resist mecca of boulder. Mixed with heavy traffic...

Parts of longmont pretty old and rundown, kinda a known rough area, but plenty of nice places to eat and do stuff if you just want to stay put. If you have just a weekend, not sure how much time you have to be driving all around. If you did you can always jump down to I70 into the mountains or highway 66 is right there going up into the mountains past lyons, but I'm unfamiliar with it. (Also mountains may still be shitty from our last blizzard a week ago though it's dry here in the front range) West and north into berthoud has some nice back roads that are faily scenic, mega houses to goggle at. It's especially nice on a motorcycle.

There is Carter Lake resevoir might be worth going to, I've been meaning to go up and check it out since I'm so close by.

Even being a native i'm not much of a tour guide because I dont get out much enough or take things for granted having always been here.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Estes Park would be a fun day trip. The Shining hotel is there and the town still has a very old west feel to it. It's also a very pretty drive.