Budgeting software

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Apologies if there's a thread for this already. I kinda expected there to be but I did not find one.

I currently use mint.com for budgeting. Its algorithm for presorting transactions is a bit retarded. But it's free, so can't really complain.

I'm looking for something that can presort transactions with a reasonable amount of accuracy. IDK, maybe I'd only have to correct 10-15% of them. I've been trying to force Quicken to do this but it's been frustrating.

I'm also starting to suspect that my bank and some of the stores is part of the retardation. They simply don't provide enough information for any algorithm to be useful. Amazon purchase show up on my credit card as just that, Amazon and some dollar amount. Currently, I have to go into my account an associate each purchase with a collection of URLs. It doesn't help that Amazon charges when the item ships, not when the order placed.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I use to use YNAB back in the day but it was very hands on. I stopped using it when they decided to start charging a monthly fee after I had bought their program off of a Steam sale. I don't know how it is now but I know they now have a phone app.

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I use YNAB along with Toolkit for YNAB (chrome extension) which gives it a tad more customization. It does a pretty good job at knowing your imports, but I would suggest you still glance at it at least every 2-3 days. The beginning is the hardest part as you'll spend time initially creating categories and understanding how credit cards work. I suggest watching their videos if you check this out on how to handle credit cards because it has confused a lot of my friends. I am neurotic and check it every day, but it now takes me about 2 minutes now to do everything I need.

I actually like it a lot and it helps keep my spending in check honestly. They have "rules" you're supposed to follow by giving every dollar you own to a category, but I kind of just use it to gauge my spending. I am grandfathered into their original plan, so I get it pretty cheap to what it is now( I think around $84 a year ).

I am pretty sure you get a 30 day trial.

Last edited:

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I am on the YNAB free trial right now. Love it so far. Importing works well enough but I check daily anyways just because I like to be hands on. Most importantly, my wife loves it and checks it everyday. She's not terrible with money but she just never put a lot of thought into it. Now she's all excited about not spending money and watching the green number in each category go up as unused portions get rolled over into the next month. I set the budget for each category, she knows exactly what she can spend on what items and doesn't have to worry about overspending or justifying anything to me.

Definitely think it's going to be worth the fee.