Buying a violin

I didnt know where to post this, so Ill try it out here.

Ive been thinking about it for years and never really got around to it. Anyone give me any advice on buying a violin? I know there are sizes, and probably tons of shitty makers out there.
Can anyone recommend a decent brand to buy? Im not looking to spend thousands, or even hundreds. I wouldnt mind throwing doe $250-300 on a decent violin though, maybe more later on.

iannis

Musty Nester
Go down to your local stoner guitar shop or headshop and ask if they know any local instrument makers. If you can find an instrument maker locally go talk to him. There are a few things in the care of an instrument that you need to be shown rather than told. The maker will also know local violinists that you can take lessons from. You need lessons, even just 30 minutes a week, to correct bad habits before they cement themselves. The ear training and sight reading you can do without a tutor.

A good bow and good strings are more important to your sound quality than the particular construction of the violin itself -- but it's not like you're going to be playing chamber concerts.

It's not like the guitar. It's not an instrument you just pick up and teach yourself to play. It's also not impossible to do! But it's fine motor skills -- you have to train your fingers, and that means a healthy daily time investment.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Where are you at? I know quite a few dealers in various areas.

As far as size goes, I assume you're an adult. You'll want the full size. And that's not a lot to spend on an instrument, so you can't expect it to sound like a professional one. But what was said above is a good point - good strings and a good bow make a huge difference. Plan to spend that much on a bow, too. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's a rude fact of owning a violin.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Some tips (I work in a music shop that does instrument lessons, rentals, and in-house repairs) - find a music shop and stop in. Ask them to show you one and figure out some prices on new and used. If you're serious about learning, you're going to have to commit to 1) lessons with a teacher and 2) an instrument. A decent used instrument (scherl roth or glaesel, student grade) is going to run you probably $300 - 400. Many shops also rent instruments - our store charges $19ish a month to rent a full size violin (no commitment - bring back whenever you're done with it). This might be in your best interest if you want to get the ball rolling on lessons without having to buy an instrument.