Calvary 2014

spronk

FPS noob

Calvary (2014) - IMDb

Theatrical release in USA on August 1st, but bluray rips from Europe have been out for a few days now. Saw this today, while its not a must see I thought it was pretty interesting especially after having watched a bunch of trash big budget movies this week (Robocop, Pompeii, 300:2, Internship) -- it was great watching a movie that had good writing and a small scope. Great actors in it too, including Littlefinger.

I'm sure it doesn't accurately portray Ireland or its people but for me it was fascinating to see how completely different these people think and act than anyone I know, kind of fits in with the typical Irish prejudices of them being cynical, brutally honest, and melancholy. Filmography was beautiful too. I know Europe has been moving away from the catholic church for a while know, but to see the contempt shown towards the church in the movie in a small town was fascinating to me.

For some reason reminded me a bit of Ray Donovan. Also the American writer old guy in the movie is Emmet Walsh, who played the police chief in Blade Runner.

Malice_sl

shitlord
Was a really good critique of broadly held religious views in Ireland, some parts were really funny, overall pretty bleak. His other movie The Guard was really good too.

spronk

FPS noob
oh download subtitles if you watch it at home you will need em in some parts

Szlia

It was shown at a festival I went to a few weeks back, but skipped it as it will be released in theater sometime soon. Everyone I know who saw it (6 people?) liked it very much.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The Guard was such a good movie i will watch this solely because Gleeson is the star. when i saw the trailer i actually kinda thought/hoped that this was the sequel to Guard. the movie ended ambiguously.