Canadian Political Thread

Woefully Inept

Trakanon Raider
52d 22h 40m
How DARE they fly a straight flag!?!?!

New Brunswick village removes 'straight pride' flag amid backlash | CBC News

Residents in a central New Brunswick village are seeking an apology from officials who allowed a "straight pride" flag to be raised in the centre of town.

The appearance of the flag, which was taken down after almost a full day, was met with outrage from some residents, but the man who helped raise it says it wasn't meant to hurt the LBGT community of Chipman, a village of some 1,100 people, about 60 kilometres east of Fredericton.

Adebisi

What a time to be alive
<Donors Crew>
14d 15h 18m
Welp, went to a local film fest last night and was exposed to my first Indigenous land acknowledgement, followed by the offer of a safe space and counseling if you are triggered by the events shown in the film.

:NPC:

Adebisi

What a time to be alive
<Donors Crew>
14d 15h 18m
There's an early episode of Adventure Time where Marceline the Vampire Queen kicks Finn and Jake out of their treehouse because Marceline once carved her initial in the tree hundreds of years ago.

Finn and Jake wander the land and find a cave to live in, only to have Marceline show up again and point out that she put her initial in that cave too.

Land acknowledgements!

Fogel

<Donors Crew>
61d 8h 51m
Former governor general Adrienne Clarkson still bills more than $100,000 a year in expenses

>Hasn't held position since 2005
>Unelected bullshit position
>Still allowed to use expense account since 2005
>Expenses over $1.6 million

Canadian political system is fucking shit
Found this in that article. What the fuck could cost 5 million in 19 days in Russia?

Her expenses also came under heavy scrutiny while she was in office — particularly over an official 19-day trip to Russia, Iceland and Finland that was planned to cost $1 million but ended up at $5.3 million, prompting a House of Commons committee to review her office’s spending. Clarkson defended the expenses by saying she had been asked by the government to make the state visits.

Tripamang

<Donors Crew>
19d 13h 41m
I can get why she might have a budget if she was still active Governor General, but she's retired and she's still getting government hand outs? We should abolish the Governor General and the Senate while we're at it :/ Both of them are complete wastes.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Tripamang

<Donors Crew>
19d 13h 41m
Wow so I guess Trudeau has taken it upon himself to request the personal banking data of 500k people a year to build a database to be used by the government. Note they do this without your permission and you have no way if knowing if they have requested a copy of your data. I can't think of any good reason for the government to need this information outside of an investigation requiring a warrant nor due I trust them to properly secure it. There are so many nefarious things you could do with this information it's just not anything I think the government should be able to just request. 2019 can't come soon enough, and I apologize (like a good Canadian) that I ever voted for Turdeau.

EXCLUSIVE: Stats Canada requesting banking information of 500,000 Canadians without their knowledge

Rebel Media Petition against it:
Justin Trudeau must stop snooping around our banking information

Tripamang

<Donors Crew>
19d 13h 41m
It's a stats Canada thing, not a Trudeau thing. He's just endorsing it. Also, it's 500k per year, so it will reach far more people than just 500k
Fair enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if the federal government can request access to this information to use for it's own purposes. Plus he appointed the people in charge of Statistics Canada so the buck stops at him if he's knowledgeable of what they're doing.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fair enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if the federal government can request access to this information to use for it's own purposes. Plus he appointed the people in charge of Statistics Canada so the buck stops at him if he's knowledgeable of what they're doing.
Yeah, I don't like it at all either. If the banks were able to completely anonymize the data before the government got its hands on it, it wouldn't be a big deal, but that's not how it's going to work. Not only will they have the potential to use the data for whatever means, but there's also the potential for privacy breaches. Our government can't even manage a payroll system correctly, let alone protect the privacy of valuable data like this.

Tripamang

<Donors Crew>
19d 13h 41m
Yeah, I don't like it at all either. If the banks were able to completely anonymize the data before the government got its hands on it, it wouldn't be a big deal, but that's not how it's going to work. Not only will they have the potential to use the data for whatever means, but there's also the potential for privacy breaches. Our government can't even manage a payroll system correctly, let alone protect the privacy of valuable data like this.
It would have to be some pretty insane anonymization because any geolocation data could used in conjunction with something like facebook to start putting times+places together to identify individuals. I remember some large anonymized medical data dumps being released that experts were confident that they couldn't identify individuals but researchers ended up being able to identify people fairly easily with it. The only anonymity I've seen work to date was collecting a bunch of statistical data on individuals then recombining similar incidences from different people to create fake profiles of people that were statistically similar to real ones but with totally fabricated data. I'm not expert on statistics but I have to imagine that doing this in some way flubs important trends you might identify and I wouldn't be surprised if AI could unravel it eventually.

ZCash (fully anonymous crypto) is starting to look like the tech we'll need in the future to maintain some kind of privacy from an ever invading government.