Canadian Political Thread

Adebisi

What a time to be alive
<Donors Crew>
11d 19h 2m
Reactions
24,210 1,224 0 0
As long as I don't hear a couple years from now someone found an excel file on a USB drive in a Tim Hortons bathroom where they forgot to strip out all the names and banking information.

Canada already harvests and trends your medical information. They just strip out names, birthdays, health card numbers, etc.

Tripamang

<Donors Crew>
15d 13h 3m
Reactions
821 40 0 0
As long as I don't hear a couple years from now someone found an excel file on a USB drive in a Tim Hortons bathroom where they forgot to strip out all the names and banking information.

Canada already harvests and trends your medical information. They just strip out names, birthdays, health card numbers, etc.
Another benefit to socialized medicine! Lovely!

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Donor All-Stars>
33d 3h 25m
Reactions
5,230 105 0 0

And you know that is exactly what you will hear in a couple of years. Personal data being exchanged for a 40pack of timbits within next 5 years is almost a given.

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
7,940 1,609 0 0
Another Canadian diplomat in Cuba affected by mysterious brain injury | CBC News

Another Canadian diplomat has reported a traumatic brain injury while stationed in Cuba, bringing to 13 the total number of cases among diplomats and dependents with "unusual health symptoms."
Shit is weird. I can see using some sort of black ops weapon shit on some randoms to test it out, but why diplomats that are going to be scrutinized? It can't be for some super secret purpose as there's no way Canadian diplomats in Cuba are worth the effort.

MusicForFish

Not Blind to the Injustices of the World
<Donors Crew>
25d 20h 19m
Reactions
13,820 2,436 0 0
Another Canadian diplomat in Cuba affected by mysterious brain injury | CBC News

Shit is weird. I can see using some sort of black ops weapon shit on some randoms to test it out, but why diplomats that are going to be scrutinized? It can't be for some super secret purpose as there's no way Canadian diplomats in Cuba are worth the effort.
China trying to expel American, Canadian and Russian diplomats for total control? Probably. They bring all of the goods that the country needs. Well them and Spain. All those new cars, all China. New tech? Phones? I could go on. China China China.

37d 6h 47m
Reactions
15,547 1,609 0 0
When canucks gonna get mad and pull a yellow jacket riot already? How many more millions does Trudeau have to give away before Canuckians revolt?

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
7,940 1,609 0 0
When canucks gonna get mad and pull a yellow jacket riot already? How many more millions does Trudeau have to give away before Canuckians revolt?
We're too busy circle-jerking eachother off about hockey and tim hortons.

Excidium

Lord Nagafen Raider
16d 11h 44m
Reactions
509 46 0 0
Just tie a new tax to the loss of the Vancouver Canucks to cause us to riot. Also put a maple syrup tax on too.

Quaid

17d 16h 3m
Reactions
4,758 567 0 0
I can’t imagine how bad it’d have to get for Canadians to actually give a shit about something.

Heian

Knight of the Realm
2d 5h 41m
Reactions
84 15 0 0
We had some pretty big riot here in Quebec a few years ago during the students crisis.(Different scale I will admit) It's funny how some of the leaders of the students are now in politics...

It was the French speaking students that did the riot.

Pyratec

Knight of the Realm
7d 17h 59m
Reactions
94 3 0 0
We had some pretty big riot here in Quebec a few years ago during the students crisis.(Different scale I will admit) It's funny how some of the leaders of the students are now in politics...

It was the French speaking students that did the riot.
French speaking people protesting and rioting?!?!?! Unheard of!!!!

French People Rioting

Gask

Lord Nagafen Raider
18d 5h 29m
Reactions
2,182 536 0 0
Justin Trudeau’s terrible new election rules will limit citizen activism
Shots fired and from the Washington Post of all places.
Among other things, the new rules will further restrain the degree that Canadians can exercise their constitutional rights to free political speech and activism. Such regulations were passed with the standard progressive smugness that heavily regulating political speech and activity in the name of fairness and equality is unambiguously virtuous. Righteous self-confidence, however, does not negate the practical consequences of this fundamentally illiberal exercise of state power.

Canada’s formal “election period” is now capped at 50 days before election day, with the two months or so before comprising a novel “pre-election” period as well. During “pre-election” time — a concept that has no democratic rationale beyond government’s expansive appetite to control political activity — so-called third parties are treated with as much suspicion as during the tightly regulated elections themselves. Groups and individuals may not spend more than $700,000 on “partisan activities” and “partisan advertising” during this period, and must immediately register with the government after spending their first $500. Ottawa expects a full itemized list of all revenue and expenses incurred, including the date and place of every attempt to change a mind.

Thanks to these amendments and others, the Canada Elections Act is now impossibly long and frighteningly intimidating. Any Canadian who plans to exert any significant expense or effort in persuading his or her fellow citizens to vote one way or another in next year’s election should immediately retain a team of lawyers and accountants, as there is simply no other way to navigate the dense brush of legal weeds that now govern election-adjacent democratic participation in Canada. Rule-breakers can expect thousands of dollars in fines or even prison time.

Things will almost certainly get worse. The paradoxical dream of a perfectly controlled democracy that inspired Trudeau’s Elections Modernization Act (and the many terrible prior election laws it builds upon) is a fundamentally authoritarian project forever finding fresh justification to further constrain citizens’ rights.