Career Advice -- Money Making Potential

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It sounds like she's well aware of who you are and thinks you'd be great for the job. I'd just wait till late January and see if you get contacted. If you don't hear anything from the director/HR director by early February I'd shoot her a quick e-mail and mention it.
This. No need to worry right now since you've already been given an end of January "deadline". Wait until the end of the first week of February and stop by for a quick office chat. Face time is always better than email interaction.

heyholetsgo_sl

shitlord
Move on up to Alberta, Canada and get into the oilfield! Great career opportunities!

We are starving for workers up here. Where I work right now, there are more foreign workers than there are canadian workers. There is so much opportunity here if you are willing to get your hands dirty and work hard(and honestly, its not even that hard.)

Im a 2nd year apprentice pipefitter and im making killer money, working in town(Edmonton), home every night with my girlfriend. As a second year pipefitter I make $32/hour. Journeyman rate is over $40/hour, full benefits, paid vacation, pension, etc.

Last year as a first year apprentice I grossed over $70k with only working 50 hours a week. This year as a 2nd year, im looking to gross over 90k this year, thats with 2.5 years total work experience in the trade.

Heavy duty mechanics, millwrights, welders, pipefitter-steamfitters, iron workers, electricians, scaffolders, pipe insulators, instrumentation tech., any industrial trade and you are set.

It truly is an life changing opportunity if you are willing to take a chance. It would be nice to be working with more people who speak the same language as me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Big thing to keep in mind and to look in to, if you're looking at coming up to Alberta, is that if you already have a trade in the US or elsewhere you need to confirm that you'll be able to have it recognized here. Lots of people show up here saying "hey I'm a plumber from Australia, where's my $40/hour?" and then find out that their plumbing ticket isn't worth a shit here because our plumbing systems are completely different, all plumbers here are also gas-fitters, and they aren't in Australia.

But yeah if you don't currently have a trade and are looking to get in to one, you can be making high 5 figures within a couple years working in town. If you're willing to work in camps and/or put in a lot of overtime, the sky is the limit. Guys with their own welding rigs working in camp can pull 200k+ a year, but the lifestyle can be the shits.

But yeah, provincially the unemployment rate is sub 5%. In particularly industries like construction, it's basically zero again.

Ilum_sl

shitlord
Would love to work in Canada someday, having studied Dutch law makes that somewhat hard though. How long does Canadian law school take on average?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
3 years, I believe. Is Dutch law at all similar to British? Cause we basically just copied their system as far as I understand it (Quebec not included).

Ilum_sl

shitlord
Allas no, the Dutch use the civil law system, not the common law system like you guys apparently do! Will have to figure something out someday!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Looks like the Chinese Government got to the OP and censored all his posts.

Cool_Dude_sl

shitlord
Speaking of the Chinese government, InfoSec is a good spot to be in right now. A lot of training is being paid for right out of the gates for new hires and based on a recent exodus I witnessed, the GCIA is worth $75k-$100k+ (dependent on the SIEM you are familiar with).