Charities that you give money, time etc too

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was wondering where people donate their money and time too. I will list the charities I donate too on a regular basis along with their links if anyone is interested. I have also donated time and volunteered to most of the ones I mention here.

I have donated to Sierra Club since as long as I can remember. I donate automatically each month and will continue to do so as long as I am able. I had some personal experience with Sierra Club in my younger years and have done what I can for them since. They are regularly 4 stars rated on CN etc.

I started donating to this charity after seeing their work on a river rafting/pontoon boat trip awhile back. If you have never heard of them, check them out.

I went to Puerto Rico with some other granola hippies to clean up El Yunque(rainforest) and met some great people from the Rainforest Alliance. It was mind boggling how beautiful this place is. The waterfall pools and the hiking are just incredible. One of my most memorable volunteer trips I have ever taken. They also have a great CN rating always and spend their donations well.

This place is incredible. I was able to spend some time volunteering here reading and entertaining kids by playing music. It was as memorable as any volunteering time I have ever spent. The care that is given to the families and especially the patients is incredible. While they will charge insurance, they never charge patients. They also will help people with expenses for travel, places to stay etc for the families of these kids. I already am planning to go back for a 4th time to volunteer for 2 weeks with 2 of my cousins when they allow it again.

They fight sex trafficking on multiple fronts. I unfortunately know someone who benefited greatly from Polaris's efforts. They are a great organization that does much needed work.

Currently I donate time daily to an app called Be My Eyes. Be My Eyes - See the world together It is a free app that connects blind and low vision people with sighted volunteers and more. When I get a call usually the person just asks me "What is this" or "Is this Vegetable Oil" or the like. They are always very grateful and I can tell you just taking 2 minutes to help one of these folks out puts a big smile on my face.

I go at least once a year to donate my time to one of several environmental organizations and also donate my time at hospitals when able. Coronavirus has kept the latter from happening but hopefully sooner than later, that will change.

I am interested in where you all donate your time and money too. I am always looking for new places to help out if I can.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1041955793c18bac132e4caf6f77d96a.png

i think i've been donating to the wrong rain forest preservation group

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
NRA ILA
CRPA (california Rifle and Pistol Association)
A local ministry. For most of my life they had a food pantry and fed the hungry. Every year they'd do an adapt a family for kids. That was fun. During Trump's booming economy their focus shifted to seniors. I honestly think things were going so well that no one was showing up anymore other than old folks. So we followed them to the senior ministry. Anyway, wife and I would probably like to do something for kids again some day. We went nutso buying gifts for those kids.

We also try to support sex trafficking charities. But everyone one I've checked out has been a bullshit awareness campaign. I want to find a place where if you are a slave or know where one is, you can call them and they will come rescue the person. Is that what polaris does?

I hit up about a dozen of them a few years ago and asked them all the same question. If I was a trafficked slave in the US right now and managed to get in touch with you ... what could you do for me? Not a single could have done anything. Couldn't even give me a number to call to get a rescue. They just raise awareness. Reminds me of a joke by Dough standhope (I think). The people who raise awareness are the worst. If a car runs off the road, instead of going and helping the awareness crowd would just stand on the freeway a few miles away from the scene waving everyone down and saying "Just so you know, there's a bad accident" "OMG do they need help?" "YES!" "Where are they?" "I don't know. somewhere over there I think. Or maybe over there. But it's really horrible and they need help. I'm just trying to raise awareness to help them"

We found a crazy church lady on the other side of town who had a van and had rescued girls from various local cat houses. She also did tours where she'd take people around and show them all the whorehouses in an area. But alas, she's not doing that anymore. I don't know what happened to her, she just sort of fell off the face of the earth.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
NRA ILA
A local ministry. For most of my life they had a food pantry and fed the hungry. Every year they'd do an adapt a family for kids. That was fun. During Trump's booming economy their focus shifted to seniors. I honestly think things were going so well that no one was showing up anymore other than old folks. So we followed them to the senior ministry. Anyway, wife and I would probably like to do something for kids again some day. We went nutso buying gifts for those kids.

We also try to support sex trafficking charities. But everyone one I've checked out has been a bullshit awareness campaign. I want to find a place where if you are a slave or know where one is, you can call them and they will come rescue the person. Is that what polaris does?

I hit up about a dozen of them a few years ago and asked them all the same question. If I was a trafficked slave in the US right now and managed to get in touch with you ... what could you do for me? Not a single could have done anything. Couldn't even give me a number to call to get a rescue. They just raise awareness. Reminds me of a joke by Dough standhope (I think). The people who raise awareness are the worst. If a car runs off the road, instead of going and helping the awareness crowd would just stand on the freeway a few miles away from the scene waving everyone down and saying "Just so you know, there's a bad accident" "OMG do they need help?" "YES!" "Where are they?" "I don't know. somewhere over there I think. Or maybe over there. But it's really horrible and they need help. I'm just trying to raise awareness to help them"

We found a crazy church lady on the other side of town who had a van and had rescued girls from various local cat houses. She also did tours where she'd take people around and show them all the whorehouses in an area. But alas, she's not doing that anymore. I don't know what happened to her, she just sort of fell off the face of the earth.
A lot of sex trafficking charities were more hands on in the beginning. I totally hear your frustration and know it well. The problem is this issue goes into every jurisdiction, country, county etc and is a bureaucratic nightmare. So you get the problem you are talking about. Polaris is more information gathering, lobbying and trying to change laws etc so not what you are looking for. They did at one time have people who either did or could connect you too someone who could more directly help. They have been around since 2002 but there was smaller groups before then that led up to the bigger group. I mean there are individuals and "groups" that personally rescue people from shitholes involved in human trafficking but they either charge a fee or are compensated another way.

I will try and research some and use my contacts in Polaris to see if I can find what you are looking for Hoss Hoss .

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The sad thing is there's a federal number you can call. I think its the doj. Why wouldn't they know that? Anyway yeah I'd like more hands on. I can't donate to or volunteer for the fedboi task force.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I was wondering where people donate their money and time too. I will list the charities I donate too on a regular basis along with their links if anyone is interested. I have also donated time and volunteered to most of the ones I mention here.

I have donated to Sierra Club since as long as I can remember. I donate automatically each month and will continue to do so as long as I am able. I had some personal experience with Sierra Club in my younger years and have done what I can for them since. They are regularly 4 stars rated on CN etc.

I started donating to this charity after seeing their work on a river rafting/pontoon boat trip awhile back. If you have never heard of them, check them out.

I went to Puerto Rico with some other granola hippies to clean up El Yunque(rainforest) and met some great people from the Rainforest Alliance. It was mind boggling how beautiful this place is. The waterfall pools and the hiking are just incredible. One of my most memorable volunteer trips I have ever taken. They also have a great CN rating always and spend their donations well.

This place is incredible. I was able to spend some time volunteering here reading and entertaining kids by playing music. It was as memorable as any volunteering time I have ever spent. The care that is given to the families and especially the patients is incredible. While they will charge insurance, they never charge patients. They also will help people with expenses for travel, places to stay etc for the families of these kids. I already am planning to go back for a 4th time to volunteer for 2 weeks with 2 of my cousins when they allow it again.

They fight sex trafficking on multiple fronts. I unfortunately know someone who benefited greatly from Polaris's efforts. They are a great organization that does much needed work.

Currently I donate time daily to an app called Be My Eyes. Be My Eyes - See the world together It is a free app that connects blind and low vision people with sighted volunteers and more. When I get a call usually the person just asks me "What is this" or "Is this Vegetable Oil" or the like. They are always very grateful and I can tell you just taking 2 minutes to help one of these folks out puts a big smile on my face.

I go at least once a year to donate my time to one of several environmental organizations and also donate my time at hospitals when able. Coronavirus has kept the latter from happening but hopefully sooner than later, that will change.

I am interested in where you all donate your time and money too. I am always looking for new places to help out if I can.
All garbage. I’ve been in philanthropy over 10 years on the grant making side. If anyone is interested in a recommendation on something specific (medical, orphan widow care, legitimate human rights stuff, religious freedom/free speech, water access sanitation and hygiene, etc etc) let me know and I can make recommendations.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
NRA ILA

For international human trafficking I would look at International Justice Mission. Maybe check out Ashton Kutcher’s Thorn - I believe I had them vetted a few years back and they were doing some interesting stuff working with law enforcement.

Human trafficking is tricky. Often people want to get involved to help but it’s not that easy due to safety and security of victims. Like the last person some trafficked Thai girl needs to see is some middle aged white man trying to help her. It’s complicated. Also tons of burnout in that industry as it’s insanely emotionally taxing working in it.

Wish I could be more help with in country. Only orgs I can recommend off the top of my head in country are religious freedom/free speech and helping parents with children with mental disabilities oriented.

Food pantries are meh and anyone giving away free stuff to anyone other than widows and orphans is only doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I know the demi and Ashton one was the most ridiculous of the awareness groups. So you're saying Ashton broke off and did his own.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
For international human trafficking I would look at International Justice Mission. Maybe check out Ashton Kutcher’s Thorn - I believe I had them vetted a few years back and they were doing some interesting stuff working with law enforcement.

Human trafficking is tricky. Often people want to get involved to help but it’s not that easy due to safety and security of victims. Like the last person some trafficked Thai girl needs to see is some middle aged white man trying to help her. It’s complicated. Also tons of burnout in that industry as it’s insanely emotionally taxing working in it.

Wish I could be more help with in country. Only orgs I can recommend off the top of my head in country are religious freedom/free speech and helping parents with children with mental disabilities oriented.

Food pantries are meh and anyone giving away free stuff to anyone other than widows and orphans is only doing more harm than good.
Both those orgs do basically what Hoss Hoss was trying to avoid. Not saying they are not good but they are on the advocacy side of things.

A friend at Polaris recommended Operation Underground Railroad for an org that actually goes out on rescue missions that aren't just Social Workers going in after the police do a raid. They have a group of former operatives/cia etc that do "buys" of children then involve the police. My friend says they do actually do more than that but only say so much on their website. Check it out, I will keep looking and researching.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Both those orgs do basically what Hoss Hoss was trying to avoid. Not saying they are not good but they are on the advocacy side of things.

A friend at Polaris recommended Operation Underground Railroad for an org that actually goes out on rescue missions that aren't just Social Workers going in after the police do a raid. They have a group of former operatives/cia etc that do "buys" of children then involve the police. My friend says they do actually do more than that but only say so much on their website. Check it out, I will keep looking and researching.
Lol no. You know nothing. They’re not awareness groups… Thorn I don’t know too much about but IJM I’m extremely familiar with. Hardly awareness. They work closely with law enforcement in country in actually get results.

It takes a lot more to evaluate the efficacy of a NGO’s work than “my friend says they do good work and this is what they say they do.”

ive seen so many popular NGO’s be complete garbage. I look at a number of key data points when analyzing NGOs - annual budget, debt, employee retention, % of annual budget on board, SWAT analysis, dollar cost of fundraising, leadership evaluation, metrics on what they consider success and how they measure it, etc etc etc, list goes on.

People give their money to a lot of shitty NGOs. I’ve even had NGOs decline to take part in my vetting process because they pretty much know it isn’t pretty what they’d have to write down.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I know the demi and Ashton one was the most ridiculous of the awareness groups. So you're saying Ashton broke off and did his own.
Like I said, I had one of my philanthropic advisors who vets orgs bring up Thorn as he thought they were taking an innovative approach to human trafficking by targeting online and had made some great progress by partnering with law enforcement. I didn’t pursue that giving opportunity so I can’t give you too much detail. IJM does solid work.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
57% income tax means organised charities can kiss my ass.

I give money directly to people that need it, that way I am not paying some CEO/CFO/CTO/... wages with my gift.

• 1Edgelord

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

I give money directly to people that need it, that way I am not paying some CEO/CFO/CTO/... wages with my gift.

cool bro. So how does this work? Do I just PM my venmo info to you or ....?

• 1Worf

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like I said, I had one of my philanthropic advisors who vets orgs bring up Thorn as he thought they were taking an innovative approach to human trafficking by targeting online and had made some great progress by partnering with law enforcement. I didn’t pursue that giving opportunity so I can’t give you too much detail. IJM does solid work.
I would second IJM, my college roommate worked for them for 3 years after graduation. They do good work.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

LMAO imagine not using donor advised funds for your giving in 2021.

Just imagine that if you will.

Seriously anyone doing giving should be using a DAF. Just be careful of some bigger ones. I think Fidelity’s and a few are starting to limit some NGOs you can give to because SPLC “muh hate group.” I’d recommend looking at Christian DAFs, they’ll be the last to bend the knee (hopefully they won’t). I have a great one I can recommend if anyone is interested you can PM me.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol no. You know nothing. They’re not awareness groups… Thorn I don’t know too much about but IJM I’m extremely familiar with. Hardly awareness. They work closely with law enforcement in country in actually get results.

It takes a lot more to evaluate the efficacy of a NGO’s work than “my friend says they do good work and this is what they say they do.”

ive seen so many popular NGO’s be complete garbage. I look at a number of key data points when analyzing NGOs - annual budget, debt, employee retention, % of annual budget on board, SWAT analysis, dollar cost of fundraising, leadership evaluation, metrics on what they consider success and how they measure it, etc etc etc, list goes on.

People give their money to a lot of shitty NGOs. I’ve even had NGOs decline to take part in my vetting process because they pretty much know it isn’t pretty what they’d have to write down.
Foler, I am not gonna get into a pissing contest with you. You already called my experiences garbage including time I volunteered at a children's hospital for fucks sakes. I am glad you donate money/time whatever and appreciate the fact you want to contribute. To each their own and thank you for being willing to engage with charities.

Hoss, I believe is looking for a seriously hands on Human Trafficking charity that does missions basically. These are few and far between. Several that both you and I have mentioned go in with police or after police but I think he wants more hands on than that. Perhaps, I am mistaken. A lot of the groups that work closely with law enforcement basically mean they send in social workers or take the folks after the fact. Some do due diligence and hand over information to the police in the hopes they will do a raid. All of these organizations have their merits and their downfalls no doubt. The problem with larger orgs is they are beholden to all the bureaucracy that comes with their stature.

I wish I had better info for a more hands on group for you Hoss but mostly I am finding what I have already mentioned. Advocacy has its place but there should be direct action numbers for groups that will help someone at a moments notice.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1EyeRoll

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
2/3 of the American Governments yerarly spending is entitlements and handouts. Thats all the charity i feel like paying into.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like