Chess

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If you ever want a glimpse of the different realm high-level players operate in, here's Hikaru doing puzzles for speed. He solves them faster than I can even focus my eyes on the pieces to start to interpret the position.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
If you ever want a glimpse of the different realm high-level players operate in, here's Hikaru doing puzzles for speed. He solves them faster than I can even focus my eyes on the pieces to start to interpret the position.

Kinda crazy the difference between 2800 and us fucking plebs down here at 1k on a good day.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Chess is such a perishable skill, too. I got to 1100 in bullet, then switched over to rapid to farm some rating there, got up to 1400, switched back to Bullet and I *immediately* lost 200 rating.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Chess is such a perishable skill, too. I got to 1100 in bullet, then switched over to rapid to farm some rating there, got up to 1400, switched back to Bullet and I *immediately* lost 200 rating.

Your rating will fluctuate in a +- 200 point range pretty much your entire chess playing career

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Hans banned 2024 from any St. Louis Chess Club events.

Story pending, not sure what he did. (Outside the original cheating claim)

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Hans banned 2024 from any St. Louis Chess Club events.

Story pending, not sure what he did. (Outside the original cheating claim)

Looks like he was acting like a shithead, threw some kind of a fit, and damaged his hotel room.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
lol

He is quickly becoming my favorite.

Going all "Led Zepplin" on his hotel room and got lifetime ban from the hotel.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Anyone ever done any OTB play?

Turns out there's a USCF club in town that took over an old mall location and runs tournaments M-Th and on the weekends. Would have to join the USCF, but with how bad the cheating has gotten online, you are always left wondering if that guy *really* just found that brilliant move that swung the game completely.

Seriously considering doing it just to have something to do, but it looks like last week's games had the lowest rated player being USCF 1600, which would be a helluva floor for a guy who's never done any OTB. Probably just be paying money to get my ass kicked every week

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

Turns out there's a USCF club in town that took over an old mall location and runs tournaments M-Th and on the weekends. Would have to join the USCF, but with how bad the cheating has gotten online, you are always left wondering if that guy *really* just found that brilliant move that swung the game completely.

Seriously considering doing it just to have something to do, but it looks like last week's games had the lowest rated player being USCF 1600, which would be a helluva floor for a guy who's never done any OTB. Probably just be paying money to get my ass kicked every week

I used to play in tourneys back in the mid 90s, so my experience is way in the past and i have no idea if it would apply here. I always enjoyed doing it and it was always a good experience for me. I always looked at playing a higher rated opponent as an opportunity to push myself but also to learn more about the game. I almost always lost but it always a good learning experience. Participating in person is good as you can talk to your opponent after the game about the game and learn their thoughts.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
That was kinda my thoughts about it as well. Read something about a guy who was playing an OTB game at his regular Wednesday night thing and they both sat talking about a particular position for an hour, before they went home and put it into the engine the next day. That's the kinda shit I think would really benefit people, especially if all you play is 3-10 minute games

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well, I took a look at the local chess club, spent a couple hours out there watching various games. Place was in the basement of a mall, pretty diverse group - all men, but all ages/ethnicities. Basically what you'd expect. Since I had no cell service, I was essentially just eyeballing positions and was pretty sure I knew what was going on. Later on, I put them in the engine and things I thought were overwhelmingly winning were actually 0.0 15-20 moves into a game. Shit like crazy g4 pawn pushes outta the opening. Also, lowest guy there is USCF rated 1600, and absolutely no one was willing to venture a guess how that translated into any online ratings. Given all that, seemed pointless to join the USCF and this club and pay for games just to get my as kicked by a 10 year old rated 1900.

Also, no discussion of any type in between games. Just people grinding rating. Little disappointed, not gonna lie.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I captained my high school chess team.

You should do it, it's a good learning experience.

The type of people who play OTB chess (and are not senior citizens) will make EQ poop sockers look normal and adjusted though

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Well, I took a look at the local chess club, spent a couple hours out there watching various games. Place was in the basement of a mall, pretty diverse group - all men, but all ages/ethnicities. Basically what you'd expect. Since I had no cell service, I was essentially just eyeballing positions and was pretty sure I knew what was going on. Later on, I put them in the engine and things I thought were overwhelmingly winning were actually 0.0 15-20 moves into a game. Shit like crazy g4 pawn pushes outta the opening. Also, lowest guy there is USCF rated 1600, and absolutely no one was willing to venture a guess how that translated into any online ratings. Given all that, seemed pointless to join the USCF and this club and pay for games just to get my as kicked by a 10 year old rated 1900.

Also, no discussion of any type in between games. Just people grinding rating. Little disappointed, not gonna lie.

How was the BO level?

Pterodactyl159

Lord Nagafen Raider

I’m 1540 uscf
Chess.com 1600s
Lichess 1800s-1900s

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user